Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15416 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - The First Recruit [SG]
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2016, 11:08:26 am »

That's a fair point Irony. On examination of my feelings for why I was thinking it was important to gamble and get a strong core up and running, I realize it was because I was more afraid of some outside threat greater then death via incompetence and shitty mushroom based infection flukes. IE, having a bunch of level 1s and stuffed into some shitty shacks won't help us nearly as much as actually being important to the kingdom and having something useful if like, a war starts or the village turns against us or whatever. However, that's really... An unfounded fear I guess? I suppose we know that the way things are going we're going to get totally fucked already by rushing and stuff, and there's really no evidence to suggest that some cataclysmic event is in the future. I pushed for gambling when there's no reason to think that gambling is even required. Perhaps not the most intelligent idea.

I think it's still questionable if a bunch of level ones will even add like, enough, to the search for people. Level two is apparently significantly better for searching for people after all... I guess we'll find out though.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

[...] and there's really no evidence to suggest that some cataclysmic event is in the future. I pushed for gambling when there's no reason to think that gambling is even required.
Heh.

Current roster:
Spoiler: Miss Sara Mesken (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vorg Rocksplitter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stavros Vasilis (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eturi (click to show/hide)
You also have three guards.

Full-year search selected. If you should somehow mostly fill your financial support early, they'll return home for dedicated training.
Please form groups. A single group is also permissible.
Please consider securing your property.
Please decide what new recruits will do.
 You could mass-sacrifice them to the RNG shortly after they leave their towns, for maximum gain, but this may upset loyalty.
 You could bring them home and have some sort of a ceremony first, possibly setting out again if there's still time, for less of a loyalty loss.
 You could try to get X recruits guided into specified existing skills, before randomizing any leftovers (or have people try to guide leftovers, too).

((Note: I'd failed to include Eturi's mundane skills on her sheet: Plant Lore 2 and Forest Survival 1.))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2016, 11:57:34 am »

I think we want an enchanter, if there's a way to guide people, and we can guide people to things other then what we already have. Is there any benefit or downside to the ceremony, vis a vis their survival rate? Or does just making them feel comfortable and stuff before their inevitable death help the people who survive's loyalty higher?

Anyyyyway. I think maybe keep one guard behind to start trying to train replacement guards, and the other two can go with the group. Ether one guard with Sara Vorg and Stavros and one with Eturi, or just all six people together.

New recruits train in whatever their magic is I guess?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:01:39 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2016, 12:11:30 pm »

I think we want an enchanter, if there's a way to guide people, and we can guide people to things other then what we already have.
You need either people who know the magic, or to have sufficient recorded knowledge of that magic.

Is there any benefit or downside to the ceremony, vis a vis their survival rate? Or does just making them feel comfortable and stuff before their inevitable death help the people who survive's loyalty higher?
It's just for making them feel comfortable and helping with loyalty. It leaves their first impression of you as being something other than a meatgrinder looking for talent.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2016, 12:24:59 pm »

Alright. Well, whatever to the guiding thing. And, sure, lets lies to our new recruits for a bit. Let them think that we aren't just a meatgrinder looking for talent.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2016, 03:23:27 pm »

I say we recruit new guards from outside the village while we're searching for magical talent. It'll go over better if... you know.

For groups, I say Sara/Vorg/One Guard, Stavros/Eturi/One Guard, one guard guarding our meager possessions. New recruits can get settled in first; don't think of it as lying to them about our intentions, think of it as setting things up as a happy friendship thing before the dark twist occurs and our remaining main character has to struggle on alone with their grim past and all-consuming mission.

We can get the three guards to split their time between guarding and training the new guards when everyone gets back.

Other than having knowledge on hand, is there anything we can do to improve newbie survival rates?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 04:43:00 pm »

The guild holds a meeting, and a decision is easily reached: They need to rapidly expand their ranks.

Miss Sara meets with the Faisia elder to try to recruit some young men from his family as guards. He is reluctant to part with anyone, especially as getting military training from outsiders would cost him too much political capital against the other factions. After further negotiations, she cannot talk him down to an acceptable price.

The guild splits into three groups for the year: One guard stays behind to guard the guild property. He reports no serious complications, but is unwilling to guard the guild's property alone again.

The second group consists of Miss Sara, Vorg, Stavros, and the second of the king's guards. They manage to find three potentiates. One does not survive the return trip - Stavros reports that he was rather eager for magic, insistent on not waiting, and secretly had Stavros guide him as he tried to learn necromancy. The potentiate failed; Stavros is quite sorry. He is also sorry that they were still so close to the town, and narrowly escaped their pursuers after the loud and gristly failure. They may need to avoid Zenusonine's Rest for several years.

They also recruit two former farmhands looking for glory, to serve as guards. Armor from the deceased guards is cleaned, then re-purposed to fit them.

The third group is only Eturi and the final guard. She returns at the end of the year with seven potentiates. She seems to have a knack for finding potentiates. A bit of testing reveals that she's also pretty good at finding where the other mages are, too. (Trait discovered: Improved Magesense!)

A ceremony is held for the nine surviving potentiates. They are split off into groups of three, each group goes into the forest led by a mage and guard (in case someone turns into a berserk monster and needs to be put down), and focuses on unlocking their potential.

Only two survive the experience. Most die quickly. One turns into a horrible thing who's keening wails of agony echo through the forest and village for several seconds before the guard collects his wits and ends its life.

One survivor dies the next day, while trying to figure out what her magic is. The other survivor, (Basel, aged 30,) becomes a sound elementalist. ((You may now celebrate!))

Vorg made good progress training this year, and would like to spend all of next year practicing his fire magic.

