Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15402 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - The First Recruit [SG]
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 05:24:30 pm »

Then let's get the necromancer training! Woo.
I vote build a nice house, with three rooms.
Investing in permanent capital is really helpful.
Heatstone practice and a new recruit also seem like good ideas.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 05:38:20 pm »

Then let's get the necromancer training! Woo.
I vote build a nice house, with three rooms.
Investing in permanent capital is really helpful.
Heatstone practice and a new recruit also seem like good ideas.
+1 If the new recruit is the "Witch".
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »

This king is a man after my own heart. So, idea for military application, we can't make constant effect magic items because we don't have enchanting, but with infusion we can make power sources for powerful spells and runecrafting for situational effects, how about something that uses runecrafting for a single use spell tied to the totems, using infusion for the power and fire and destructive magic. Something like, snap or pull off part of the totem, throw it, and it explodes, releasing the infused magic all at once instead of over time? Magical grenade? Honestly it probably wouldn't be that impressive (unless I'm overestimating our ability to mass produce anything) but it seems like something actually worthwhile we might be able to achieve in a 5 year time limit. We'd almost certainly need Infusion 2 and fire or destruction or both 2. Maybe runecrafting 2 as well. So, some training needed.

I think we need to start making a library for magical knowledge now as well. Father Bloom is clearly just one tip toe away from the grave.

Edit: Actual turn vote

Hagel: Go get the witch. Then start spending your time smoozing the villagers. What else did we take such a social butterfly for anyway?

Bloom: Keep healing the village, you'll roll that nat one someday. Also keep training your ability to not kill people with healing.

Sara: Train infusion

Vorg: Train Fire

Stavros: Kill self try to learn flesh from father Hagel

Money: Add on two rooms and purchase the required goods to start preserving magical knowledge. One of the new rooms shall be set aside for library and recording use.

Training: Low intensity
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:23:57 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »

Leader Hagel sets out with a pair of guards to find the so-called witch. He has an easy time finding her, almost as though his magic was leading the way. She is surprised to see him, and quite pleased when he mentions being in charge of a magic guild sanctioned by the king, while a guard presents a letter, marked by the king's seal, confirming it. She agrees to join, and is a (level 2) plant elementalist.

On the way back through the forest, Hagel and the guards notice rashes on their legs, but think little of it at the time.

Father Riegmen Bloom died in his sleep. The outbound group returns to find a stressed Miss Sara Mesken trying to haggle with merchants for the house-materials the village cannot supply, with Vorg and Stavros drinking away at a cheap yet vile alcohol. Hagel shortly joins them.

There is one point of good news: Bloom noticed he would be passing soon, and lacked the ability to do more than stave off the end. He spoke with Stavros of his approaching end, who agreed to take up the path of Vitamancy. With the old priest's guidance, Stavros managed to learn the basics of Vitamancy.

In the following weeks, a much-saddened Hagel spends most of his time trying to get to know the villagers, and helping them with small tasks where possible. One day, he wakes up in pain and unable to walk. He finds that the rash has started to appear in patches elsewhere on his body, and turned black on his legs. Eturi, the witch, completely freaks out.

In her angry, confused yelling, it's revealed that Hagel and the guards now have a deadly fungal infection. She only has a weak control over fungi, but had been working towards studying Blackcap and trying to cure it. At this late stage, it's spread throughout the body, and she just can't do anything to save infected organs. If they had mentioned it earlier, like people who want to live do when finding strange new diseases while traveling, she could have fixed it much more easily. As it stands ...

Former-leader Hagel Vosenmark's funerary rites are held nine days later. Would he have been great? Who can say. With both experienced guild members suddenly dead, Miss Sara Mesken has seniority, and takes up the mantle of leader.

The mood is subdued for the rest of the year. The three-room house is finished. Miss Sara and Eturi move into one room, while the second is saved as a library and the main room will be used as for storage and as a general meeting and leisure area. Back at the initial structure, the main room serves as secondary storage and a place for smaller conversations, one room acts as a barracks, and one room beds Vorg and Stavros.

With the money not spent on feeding Hagel and Father Riegmen, parchment, ink, and writing materials are purchased.

The Faisia send their condolences on the guild's losses.

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Training Decisions
Guild members will automatically record their knowledge. Eturi knows a good deal more, and could shave off training time this year to record her knowledge more quickly. She is 37 years old.

Training is currently set to low intensity.

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone out, from three months to a year, looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

Heatstone Practice
 Making them is good practice, and should blend well into Miss Sara and Vorg making something the military can use, once they're more experienced.

Finding more guards
 Two guards are dead, and three is barely adequate. The king may send replacements, but this would hurt his opinion of the guild. You could alternatively find a veteran mercenary or two, or hire some youths from a nearby town and have your guards train them.

Financial Decisions
You have enough money to spread 3 ways.
 Buy candles and improved parchment storage, making writing easier and keeping scrolls safer. (Only once, increases upkeep).
 A loyalty boost may be in order after last year. Buying some luxury goods and better furniture would help.
 The new house could be further expanded, with a dedicated storage room or a more comfortable dormitory for males (2 gives an extra room, 3 gives two extras.)
 You'll need to spend some money if you want to hire mercenaries or begin training your own new guards.

((Your had some pretty bad rolls, but Stavros saved the day. Ish.))

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »

Lets have Stavros & Eturi Teach each other what little they know (because undead plants sound Awsome).
Sara Should do the same with Varg.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 06:53:41 pm »

((I think I've mentioned that people have a high tendency to die when trying to learn magic without adequate guidance, and that level 1s barely know what they're doing.))

