Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Viability of water as a trade good  (Read 11353 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Viability of water as a trade good
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 11:56:45 am »

What about magma?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »

I don't think nobody has tested it so far.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »

I'm currently working on magma systems in a different fort. So far I've lost one of my only miners, because I don't know how the fuck to breach a volcano, and the spice magma must flow.

In response to what skorpion said, I have been using a cistern for this, I just can't figure out how to damage the animals enough to lace the pools with enough contaminants for them to flow properly. Actually, now that I think about it, I probably could have just used upright spikes or something. Nevermind, !!testing!! resumes.

EDIT: Well, never fucking mind, then. My first migrant wave consisted of literally nothing but children, and I only have 3 adult dwarves left. I'm starting over again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:28:09 pm by Prop42 »
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »

Chiming in with a bit of insight as an adventurer mostly these days.

You can fill a minecart up with 833 units of booze, blood, magma, water, horrid goo, and so forth. You can only submerge it in water and magma though, but you can indeed get crazy mixes of other stuff.

Before Toady accidentally/deliberately removed the ability to interact with a minecart and fill it from nearby lava I got the idea to reach in a grab it once (being fireproof myself, of course) and promptly ran around braining people with a handful of 833 magma... somehow.

It eventually became 833 hydra/goblin blood laced magma, and finally 833 hydra/goblin blood laced obsidian (again, no clue how this works) so... that's a thing for the adventurous to try.

You can also get stuff like "snow dwarven rum sunshine" if you dump out a couple waterskins on a cold day, but you gotta remember that the important liquid is the last one listed.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 05:57:41 pm »

(words)
...and promptly ran around braining people with a handful of 833 magma... somehow.

It eventually became 833 hydra/goblin blood laced magma, and finally 833 hydra/goblin blood laced obsidian (again, no clue how this works) so... that's a thing for the adventurous to try.

You can also get stuff like "snow dwarven rum sunshine" if you dump out a couple waterskins on a cold day, but you gotta remember that the important liquid is the last one listed.

That's fucking metal as FUCK, dude.

But anyway, lacing might actually work, then. I'll try to do something with that after I finish up my magma system. Does anyone know whether or not you can place weapon traps over grates? I doubt you can, somehow. If not, I guess I can set up a system of minecarts throwing spikes through a fortification.

EDIT: Can you fill minecarts with mist or steam? I want to test that, because that sounds amazing, now that I think about it. We could build the equivalent of batteries out of minecarts and boiling water.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:08:41 pm by Prop42 »
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 07:13:04 pm »

Nah, can't gather mist and when water boils it just erupts out of the cart... as does booze.

Remember: just because you are magma safe, that doesn't mean you can go volcano diving with a waterskin full of booze.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 07:32:36 pm »

Shit. Oh well, magma will have to do, for now.

Speaking of which, I almost have the system done. I just need to wait for several tiles full of 7/7 magma to evaporate because I forgot to channel to a lower level before opening the magma flow up. One of my miners decided to exemplify this fact by, instead of simply walking around the stream of molten rock, running through it and burning to death. I'm going to attempt to drop an obsidian wall on the flow to try and block it.

UPDATE: Well, that didn't work. 1/7 magma is scattered everywhere, and there's a gaping hole in my ceiling now. How long does it take for magma to evaporate?

UPDATE 2: Nevermind. It's fixed now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:02:47 pm by Prop42 »

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »

there you go, enjoy, i'm going to bed.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 11:52:26 pm »

What about magma?
Magma is too much, thoughts?
theforumgame

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 12:21:28 am »

It is rather heavy and has no known benefit yet.

However, the larger problem of filling minecarts with magma is that you need magma-safe metal to do so, and unless you used nickel it means you could have made weapon trap components instead. In case of iron it would be 1260*quality VS 833+500*quality - i.e. only at no-quality level can the minecart win.

Additionally, this time they use different skills, and weaponcrafting is typically preferred over metalcrafting.
I don't know how the fuck to breach a volcano

At lava surface, can just use a screw pump with walls to ensure pumper doesn't autoimmolate.

Below it, build your magma access tunnel, then channel a ramp to below and dug out an accessible tunnel from that ramp. Slap a bridge over the hole, ensure miner can't access magma access tunnel, then designate the 3 volcano walls you want for digging.
M▒╬__z50 (╬ is bridge)
M▒▲__z49
(Note: Bridges can melt. Not too fast though, unless you make them out of wood or realgar or something similar.)

For filling carts with magma, if you want to pump over them, have the drainage be on same tile as the cart. Now, you may not be able to have a grate/hatch and stockpile on same tile, but you can, for instance, place them on stockpile/stairs and a raised bridge linked to lever on beneath:
<  < z50
X>X z49 here be carts, iron minecart stockpile and magma. Or, alternatively water through.
╬╬╬  z48

Dfhack's stockpile Ctrl+(I)nventory menu greatly simplifies trading them all.

(of course, if you're just testing whether you can get magma from traders in this/another fort, push into impulse ramp, valid ramp beneath in magma, fake ramp beneath in magma and up again would fill a single cart with less fuss)

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 05:35:26 am »

It is rather heavy and has no known benefit yet.

(the rest of this was actually a really helpful guide, thanks)

Didn't another thread spend something around 20 pages building a system to launch magma-laced minecarts through fortifications to make magma shotguns?

And, honestly, selling magma is fucking awesome as shit pretty much the most dwarven thing I can think of. My imagination is very limited.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:58 am »

Yeah, I meant in the context of trading only. Top-of-the-line magma shotguns are deadly overkill against everything combined.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 05:41:55 am »

Yeah, I meant in the context of trading only. Top-of-the-line magma shotguns are deadly overkill against everything combined.
Except possibly dragons.

Anyhow, since a lot of people are still waiting on that lacing system, I'll do that next, if I can get it working this time. I've got a population cap of around 30, and it's in a small map, so this should be far easier on my xXCPUXx.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:43:34 am by Prop42 »

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 05:29:25 pm »

[i don't know how to delete posts please send help]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:57:06 pm by Prop42 »

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 05:56:09 pm »

Yeah, this lacing thing isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure contaminants can even lace fluids anymore, since I've thrown about 20 kittens worth of cat blood into the reservoir with little to no results. I think I've reached the limit as to how far I can go with this.

Once another dwarven caravan comes and I sell the magma to it, I'll retire the fort and see if I can request more in a different fort in the same world.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:01:04 pm by Prop42 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4