Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 89447 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:08 pm »

Yes the unusual variant where the cavern Z levels blend together. The crazier the better.
This has a 99Z height single cavern.  You can remove seeds and embark in a similar location to see other results.
Spoiler: stretched caverns (click to show/hide)

Oooh awesome yes this looks good. Thanks for this :)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2016, 07:47:45 am »

Hello, fellow DF players! I want to have a world with lots of Savage Tropical Forests in the west, and with good amount of minerals. World also must be surrounded by ocean from all directions and have minimal cavern & cavern passage openness of 50. I tried to make such world using PW utility, but when i try to generate world, the game says "lack of volcanoes", and if try to ignore such type of rejection, it will generate completely random mess of a world (evil, good & savage areas will be all over the place). It will be good if someone generate such world for me, or just give me tips about how to fix/avoid this. If you need some additional info about how i want my world to be, send me Private Message.

Spoiler: Error (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2016, 08:35:55 am »

Using perfect world, it basically just pastes a pre-set value matrix on top of existing world gen parameters, controlling most ~region tile level features like any pre-set value world. It is a powerful tool - even bit overblown for this purpose.

However, you picked existing world gen parameters that specified minimum volcano count, and then ensured there would be no squares with 100 volcanisms (required for volcanoes to form).

You'd have the same problem if you'd tell your tropical forest world to have 65k glaciers when there aren't any glaciers, for instance.

Evil and good can only be pigeonholed through biome sizes.

Now, I'm a bit cranky, so let me walk you through this...

What is a forest?

wiki forest: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Forest

Turns out forest is a biome. What's a biome?

wiki biome: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Biome

Hm. Okay, so how do I generate a given biome?

wiki...oh it's already on that page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Biome#Generating_a_Biome

Well, looks like 66+ rainfall and 33+ drainage is needed. To the advanced world gen!

Hm, look, rainfall and drainage. Lets up both minimums to 66 and 33.

What else? Well, dwarves need non-savage non-good non-evil mountains, and there must be oceans. The elevation already accomplishes the mountains, and as for the ocean...I guess it shouldn't be all that all-encompassing, so better increase min elevation to 90.

And of course, if the forests must be tropical, they need enough temperature for that - and for there to not be a pole. Set minimum temperature to 85 and maximum to 100, then scroll down for pole and partial/complete ocean numbers.

What can go wrong at this point? Well, no clusters of high savagery that I assume are desired. A mesh size is basically drop of a broad value onto the canvas, so might load up on calm and high savagery.

Here, I set the mesh size to 4x4 and give 50 for 0-20 and 80-100 savagery both, with other remaining 1s. Of course, since this is using a mesh size, normal savagery variance has tendency to override it, so better set savagery variances to zero.

Of course, the world still has no glaciers!

Better tell it to not keep generating looking out for one. In fact, if you're messing around with world gen values, removing "minimum" and "desired" for all things is a good idea. If you don't plan or desire for evil or good or mountain peaks, better not include them.

Then, cavern minimums to 50 too, and off we go!

Here, it has some plains, humans and rocky wastelands because of not messing with "oreographic preciptation" settings, thus reducing rainfall in those areas.

But hey, at least there's a an untamed tropical forest to the west, with 5 neighbours to boot!

Granted, with just 85 min temp there's still a lot of temperate forest :p

Have fun, and know what you're pasting!

PS: Oh yeah. You get shallow metals too if you upgrade the mineral scarcity from default 2500 to something lower, like 500.

PPS: If you want the high savagery to be entirely on the west side and low on the east side, you must use pre-set values, though. I assumed for now that this was just a desire for untamed forest :v
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:41:25 am by Fleeting Frames »

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2016, 05:19:16 am »

I'm looking for an embark site for a bit of a challenge, but I'm having trouble generating something suitable. If anyone has something that matches, I'd much appreciate it! :)

Must-have features: terrifying glacier with thrall/husk clouds, in range of goblins, humans, elves, and dwarves, with access to at least 1 type of metal ore (doesn't have to be any particular one). Ideally this would be in a small or medium region/island that is otherwise pretty 'normal'.

Bonus features: no evil rains/snows that will disfigure the beautiful icescape covered in zombies. In range of a tower. Dwarven civ that worships at least one animal god.

On a side note: does anyone know how to manipulate the raws to encourage dwarves to worship more animals? And can anyone explain why changing the number of cavern layers seems to sometimes change the above-ground features of a world?
Cheers! :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2016, 05:35:29 am »

Searching helps, though most evil/necromancer embarks are from previous topics....
Hey guys, I am looking for a 3x3 embark on a savage glacier with a nearby necromancer tower for my challenge run. Thanks!
Here's a worldgen that matches.  If you embark from the "The Flaxen Pulley" civilization you'll be at War with the 22,000+ goblins, as well.  The tower has 43 animated dwarves, and 117 animated goblins.
Untamed wilds everywhere except the center area, so savage should be easy to find.  You can embark adjacent to the Tower, if you want.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just set the desired evil square counts in large areas to something like 300 to change it from untamed to terrifying. I'd also suggest setting site cap to 0 so that you'll always be attacked from a dark fortress :v

And not sure about caverns, maybe because of caves?

