Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 89431 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

It's generally good idea to search all worldgen threads (I know at least DF2014, .42.03+ and .34 threads) for "patchwork". First result for this thread, for instance

Otherwise, I'm atm slowly chiselling a 2x2 semi-fat 5-biome embark (atm lacking dwarven and elven visitors, region-pops booze coverage up to 86%*) in 42.06

Aha, 'patchwork'.  My keyword-fu has been lacking...  I'll try that.  Thanks.  :)

vjek's linked comments are about rejections because of good/evil and savagery overlaps/conflicts but I haven't messed with those at all.  Pretty well known that messing with these can lead to lots of rejections/impossible generations.  But... are you saying that there is there some hidden mechanic which causes temperature, rainfall and drainage variances to accentuate good/evil and savagery variations?  (It didn't seem to be so, at least for good/evil which is easy to see at a glance on the world map, in the generations I did manage to do; if anything they appeared to be bigger and more continuous blocks, although I suspect that there was actually no change.)

That said I can certainly try setting all the required counts to zero (since the increase in variance presumably effects a massive increase in the standard deviations in biome frequency even if it does not effect their mean over all possible worlds).

Wow. 5 biomes on a 2x2 embark - I hadn't even thought that it was possible!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2016, 08:35:38 pm »

No, I'm saying temperature, rainfall and drainage variations can lead to rejections of "not enough large grasslands" or whatever it throws up.

I suppose the variances can affect the size of biomes, thus affecting good and evil if you have overabundance of desired counts, though.

5 biomes in 2x2 - well it's using biome shearing. The finder only shows 3, but 2 more get in :P
Also, you may be interested in The Fortification of Nuts, though doing something like that is beyond me right now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:37:27 pm by Fleeting Frames »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2016, 09:31:50 pm »

Can anyone suggest some tips for creating worlds with many small biomes? ...
This should get you started..
I found quite a few embarks with 4 biomes in a 3x3, in several of those, and they generate, typically, without any rejections.
Just remove the seeds and regen to see more.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2016, 09:52:57 am »

Thanks.  That got me started... 

Think I'm now pretty happy with my world gen settings;  haven't found my embark yet.  Had to reel in my expectations a bit though.  Three biomes with a river is not that hard, finding a fourth with the river is a bit of a stretch (...yes they do exist), Probably end up going with 3 useful (to me) biomes and the river unless I get lucky.  Still, plus 50% in the biome count is nothing to sneeze at.

Fun fact from the journey - worlds without poles will never generate tropical biomes.  Sort of makes sense - but it is easy enough to get scorching temperate biomes.   :P

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2016, 12:05:27 pm »

They will (excluding tropical dry broadleafs), but you need base 85 temperature and less than 80 rainfall in that area. vjek's params have max 75, so you won't see it there.

Also, I posted that 5-biome thing in 42.06 thread, if you care.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2016, 12:41:08 am »

Really?  I tried several variations on temperature and several worldgens each with 0-100, 25-100 and 50-100, without a pole and absolutely no tropical biomes were created. (Edit: lots of scorching temperate biomes though.)  As soon as I had a pole temperature ranges 0-75 and 25-75 both produced complete tropical zones. Can't think of anything else that might have changed it...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:11 am »

Really. But when I say 85 temp, I mean 85 temp. And like you guessed, pole is different case (you can have freezing tropicals with pole). Ex using pocket region:

1. Min and max temp to 85, variances off, pole off:

2. Generate:

Note that with just 85 min, can still get temperate zones on higher elevations and rainfalls. I've been down this road before with world painter :v
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:06:22 am by Fleeting Frames »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2016, 01:19:05 am »

Ah it has been so long since I've last played Dwarf Fortress. In fact it has me a bit nostalgic for a very old embark (pre-0.40 pretty sure).
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bloodline:Dathaecamo
Unfortunately the original thread seems to have disappeared somehow but the details as I recall are as follows.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:59 am »