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone out, from three months to a year, looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

Cultivate food.
 The traders charge too much for food. Eturi is accustomed to using her magic to grow her own. It would be a drain on her time, especially as the land isn't well-suited for it, but she could grow enough to feed everyone in the guild.
 Be aware that the traders would be forced to stop coming as frequently, which would slightly reduce the loyalty gain from luxuries, among possible other effects.
 She cannot start this while participating in another mission.

Explore the Ruins.
 An abandoned city is a few months of travel away. Miss Sara would like to explore it. She believes that the trip would be a fun bonding experience that would improve the loyalty of anyone she takes. This would take half a year.

Maintaining the Road.
 The dirt road leading from the village to the nearest town needs frequent maintenance, and they will be working at it this year. It's questionable how useful your magic would be here, but showing the guild's face as hard workers would be much better for your reputation than acting like free-loading slackers. Estimated time: 3 months. (Note that, due to close work with the villagers and heavy labor, there will not be small amounts of on-the-side training for participants, as there usually is for extended quests.)

Financial Decisions
Including saved funds, you have enough for two choices. (Feeding so many potentiates was expensive.)
 Buy candles and improved parchment storage, making writing easier and keeping scrolls safer. (Only once, increases upkeep).
 A loyalty boost is worth considering. Buying some luxury goods and better furniture would help.
 The new house could be further expanded, with a dedicated storage room or a more comfortable dormitory for males (2 gives an extra room, 3 gives two extras.)

Spoiler: Basel (click to show/hide)

Other than having knowledge on hand, is there anything we can do to improve newbie survival rates?
You do not know enough to know that.

Miss Sara hypothesizes that any of the following might help: a highly skilled vitamancer, an advanced series of runes beyond her current comprehension, if the guild were to get someone specialized in the sensing and/or manipulation of raw mana, being able to divine the future to tell new potentiates what not to do, or outright time travel.

Stavros chimes in that binding the souls of potentiates before they try to unlock their potential, to find out from them where the point of failure- Er, would be heavily frowned upon by the gods, and is not something they should try on people they want to join.

Basel says that maybe they should just stop for a while and focus on figuring out magic so they don't just kill ninety percent of their new recruits outright.

Vorg responds that this omake has gotten entirely too silly, and that he doesn't even want to drag Stavros off for morality training anymore.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Things Could Have Gone Worse [SG]
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »

10% survival rate. There's bad at this, and there's Wizard Approved.

So first things first, we need to start recording our knowledge. I say we buy the library upgrade and have Stavros and Sara begin recording their knowledge, while Vorg and Eturi get the okay to train all year (on whatever they want, for efficiency), and Basel gets his compassion put to good use aiding the villagers with their stupid road (and training the rest of the year).

However, henceforth it should be guild policy for anyone training to record their most interesting finds.

I don't want to risk Sara and spare everyone we'd want to become more loyal (so everyone) yet, so I don't like the ruins. Eturi growing our food is profitable, but we don't particularly need money at the moment, do we? Plus she's our new recruiter, so she may be busy enough as is. I don't think we need more storage space or comfier dorms either, at least relative to our constant and unrelenting death everywhere.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2016, 05:38:41 pm »

I removed the "record your knowledge" options because everyone will do that automatically while at home, with no loss in efficiency. Given a full year of training, Eturi's the only one who might have any problems recording everything she can in a single year, and she might not die this year.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »

Stavros chimes in that binding the souls of potentiates before they try to unlock their potential, to find out from them where the point of failure- Er, would be heavily frowned upon by the gods, and is not something they should try on people they want to join.

As totally terrible as this seems I think dipping into the darkness like this is probably a good idea for the future. Trying to protect people from a process we don't understand is like using a condom on a machine gun. The best thing you can say about it is the targets probably not going to end up pregnant.

I agree, get the library upgrade and have everyone start training. Except the newbie, who can go work. Since he likes the mortals so much. Guh, he might as well marry them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:09 am »

As totally terrible as this seems I think dipping into the darkness like this is probably a good idea for the future. Trying to protect people from a process we don't understand is like using a condom on a machine gun. The best thing you can say about it is the targets probably not going to end up pregnant.
I don't think we should give up on trying to protect candidates, but I agree with casting a wide net on the subject.

Plus best case we unlock the ability to grant magical potential to candidates at will, which is, um, a blasphemy without equal and not something we'd ever do. Clearly.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2016, 01:05:34 am »

I think we should maximize a couple of things this turn.  Let's have our magesense go find more people with 2 guards.  We'll have the recruit build the road, and then everyone else can mostly train.  But then we get recruits, who we don't even have to initiate into magic yet!!!  We can use the more mundane labor to 'train the mind'.  Who knows, it might actually work! That's my vote.  I think if we kept bringing in fresh blood with just one searcher, that's what we need.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2016, 01:41:19 am »

The problem with getting fresh blood now is that we have no way to effectively use them, but still have to feed and store them. I'd rather try to get us better set up to turn potentiates into something useful, which I think means training ourselves up so that we have more knowledge to spare and protective magics to use.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2016, 10:00:16 am »

I think that the King will eventually cut us off from his financial support, so I think that we should work on becoming self-sustaining.

So, I would go for this:

Eturi works on writting down what she knows. Once she has done so, we can start trainign more people in a profitable kind of magic.

Use one spending point in the better library, and another in proper furniture for a loyalty boost.

Work on maintaining the road, because we need good relations with the people of the village if we eventually would want to work on our own. Everybody helps.

The rest of the year everybody trains. Once we get proper knowledge, we will be able to succeed in things on our own.

We should also consider getting the sound elementalist some kind of work as a smith so that he is useful (I don't like his school of magic, frankly).

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:35 am »

... We're gonna kill everyone, guys. Besides, is 10% really a bad thing right now? i see no reason to care about them
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13