Miss Sara has a brief thought, chuckles darkly at the thought of the first magic guild ending with guild-wide suicide, and continues eating her meal.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 07:12:49 pm »

Well. Rip. A lot of stuff. Christ, I was hoping Bloom would hold off for another year or two to get his shit written down. but, I guess, rip.

Sara and Vorg keep practicing.

Stavro Practice Vitamancy (wowowow he actually learned it? I thought he was going to die. It's sorta shitty but this is a lot better then having no one at all. Do people with vitamancy help reduce the impact of bad rolls?)

Eturi: Plant magic sounds worthless, go out and find some recruits with useful skills/potential

With only two founding members left and pretty questionable loyalty of the others lets go with luxuries. Also hire some new guards from the local population and start training them. Getting our guards from the town is probably ether a good thing or a terrible thing, lets find out! I assume once they are trained the king will still be paying their wages? Can we save the extra "charge" of money to use for hut expansions next year?

Question is guys, the training seems to be moving very slowly (well, on the other hand Hagel didn't cast a single illusion to my knowledge. And he got more training then Bloom. So idk.) and we sorta wanta get some actual useful stuff rolling in. If heatstones and shit can give us some extra cash, I'm sure something that's actually vaguely military will be the monetary breakthough we need to get this guild really rolling. To that end, should we bump it up to moderate training?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:19:55 pm by Criptfeind »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »

(Do people with vitamancy help reduce the impact of bad rolls?)
On a close failure, yes.
Also, you had him trying to learn flesh, which had a lower success chance. Since you were out-voted, I had him decide to pick the one Father Bloom would be better able to help him with.

I assume once they are trained the king will still be paying their wages? Can we save the extra "charge" of money to use for hut expansions next year?
Too much of a loyalty gap. Either he trains and pays them, or you do.
Alright, I'll allow saving it the extra money point, but I'd really rather not track them further than "one turn in the future." Down that path lies the madness of figuring out exactly what everything costs and tracking everything.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »

Looks like people just die in this game... Constantly.  We need bodies to throw at stuff, without really caring if it doesn't work.  I vote we find people!  Like, send all of our guild on a year-long hunt for talent, so we at least have some people.  It's not like lvl. 1's can do much right now anyways.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 08:15:10 pm »

On a close failure, yes.
Also, you had him trying to learn flesh, which had a lower success chance. Since you were out-voted, I had him decide to pick the one Father Bloom would be better able to help him with.

The mystery deepens.

Also hah hah yes being outvoted was always my plan gg guys gg once again Cript leads us to glory and not being totally destroyed like whoever had the leader go out to the swamp hah hah hah and having infusion.

Hum. Alright, fair enough on the money stuff... Er. Will two guards cost a lot?

Looks like people just die in this game... Constantly.  We need bodies to throw at stuff, without really caring if it doesn't work.  I vote we find people!  Like, send all of our guild on a year-long hunt for talent, so we at least have some people.  It's not like lvl. 1's can do much right now anyways.

the level ones need to train to become level 2s! We need to move upwards, not just outwards, not to mention we're on a time limit here!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2016, 08:47:42 pm »

Hum. Alright, fair enough on the money stuff... Er. Will two guards cost a lot?
Two guards recruited as random nobodies from this village and trained up from nothing? Probably not. I'll even go ahead and say that the family who likes you can spare two young men, so long as they're paid.

You'd better hope they don't die to fungus in two turns. That would be unfortunate.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2016, 08:48:36 pm »

I mean if the only thing they aren't allowed to die to is fungus ez pz I give it about a 20% chance that we can make that target, assuming that sentient fungus humanoids don't count.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2016, 09:05:28 am »

All voters are trying to do completely different things: Turn cannot be processed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2016, 10:56:43 am »

Who knew formalizing the practice of magic so unstable and deadly it's been illegal for centuries would be so dangerous?

I'll +1 this to get things moving. More bodies = more actions, and we could stand to spread out a bit.

In the long term, we'll probably do a lot better once we start getting a persistent knowledge base going. Right now every spontaneous mushroom death is a crippling loss and new recruits have no idea what they're doing. Once we get recorded knowledge built up, replacing losses will be much easier from both ends.

I sincerely doubt magic will ever be safe, but getting some more Vitamancy lying around will probably help somewhat with both our mortality rate and usefulness to others.

Question is guys, the training seems to be moving very slowly (well, on the other hand Hagel didn't cast a single illusion to my knowledge. And he got more training then Bloom. So idk.) and we sorta wanta get some actual useful stuff rolling in. If heatstones and shit can give us some extra cash, I'm sure something that's actually vaguely military will be the monetary breakthough we need to get this guild really rolling. To that end, should we bump it up to moderate training?
Moderate training boosts mortality rates, right? I'm not sure we can afford that at the moment. I'm not sure we can afford not to at the moment either, but still.

the level ones need to train to become level 2s! We need to move upwards, not just outwards, not to mention we're on a time limit here!
We're down to three people and advancement takes a while, doesn't it? If we want to gamble really heavily on trying to get the king something in five turns and have a good plan to do that, we could try if you think the risk:reward ratio is good. Personally I'd rather take the slow, sheepish approach by assuring him year after year that we're really very close to something nice in a wide range of fields. It ain't glamorous or profitable, but it cuts down on the corpse treadmill.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13