Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15400 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Things Could Have Gone Worse [SG]
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:51 am »

Damn, we can't take new recruits unless we start farming food. Because each recruit apparently costs 0,7 credits, and our net results is just of 0,5.

We need to start farming our own food then, and use our reserves of credits to pay the upkeep meanwhile.

Also, those two hired guards are too expensive, as they take 33% of our income, and are in training. I don't like it, but i don't think we can just fire them.

So, how about this alternative plan:

Eturi goes to look for only two recruits (it is a deficit of 0,9 credits this year and with the saved two credits we can afford both furniture and the extra people). One is to be trained as a fire mage, and the other as a plant mage. We need replacements for our mages. If they die while discovering what they are useful for, then I guess that we go and look for more.

Next year we may sart to farm our own food, and thus decrease upkeep.

The rest stays the same, and Vorg can work with the fire grenade at the same time the sound grenade is being worked on.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:24 am »

Sure. I'm still doubtful of the sound grenade. But I think the fire grenade is at least worth trying. Hopefully with Vorg making the physical receptacles for the mana batteries will help, since he can make them symbolically appropriate for his own magic.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:55 am »

I think we can have as many recruits as we want enter pyromancy, especially if we're giving them to the king for 8 years.  He'll be the one paying them.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »

I doubt that we will be giving them to the king while their abilities are sub-par

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »

Yeahhhhh. I somehow doubt "minor damage at melee range" is something the king is looking for in a soldier.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2016, 01:10:25 pm »

I mean under Vork.  Vork is the really useful guy, and have him have a ton of pupils at the same time.  Then we get best of both worlds

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2016, 04:18:12 pm »

Also, those two hired guards are too expensive, as they take 33% of our income, and are in training. I don't like it, but i don't think we can just fire them.
These two would be happy enough to cut ties with you and join the army. You'll be able to hold onto the weapons, assuming they will be used for more of your guards, but the armor would need more expensive maintenance to be adjusted again, and would go with them.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:50 pm »

These two would be happy enough to cut ties with you and join the army. You'll be able to hold onto the weapons, assuming they will be used for more of your guards, but the armor would need more expensive maintenance to be adjusted again, and would go with them.

Hmmm. The village is not outright hostile to us, so maybe we can make do without them, and that will allow us to buy more luxuries or expand our possessions.

I suppose that with both Vorg and te three guards we would have enough protection. Plus, maybe we can use the opportunity to beg more guards from the king.

So, let them go. Next year we will have two more credits, which is equivalent to almost three apprentices.

You know what? Increase by three the amount of apprentices we get. One extra plant mage, and two extra pyromancers.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:10 pm »

What. I'm fairly sure we can't just pick and choose what type of apprentices we get. Also we got the guards in the first place for a reason, three isn't enough for when we want to split up. :/

I think we should just focus on trying to get something for the king in two years. A pile of dead bodies and shitty apprentices isn't going to be worth jack.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2016, 05:50:48 pm »

Umm, once we get someone who knows what he is doing (level 2), he can teach another apprentice and reduce the chances of it dying horrible.

Take for example how Father Riegmen managed to teach Vitamancy to Stavros.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2016, 06:04:12 pm »

Ah. I was under the assumption that was got lucky with that, and that the average result of that action was death.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - The Founding [SG]
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2016, 06:24:48 pm »

This is what makes me say what I said, though:

It is somewhat easier if they're awakening under someone who understands the magic type, rather than going in blindly.

((I think I've mentioned that people have a high tendency to die when trying to learn magic without adequate guidance, and that level 1s barely know what they're doing.))

Miss Sara has a brief thought, chuckles darkly at the thought of the first magic guild ending with guild-wide suicide, and continues eating her meal.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2016, 06:51:07 pm »

Umm, once we get someone who knows what he is doing (level 2), he can teach another apprentice and reduce the chances of it dying horrible.
Yes.

(Level 1s can teach potentiates, if you really need a second person in that type of magic, but they really don't understand their magic well, and I'll leave the DC you need to pass to your imaginations.)

Ah. I was under the assumption that was got lucky with that, and that the average result of that action was death.
I feel like I cheated us all out of a good time by looking at the rolls before having Stavros decide to learn Vitamancy at the last minute =(

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2016, 07:00:53 pm »

I feel like I cheated us all out of a good time by looking at the rolls before having Stavros decide to learn Vitamancy at the last minute =(

Which means that the DC is way more nicer?

I have a question which I suppose will have to be answered through research: could the apprentice can fail to discover magic, but survive?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2016, 07:11:31 pm »

I have a question which I suppose will have to be answered through research: could the apprentice can fail to discover magic, but survive?
No, it's not like they're going to just give up on magic after 30 minutes of nothing happening. They'd keep trying until they die (or take a break and sleep until the next day, if it really takes too long, which won't matter when turns take a year).
Your talent finders aren't getting false positives on whether or not someone can learn magic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13