Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15420 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Things Could Have Gone Worse [SG]
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2016, 11:12:56 am »

I think that the King will eventually cut us off from his financial support, so I think that we should work on becoming self-sustaining.
I'd rather work on becoming useful to the king, but these are semi-identical anyway. Useful means money, not useful means not money.

Eturi works on writting down what she knows. Once she has done so, we can start trainign more people in a profitable kind of magic.
I'd point out that while crops are profitable, they are ultimately something anyone can do. We might have better luck in the long term with areas that are exclusive or much flashier with magic.

We should also consider getting the sound elementalist some kind of work as a smith so that he is useful (I don't like his school of magic, frankly).
Yeaaaaaah, I've been trying to figure out what he'd be good at and aren't coming up with much. Maybe fancy music? I tried thinking about combat applications for our dear king, but noisemaking just sounds like- oh, delivering orders across long distances? We could totally invent radios with him, I think. Assume. Hope?

Point is I don't like his school either, but smithing still feels like a waste of talent. We're a magic guild, not a mundane craftsguild.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2016, 12:02:57 pm »

Sound seems like it could be useful in some weaponry. Sonic based stuff or whatever....

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2016, 12:30:06 pm »

He can make himself completely silent, so long as he's making a token effort at not physically moving loudly. He is able to make someone close to him quite loud, or significantly quieter. He can also just cause pain at close range with a really loud directed noise.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2016, 12:44:42 pm »

He can also just cause pain at close range with a really loud directed noise.

Okay, we are making noise grenades. Forget the heatstones. We are now making Deafening stones!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2016, 07:51:50 pm »

The guild buckles down for a year of magical training and recording their findings - They all manage to record everything they think useful during the year. Candles, parchment storage cases, and a lonely-looking bookshelf are bought, while Miss Sara squirrels away the last of the money.

Vorg Rocksplitter announces that he has made significant progress with pyromancy. He demonstrates being able to fling both a large spread of singeing flame and a more concentrated fire as far as a bowman can shoot, the ability to control flames covering his body, and throwing a circular blast of flames around himself.

Vorg says that him serving in the army for an eight year term may fulfill the king's request, and that he would like to try (Miss Sara looks quite unhappy at the suggestion). He suggests a search for new recruits next year, so he can begin training a replacement, so pyromancy will not be lost to the guild if he falls in battle.

The village is annoyed that only one guild member helps with the road, and become somewhat colder towards them.

Eturi mentions that she is quite interested in her food cultivation project. Not only does she enjoy gardening, but she thinks working on it may eventually allow her to develop farmable food crops that will grow in the area, improving the village's food output.

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Vorg Rocksplitter's Fire Magic is now at level 2.

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone out, from three months to a year, looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

Cultivate food.
 The traders charge too much for food. Eturi is accustomed to using her magic to grow her own. It would be a drain on her time, especially as the land isn't well-suited for it, but she could grow enough to feed everyone in the guild.
 Be aware that the traders would be forced to stop coming as frequently, which would slightly reduce the loyalty gain from luxuries, among possible other effects.
 She cannot start this while participating in another mission.

Explore the Ruins.
 An abandoned city is a few months of travel away. Miss Sara would like to explore it. She believes that the trip would be a fun bonding experience that would improve the loyalty of anyone she takes. This would take half a year.

Financial Decisions
Including saved funds, you have enough for two choices.
 A loyalty boost is worth considering. Buying some luxury goods and better furniture would help.
 The new house could be further expanded, with a dedicated storage room or a more comfortable dormitory for males (2 gives an extra room, 3 gives two extras.)
 The village has a few small festivals every year, which could be made fancier. Buying some consumable luxuries for the village for several years would slowly improve their views of you.

((I'm changing the financial things to use credits.
Vorg rolled a nat100 on his roll to not randomly die. His heart and brain are now made of fire, and cannot be destroyed without magic Wait, that's too overpowered for this game. Sorry, but it seems the roll is wasted.))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2016, 08:08:36 pm »

Welp, I'd really rather not loose our best fire mage for 8 to infinity years. But it seems we've more or less hit the time limit. Unless we can make something of worth right now to show the king, we're not going to have time to prototype it (unless I miss my guess and we can go to show it the turn that it moves to 'zero years left'). Also it seems like it's moved from "hoping to see something useful" to "expecting to see something useful." So the time limit seems a bit more important to not fail on.

Maybe we can try to prototype it now? At least try? But that might be dangerous...

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2016, 08:51:07 pm »

This is what I vote.  We spend this year getting quite a few recruits.  We initiate them all into pyromancy, then present them + Vork to the king.  This'll fulfill his demands, hopefully get us $$, and then we send our entire fire guild off as an investment.  And in 8 years, let's see who comes back!  This idea actually seems awesome too me, and I think that we'll get a serious funding boost, and that we'll get some sweetly skilled pyromancers back.  Nothing trains talent like the flame of war.  Yep.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2016, 08:52:52 pm »

(also you totally should give him something.  Just say he can't kill himself with magic.  IDK. Something. He's earned it :D)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:29 pm »

Also it seems like it's moved from "hoping to see something useful" to "expecting to see something useful." So the time limit seems a bit more important to not fail on.
The king does have people keeping him informed about how your guild is doing.

In half a decade you have +1 mage, but killed off two of his men and the more experienced half your founding members, including the leader/diplomat and the healer. In return, you gained a guy who can partially stun, a hermit who grows plants, and a nobody who can walk quietly.

Impressive work, nameless guild.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2016, 09:00:53 pm »

No more recruits. I'm tired of murdering every single bright-eyed potentiate who comes to the Guild. Let's at least wait until they have a chance.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2016, 09:03:10 pm »

No more recruits. I'm tired of murdering every single bright-eyed potentiate who comes to the Guild. Let's at least wait until they have a chance.
We need recruits!!! And less will die cuz our new pyromancer can help them out.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:43 am »

As far as I'm aware, having apprentices start under the tutelage of a mage of level 2 or more may help them not to die.

So, I say this:

Vorg, Eturi and two king's guards go to look for recruits. The idea is to get at least two to follow pyromancy, and two to follow plant magic. The rest can go kill themselves while discovering magic.

The rest of the year, Vorg and Eturi teach those apprentices. The next year Eturi will have more people to tend the fields. It is going to be good practice, and make everyone happy.

Sara works with Basel to create a kind of device that explodes emitting a lot of sound, using destruction, infusion and sound magic. If stones can't explode, use clay or something that shatters. Obviously, they should practice this outside of the village, so that they don't bother anyone.

Stavros should work on his vitamancy. We are going to need a healer so that our next recruits don't die.

Money: buy proper furniture for the buildings. Better beds, places to sit, or anything that makes them cozy. We want recruits to want to stay, beside the fact that we are feeding them. Just use one credit point it this.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2016, 09:55:03 am »

I'm fine with Tomcost's plan, then, except only the four we're going to train. Seriously, if we keep taking all these people's sons and daughters and making them disappear in the woods, they will kill us.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:46 am »

I'm fine with Tomcost's plan, then, except only the four we're going to train. Seriously, if we keep taking all these people's sons and daughters and making them disappear in the woods, they will kill us.
Then I support this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2016, 10:02:25 am »

We can't afford more new recruits without more money. And also I'm not convinced that merely level 1 in a area is going to be enough power for such a device... I think we should try to have Vorg use fire in the device instead.

Also I mean. I don't think we need anyone but Eturi searching, she found a TON of people on her own, it's probably not really needed to send more people with her even if we wanted more recruits, unless sending someone of a type shifts the probability towards that type...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13