Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43

Author Topic: PUZZLE TEMPLE PANIC! - Game Over- Assassins Partial Victory  (Read 57636 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

In? It looks interesting, and I have done mafia games before (regular, not forum based) so I think I can do this.
Cool. This isn't a normal mafia game anyway. It should be a little more solvey and less accusationary than normal.

If anyone has any questions about the rules, do ask! There's a lot to take in but hopefully shouldn't be too confusing. It's important people are on the same page with what's going on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

If anyone has any questions about the rules, do ask! There's a lot to take in but hopefully shouldn't be too confusing. It's important people are on the same page with what's going on.
This would imply that I actually gave the rules a thorough reading rather than saying "this is a wall of text and I have GM duties, I'll deal with this later." :P

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

This would imply that I actually gave the rules a thorough reading rather than saying "this is a wall of text and I have GM duties, I'll deal with this later." :P
Well, you've got just under a week to give it a read. Boils down to:

- Everyone at night has four actions
- Mafia-style role powers are attached to items
- A lot of your actions will involve moving between locations, searching objects and picking up items
- The assassins will be killing people and may manipulate the crime scene to implicate other players

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile

So instead of lynching, it's vigilante killing (via an item)?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

That's right! At least one town player has a means of killing with an item in their starting inventory (everyone starts with two unique items). Players will have the opportunity to pick up or construct more weapons as the game progresses, and items can be looted from dead bodies.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile

That's right! At least one town player has a means of killing with an item in their starting inventory (everyone starts with two unique items). Players will have the opportunity to pick up or construct more weapons as the game progresses, and items can be looted from dead bodies.
that is actually very interesting, so I'm guessing the two unique items are your role, and you can gather more powers, will there be a scum chat and will all the assassins be able to kill with their starting items?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Instead of a scum chat, every player has the ability to leave messages to each other as an action. Scum can use this to coordinate, but they can also use it to make  explorers look like scum as the messages persist as items in the game and there is no alignment flip on death.

Assassins have at least one method of killing from the beginning, this does not mean every assassin necessarily has the power to kill. You'll have to find out!

The unique items can be given away and new items can be picked up. There is no inventory limit.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Suppose that I've been chosen to get lynch/vigged. What's preventing me from simply moving to another room to dodge the kill?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile

Suppose that I've been chosen to get lynch/vigged. What's preventing me from simply moving to another room to dodge the kill?
action speed, if the person who kills you has a higher action speed then they kill you otherwise you escape
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:59:52 am by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Yes, Fillipk is right. So there might be a certain amount of second guessing other people's actions to kill or avoid killing. Players can build up and spend Urgency to act quicker, so it'll take a very smart player to avoid death indefinitely once the others have marked them for it.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

That sounds super arbitrary since speed is assigned. I feel like its going to be very hard to do any meaningful targets at all with all the moving around. The urgency system looks overly complicated. I think it would be much better to just make all actions happen simultaneously for each of the 4 actions and make moving the last to resolve.

So for example
player 1   player 2
knife p2   move room 2

The 2nd player would die before moving.

But in this case
player1  player2
search   move room 2
knife p2 search

The move would go before the knife and he would survive.

This would make it benefit the actor instead of the target and make the game much less frustrating. Especially if you were the slowest guy and your target always runs away. I think it would be easier to mod too.

I guess this has problems with the hurt system, but maybe you can just have hurt be placed at the end of queue. So in the first example, if P1 was hurt,
P2's move would happen before P1's knife action.

Anyways these are just some concerns I didn't put too much thought into this so there might be obvious flaws that I'm not noticing.

I also don't really like the idea of the 'pitch black' room. It seems like you just can't do any actions except passives which isn't fun at all.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Actually actually,

I think just making actions always going before moving fixes the problems I'm envisioning. The speed system makes sense for 2 players trying to take the same item and so on. It still sucks to be the slowest guy though, but it might not be a problem if there are enough possible actions so that collisions aren't too frequent.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Triple post.

Ok I just thought of another problem. Suppose that I'm getting lynched. I'm in room 1 and the vig is in room 2.

If he wants to kill me, he has to move first and then kill me, but I can chose to move at the same time, which might make his action invalid. So he has to guess if I'm going to move first or not which makes completion of such an action random.

This will make targetting any player not in the same room very difficult.

Or suppose the map looks like this

r1 - r2 - r3 - r4 - r5 - r6.

Then if I'm in r2 and the vig is in r1, I can just choose to keep to keep moving right and I'll always survive that night, which if I am scum is very bad for town.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

4xPost

Actually this probably isn't a big deal if you forced everyone into the same room at the start of the puzzle phase. Then naturally all pvp actions will happen first, then moves and explores which probably is ok.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

That sounds super arbitrary since speed is assigned. I feel like its going to be very hard to do any meaningful targets at all with all the moving around. The urgency system looks overly complicated. I think it would be much better to just make all actions happen simultaneously for each of the 4 actions and make moving the last to resolve.
Most of the players core actions will involve co-ordinated puzzle solving, or individual exploration, rather than running around murdering each other (at least to begin with) and each person having a different speed is necessary to resolve conflicts when you both perform the same action. Like, when Player1 and Player2 both search a chest at the same time. If a player is spending all their time running between rooms to avoid being killed, they're not puzzle solving.

I also don't really like the idea of the 'pitch black' room. It seems like you just can't do any actions except passives which isn't fun at all.
There'll be light source items.

Actually actually,

I think just making actions always going before moving fixes the problems I'm envisioning. The speed system makes sense for 2 players trying to take the same item and so on. It still sucks to be the slowest guy though, but it might not be a problem if there are enough possible actions so that collisions aren't too frequent.
Well, and even if someone is the slowest in searching, they're not going to be the slowest in using items. This is worth considering, though the puzzle design has been made to allow moving to a room and then doing something there. I'll muse on it!

Then if I'm in r2 and the vig is in r1, I can just choose to keep to keep moving right and I'll always survive that night, which if I am scum is very bad for town.
This is a reasonable worry, but the map is designed in such a way as to make this situation unlikely.

And remember, the Explorers goal isn't to kill scum: it's to get to the tomb, get treasure and get out. If an Assassin is spending all their actions running away, then they're not stopping the explorers from furthering their goals.

4xPost

Actually this probably isn't a big deal if you forced everyone into the same room at the start of the puzzle phase. Then naturally all pvp actions will happen first, then moves and explores which probably is ok.
Ah, but then that would make exploring and acting in the furthest rooms impossible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43