Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Monster Masters WWII RPG OOC: Game Start!  (Read 2451 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Masters WWII RPG: Interest Check
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:31:19 am »

read the rules. Looking interesting, although of course there's not a lot of meaning until we can see the stat values and some example moves for comparison to the formulas.

A, concern/worry/thought, how is the game going to handle humanoid monsters. It seems like at the start of the game they are going to effectively have half the characters of human player, and then eventually as more monsters are tamed they'll have 1/4 to 1/5 the characters of a human player. That seems like it'd be hard to balance (especially if a human player can use all four monsters at once? Or can they?)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:55 am »

Eh fuck it, chances are this will just end up clogging my new replies, but I'm interested

Suggestions:
Some mundane monsters. As in no overly special powers.
Mind/thought-based monster

Mundane monsters exist as world building, though I am not sure if you will see much of the "monster that produces large amounts of tasty milk".

I thought about making a type like that, but decided on duel rock-paper-scissors circles with a handgun instead. There is nothing stopping a mind/thought based monster from existing with a currently existing type.

read the rules. Looking interesting, although of course there's not a lot of meaning until we can see the stat values and some example moves for comparison to the formulas.

A, concern/worry/thought, how is the game going to handle humanoid monsters. It seems like at the start of the game they are going to effectively have half the characters of human player, and then eventually as more monsters are tamed they'll have 1/4 to 1/5 the characters of a human player. That seems like it'd be hard to balance (especially if a human player can use all four monsters at once? Or can they?)

The current values are point buy. Humans get 50 points to spend (and have no ability stat), monsters get 100, and human like get 150.

Humans can control all four monsters at once under the current rules. The human-like are designed to go after the enemy monster master directly, taking off the head of the snake so to speak. They are generally meant to be strong enough to fight off a human and an intercepting monster, but to lose if they attempt to take on the enemy monsters all at once.

*Edit*
HP is 10* point value, forgot to say that :P. I'll also be using the war games portion of bootcamp to test out the mechanics, making adjustments as needed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:06:18 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 12:40:05 pm »

interest expressed
Black lives matter.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 07:12:42 pm »

Alright, the Character Sheets should be in workable condition now! Go ahead and make your character. Maybe I shoulda edited the sheets more, but I think I already spent too much time on it :P. The Game will start probably tomorrow, sheets will be accepted always.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Masters WWII RPG OOC: Character Sheets Up!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »

What's the base hit chance? And the random part of damage.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:09 pm »

What's the base hit chance? And the random part of damage.

Base hit chance is 100%, assuming that Attacking Perception=>Defending Evade.
Example: 10 Per attacks 10 Evade
Chance= 10-10=0. So the difficulty is zero, and any rolled number would lead for a hit.

If the Evade is higher, it is instead set at whatever the difficulty is.
Example: 10 Per attacks 15 Evade
15-10=5 =95% chance (Only misses on a roll of 96+)

Naturally, this means that Evade has to be significantly higher than the enemy Perception to be really useful. It doesn't really *sound* that powerful, but with a 100 points its possible to min-max it to something seriously impressive, let alone with 150.

The Random part of damage ranges between .8 and 1, based on a random D21 (RNG :P) roll.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »

What should be the average size of a bonded monster ?

I was beginning to choose this fellow  for a friend, but realized he was on a Godzilla size :/

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 07:42:46 pm »

What should be the average size of a bonded monster ?

I was beginning to choose this fellow  for a friend, but realized he was on a Godzilla size :/

Small house and down, preferably. Young/baby creatures that eventually grow larger than that are acceptable.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 08:00:04 pm »

Character Sheet!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:37:51 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »

Thanks, fixed.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 08:11:02 pm »

Also:

Ability: Solidify - transfers all power into becoming as physically hard as possible: -all ATK, -all EVADE, -all PERCEPTION. Can then transfer back to original form.

Ability is supposed to be a stat  :-\. Solidify as written would have to be a Special Move, replacing the one you have already chosen. Is that acceptable?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »

Fine by me

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 08:39:28 pm »

Stupid question: is there a move limit for Monsters ?

Spoiler: Ahitama (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Auahi the Magmanephrop (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:31:43 pm by Nakéen »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 08:48:31 pm »

Stupid question: is there a move limit for Monsters ?

Practical answer: Yes. You start with One if you have a normal monster, or Two if you are a Human-like. My fault, I knew I should have bolded them :0.

Unpractical answer: There is not upper limit on moves, however you can only get them at Level Ups, and it may or may not cost points that could go to stats. Practically, there will probably not be a lot of available moves for single creatures, and many will be better versions of moves the creatures already have.

Pages: 1 [2] 3