Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Monster Masters WWII RPG OOC: Game Start!  (Read 2463 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Monster Masters WWII RPG OOC: Game Start!
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:22:54 pm »

Twenty years ago, the world was thrown into the "Great War". The hands of man joined the claws of monsters in tearing trenches into the countryside. Mounted riflemen charged forward as artillery shells fell to earth like raindrops, as fiery breath cleared trenches with the aid of hand grenades, as the sky was blotted out by machines and beasts. The Allies finally achieved victory after the Hundred Days Offensive, part of a massive mobilization joined by the new technology of tanks aided by high-defense beasts. The world is at peace, for a time, though wise men know it will not last. For all the talk of "Peace in our time", it is clear war is just on the horizon.

This is the world we live in, a world of monsters ruled by men. There are no "mundane" animals as such, only a variety of monsters fulfilling every niche. The people of this world are able to control these powerful creatures through "Bonding", a poorly understood ritual that allows a human to control a monster completely. Every individual is born with a Brand, a tattoo like birthmark typically found on the palm of their dominant hand. When placed near a wild monster, this brand glows brightly. When the Brand makes intentional contact with the monster, there is a chance for a Bond to form. The chance increases if the monster is injured, tired, or weakened. Naturally, more powerful or free willed monsters are more difficult to Bond with. Once a Bond is formed, the Brand is placed on the monster, marking its ownership. The monster will listen to any command given by its master, no matter its difficulty or danger. It does have its limits, however. The average human can only control four monsters at a time. Though they may capture more, every one after the fourth will fall into hibernation. Active monsters can be switched out, often leading to experienced monster masters to place all but three in a safe location before hunting for new ones. Additionally, if the human who branded them dies, they immediately fall unconscious. What happens next varies depending on the luck of the monster: some die, some fall into hibernation for months or years before waking up, some return to the wild the next day.

Naming every individual monster would be a near impossible task. As such, monsters are classified into several categories depending on their abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

Monster Types:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are now part of the Allied military, having either joined willingly or having been drafted by your country. For the second time in history, the entire world will soon be at war. But you are not alone-each and every recruit is required to have a single creature they Bonded with from their homeland (For what that means OOC, you will stat/create your own starting monster with your character!). Of course, if you are a Human-like monster yourself, you are immune from this requirement. Your journey starts here, in boot camp, where you will meet your squad and prepare yourself for the upcoming storm. Are you ready?

Heya! Stirk again! All the games I was playing died, and I desperately need something to think about during work. I have been kicking around ideas like this for a while, and finally decided to work one up. I am still finalizing the mechanics, which include the character sheets. I want to see if there is any interest before doubling the size of the OP, after all :P. In case you missed it, this game is based off of things like Pokemon, Digimon, Shin Megami Tensei, and other 'mon series in a alternate universe World War Two setting. Why? Why not. I thought it would be fun, and if you agree, post to show your interest!

Rules:

Character Sheets:

Current Characters:
Spoiler: Ahitama (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Auahi the Magmanephrop (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Spoiler: Human (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Monster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anfisa, Harpy (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:01:25 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Masters WWII RPG: Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

I didn't read the rules, but only read the afterword.

Are you ready?
Of course we are ready.

edit: Now having properly read the whole post like a gentleman, definitely interested !
(Furthermore I'm starving for entertainment)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:26:37 pm »

I didn't read the rules, but only read the afterword.

Are you ready?
Of course we are ready.

I haven't posted the rules yet :P.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:21 pm »

I haven't posted the rules yet :P.
The concept is more than enough to keep me interested. I'm a sucker when it comes to monsters, creatures and the like.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:11:04 pm »

Dude. I'm so in for this. I read a book series that sounded suspiciously similar.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:15:02 pm »

Dude. I'm so in for this. I read a book series that sounded suspiciously similar.

I certainly took some hints from the Leviathan trilogy, which is probably what you are getting at :P.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:18:31 pm »

Indeed. I have actually been wanting to/waiting for someone to run a game like that.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 09:38:34 pm »

Well, pending rules on how the game will work, I'll put a "I'm interested" into the pile.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:11:07 pm »

I'm interested as well.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 10:19:32 pm »

I also see an homage to Pokémon.

Something tells me that there will, at some point, be a Pacific Rim style giant monster fight.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:47:10 pm »

I'm interested.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »

Alright, looks like there is plenty of interest to run a game. I'll see if I can get the rules/character sheet up tonight. If not, I'll have it up tomorrow after work.

I also see an homage to Pokémon.

Something tells me that there will, at some point, be a Pacific Rim style giant monster fight.

The Pokemon homage was pretty obvious :P. Never saw Pacific Rim though. Maybe something similar will happen in the Pacific Front :P

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 12:08:39 am »

Very Very Interested.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 12:45:24 am »

Alright, updated the basic bare-bones rules so you can all know what you are getting into :P. Character sheets will come in tomorrow, its late and I am tired and still trying to figure out how I want to handle moves and Ability roles. Feel free to comment!

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 07:04:57 am »

Eh fuck it, chances are this will just end up clogging my new replies, but I'm interested

Suggestions:
Some mundane monsters. As in no overly special powers.
Mind/thought-based monster
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: [1] 2 3