Sorry if it's been posted before and I missed it, but does anyone have a seed and location for the current version that's good for a cavern fort? The Moria kind where lots of needlessly elaborate bridges and staircases need to be built over chasms etc. Not just shallow pools. I want to build a fort into natural terrain that isn't on the surface for once.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »

Sorry if it's been posted before and I missed it, but does anyone have a seed and location for the current version that's good for a cavern fort? The Moria kind where lots of needlessly elaborate bridges and staircases need to be built over chasms etc. Not just shallow pools. I want to build a fort into natural terrain that isn't on the surface for once.
A typical cavern is 6 Z-levels.  You can have 1, 2 or 3 caverns.  Do you mean 3 Caverns each 6 Z-levels high?  Or something more rare/unusual?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2016, 04:01:10 pm »

Lots, and lots, of Magnetite. Like literally pouring out my ears.
Pretty sure there were a bunch of trees despite what the screenshots say.
A surface lava pool!
And I think most if not all civs were present.
Water of some kind I guess, honestly don't recall that one.

Anyway my request primarily follows along the lines of what's listed above plus...
3x3 or 4x4 probably.
Flux is a bonus though not required, though if present marble would be preferred.
Some kind of water source would be nice though if its an aquifer I'd prefer it to be tiny so that I don't have to worry about it to much.
I suppose lots and lots of trees could be a substitute for not easily accessible lava.
Small hill or mountain to build into/build towers out of would be awesome.
This embark has:
Hematite (magnetite is going to be rare next to a volcano, different layer types)
Marble
Clay
Sand
Gold
Hemp (for all your clothing, food, and bookmaking needs..)
A tiny aquifer (SW corner)
Mountain/hill to the south
3x3 size
Surface water as a brook
Lots of trees
Surface volcano (top of volcano is at embark level)

Now what it doesn't have are non-dwarven civs, yet.  You can add those by increasing the number of civs and adding demons to get goblins, but I figured the geography was more important.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »

A typical cavern is 6 Z-levels.  You can have 1, 2 or 3 caverns.  Do you mean 3 Caverns each 6 Z-levels high?  Or something more rare/unusual?
Yes the unusual variant where the cavern Z levels blend together. The crazier the better.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »

Yes the unusual variant where the cavern Z levels blend together. The crazier the better.
Hm, well, I haven't seen them blend together before, personally, but there are some techniques to make one of them extremely tall, so I'll see if I can reproduce that in 43.0x.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »

Lots, and lots, of Magnetite. Like literally pouring out my ears.
Pretty sure there were a bunch of trees despite what the screenshots say.
A surface lava pool!
And I think most if not all civs were present.
Water of some kind I guess, honestly don't recall that one.

Anyway my request primarily follows along the lines of what's listed above plus...
3x3 or 4x4 probably.
Flux is a bonus though not required, though if present marble would be preferred.
Some kind of water source would be nice though if its an aquifer I'd prefer it to be tiny so that I don't have to worry about it to much.
I suppose lots and lots of trees could be a substitute for not easily accessible lava.
Small hill or mountain to build into/build towers out of would be awesome.
This embark has:
Hematite (magnetite is going to be rare next to a volcano, different layer types)
Marble
Clay
Sand
Gold
Hemp (for all your clothing, food, and bookmaking needs..)
A tiny aquifer (SW corner)
Mountain/hill to the south
3x3 size
Surface water as a brook
Lots of trees
Surface volcano (top of volcano is at embark level)

Now what it doesn't have are non-dwarven civs, yet.  You can add those by increasing the number of civs and adding demons to get goblins, but I figured the geography was more important.

Awesome! I'll check it out when I get home. Perhaps I'll mod magnetite to appear in place of hematite or hematite to be like magnetite. Thank you.

Also how are you getting the ore counts?

edit: Derp, forgot about DFHack
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:22:14 am by userpay »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2016, 12:42:11 am »

This has a 99Z height single cavern.  You can remove seeds and embark in a similar location to see other results.
Spoiler: stretched caverns (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27