*searches* Anyway, for challenge embark, vjek posted this for 40.24. v.43 doesn't have exact same gens as previous ones, but it's worth a look.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:49:42 am by Fleeting Frames »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2016, 01:50:42 pm »

Hey guys, been fantasizing about a certain embark for a while and figured this would be the place to come to. Anyway, I'd like to play a comfy game as a trade outpost set up on an intersection of some major roads. The further away the endpoints of those roads the better, and it would be fantastic if the intersection could fall on flat ground as well. Would be nice if there were a tower nearby but that's obviously asking a lot. Goblins somewhere around are a must, of course.

EDIT: Forgot to add, minerals etc would be totally unnecessary, and aquifers and such are a non-issue, as trade would be the main focus.

Thanks in advance! :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:55:01 pm by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2016, 01:04:48 pm »

Does anyone know what the relation between world generation elevation and generated world elevation is?

Background:
If you generate a world and then export the world parameters as a complete set of advanced world generation parameters + PSV values for the complete map, and then feed it back to world generation (optionally after tweaking the PSV parameters for select locations) you end up with constant rejection due to inability to place peaks. Looking at the elevation values in the world, none of them are high enough. I know world generation elevation classifies 300+ as mountain, but the limit in a generated world is just 150. Thus, how can I push them back up to their original values (or close enough) to generate a tweaked world?
Obviously, if any of the other parameters are mashed in a similar fashion, it would be interesting to know how to restore those as well.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »

One relation between the two is:
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250] (general default value)
that wears down mountains, etc.

This runs as a process after the generation values are called.

So quick suggestion try generating with this value set to zero.  That should help.  There may be (a lot?) more to it than this though...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:25:45 pm by feelotraveller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2016, 03:15:02 pm »

Yes, I realize you should really generate your world, copy the seeds, regenerate it with an age of 1, and THEN export the data to more or less get the same result (or, as you say, disable erosion). However, the effect is much more dramatic than that, unless all mountains are eliminated in 250 years by erosion (not a single peak could be placed in a medium size standard parameter world).
The fact that the world gen mountain height is so dramatically different from the active world one indicates there's something else at play.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2016, 03:39:58 pm »

Elevation averaging, probs? Remember how my last 42.06 embark provided had embark height at 162z, despite being painted as 299?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2016, 03:45:39 pm »

I agree it's probably some kind of averaging and/or re-scaling to a different range at play.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2016, 04:11:06 pm »

Yes, I realize you should really generate your world, copy the seeds, regenerate it with an age of 1, and THEN export the data to more or less get the same result (or, as you say, disable erosion). However, the effect is much more dramatic than that, unless all mountains are eliminated in 250 years by erosion (not a single peak could be placed in a medium size standard parameter world).
The fact that the world gen mountain height is so dramatically different from the active world one indicates there's something else at play.

I think you are misunderstanding.  Erosion takes place in prehistory, that is, before year 0.  The regeneration needs to have no erosion or things will be somewhat lower in general.  (The alternative would be to allow normal erosion and find the seed, rerun it without erosion and save those values, then do a third run where erosion is turned back on...)

Whatever else is in play you'll still get problems from this.  It's true that the larger scope of your problem probably lies with the something else (unless you have significantly increased the erosion value).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2016, 02:03:21 am »

Thanks feelotraveller, that's useful info.

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2016, 08:58:11 pm »

Hello my fellow Urists!

Thousands of worlds generated, hundreds of hours lost in worldgendreedit forum trying to get a embark for a nice and fun play. So I humbly request help from te world gen wizards for:

Flat Volcano (Semi-Flat will do)
River (Streams or Brooks)
Nice Forests and green meadows

Great deal of metals (More than I will ever need)
Soil
Clay
Sand

Candy

Neighboors (Just a couple will be fine)

Bonus points:
Goblins
Joyous Wilds

There are worlds like this in DFWORLDGEN REEDIT but they are all for older versions... and I never seem to get the same map. Thank you!

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »

So I am struggling to make my dream-embark.
My demands are a bit off the wall, so before I ask for a pre-gen, I'd like to know if certain things can even be selected for without generating and embarking on dozens of worlds.
  • I looked at vjek's tutorial on 'world painting' but I can't paint a nice site, without also stopping the entire rest of the world from being randomly generated. Is there a way to do that?
  • One can force sand into a square by making it a desert biome. Can you similarly force things like (fire)clay, aquifers, brooks and rivers? Can these also be forced out of squares (specifically large FPS-wrecking rivers)?
  • Do the parameters for Volcanism also influence the hight of magma pipes or only the geology of a square? How close can you get the pipe to the surface before there are effects on the terrain levels?
  • Do the elevation parameters have an effect on just the total hight of the terrain within a square, or can setting them to low variance also produce large flat areas in individual squares (for easy building on the surface)?
  • The world painter can't paint good/evil zones. What is the best way to cram joyous wilds and savage area's into 3x3 (or smaller) embarks?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27