Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 89460 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2016, 11:54:13 am »

Well, this allows for 100 dwarven civs to be generated in a pocket world, so it's definitely possible.
Spoiler: civ_count_test (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2016, 12:08:18 pm »

Sure works - all those mountains have an adjacant mountain, tho.

The issue is failing to place a civ with single calm mountain. Sometimes, goes off pretty much always. Other times, fails completely.

Spoiler: "Why does this fail?" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:09:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2016, 12:29:58 pm »

That one in particular is due to caves. (not caverns)

Specifically, if you reduce non-mountain and mountain caves to None, it generates 100% of the time.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2016, 02:23:44 pm »

*facepalm* I usually see them flash by, at least. Sorry. Thank you, though.

Long, but it's just unsavage sea tacked at end. And just tested that I didn't make a parameter change then forgot about it - erased bottom 112 elevations and savagery, changed it back to 17x17, and got it to place dwarf giv with but a single rejection. Also checked in worksheet that there's exactly 129 lines of savagery and elevation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:26:42 pm by Fleeting Frames »

phyxion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2016, 11:36:24 am »

Hey, wondering if anyone has found a .43 equivalent to this worldgen seed: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140180.msg5689920#msg5689920. Used it a ton with .40 but I'm getting different results now with the current LNP. No mods except graphics pack.

Thanks ;)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2016, 04:42:33 pm »

(chuckle, put this in the wrong thread first time, sorry!)

I have a request - once upon a time, I found a junction of two minor rivers/streams and a larger river.  Both tiny rivers were in sheer gorges, with waterfalls at different heights, and joined into one before meeting the larger river without a waterfall.  The opposite site of the larger river was flat, and close to level with the bigger river.  I've attempted to diagram:

Code: [Select]
...r...
...r...
...W...
s..r...
sswr...
...r...
RRRRRRR
RRRRRRR
RRRRRRR
ooooooo
ooooooo

The key was that the sides (the periods) of the little (r)iver and the (s)ide river were sheer, and more than a few Z high.

Sadly, that was lost long ago.  Anybody have something similar?  I have dreams of recreating that trade bridge across the big river, onto a path carved next to the small river at the bottom of a tall canyon to the Front doors at the base of a natural (W)aterfall, a network of obsidian bridges overhead ...

Vardia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2016, 02:28:49 am »

Anyone have any tips on genning a tropical area in a small world that's a woodland rather than heavily forested? Love all the animals you can see but all the trees just drive me nuts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2016, 03:44:51 am »

Anyone have any tips on genning a tropical area in a small world that's a woodland rather than heavily forested? Love all the animals you can see but all the trees just drive me nuts.
This link provides a picture that describes what kind of biome you get given various drainage and rainfall levels: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/images/2/2e/DF_Biome_Distribution.png.
I suspect you're after either shrublands, savannas, or grasslands. Using the world painter you can paint the desired parameters.
I assume it would also be possible to manipulate the advanced world gen rainfall parameters to favor the desired 10-65 range.

Unfortunately, there is little to do about the trees as the current tree growth logic ends up with the same terminal tree density regardless of the starting one (provided you have trees at all, and saplings are generated). The trees will have to be combated with:
- Constant logging
- Frequent dirt road construction (to kill off saplings)
- Covering the whole surface with constructed roads, floors, walls, or bridges
- Covering the whole embark with a floor one level above the ground (blocks sapling maturation into trees. Note that bridges won't do, as trees mature right through bridges)
- Covering the whole embark with unsightly no item stockpiles (keeps saplings from maturing, but seem to still drain FPS to some extent).
- Strip mining away the soil (which is supposed to be hell for the FPS due to a screwed up path finding).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »

Here's an embark tip: place embark tiles right next to, but not covering the tropical biome. This way you will likely get shear of it, ensuring animal access, while allowing to keep something lacking in trees such as no vegetation desert or glacier (Fairly few farmable tropical plants require the farm to be placed in tropical biome, however).

Also, if doing it without poles, set min and max temperature to 85 for tropics just about everywhere (in addition to the rainfall, which strongly controls the amount of vegetation you get in valid temperature range).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2016, 08:34:19 pm »

Going on here after discussions during the setup of my succession fortress, Firecastle. So, one thing that came up was FPS, world sizing, and complexity. Using the "create world now" options we have some nice options for a quick generation, but what if we want more? I've had issues with complex worlds, otherwise unmodded, filling up memory and having huge file sizes. In addition, terrible FPS on embark.

I decided to experiment using a large region, because there's a couple of problems I have using large regions in more recent versions - generation time, crashes, file size (makes it hard to send around), and the difficulty of getting an embark with all civilisations. Some of these had already knocked me down to playing medium sized maps, but after the reduction in civilisation range, I started to use small maps. Now, I've taken the time to create a new world and try to get around some of the issues, mostly on the civilisation end as it seems the crashes have been fixed by the move to 64 bit and other changes.

Using the Large Region template, I decided to crank up the volcano count to 200, set the variances to max, turned up titans, werebeasts, demon types, and night trolls to the max, the maximum number of subregions to 5000, the site max and population max to 100,000, and Civilisation count to 300 (about 175, give or take, were generated). I get 500 rejections due to difficulty placing grasslands, and hit "p" (protip: if you want your quick world generation, best way to do so is create a way to reject everything due to placement issues, really useful for large worlds). The resultant folder size is actually 156MB (267MB on disk), which is bigger than anything I've seen for a long time without heavy modding. However, there were no crashes in generation. The history is 125 years, and really slows down after year 80.

The longest part of the generation is probably placing the minerals, which is interesting. I remember this used to be one of the choke points for generating large worlds, but it seems it has gotten worse. On embarking as a dwarf fortress, I'm getting 6 seconds per day for moving the world along during the 15 day advancement period.

Units take up 58MB or so, and the world.dat file takes up about 98MB.

The good news is the world isn't having any problems with civ access and is a lot more varied. The specs are in the spoiler.

I used the following seeds:
Code: [Select]
[SEED:CUUaqqqgoKsYss2c4Kyw]
[HISTORY_SEED:2cGwCKGwYUAioQqEeOW8]
[NAME_SEED:4u6IUS6UYIyGaYCWqOYE]
[CREATURE_SEED:E2u6kiIkkeUm4oYa8CQ4]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now to investigate how to create a world with the continental forms from "create world now" but with the new features.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:36:40 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2016, 01:02:33 am »

Does anyone have a set of parameters for a small-sized world, preferably full of deserts, wastelands and evil biomes, with a lot of necromancer towers?

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2016, 03:28:16 pm »

I litrealy posted this on another cookbook tread but i forgot that is not my version....so....derp.....
-Has a soil layer
-Any type of stone
-No caves
-Still has hell
-Sand(any size)
-Rock crystal if possible
-Some precious metal so i can make coffins
-Nice 'n' flat terrain  (could have a small hill where my dwarves can live)
-Any embark squares(preferably 4x4 or 3x3)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »

Note that "no caves" requires a modded generation to make dwarves able to farm aboveground in worldgen.

E: Misread "no caves" as "no caverns", nvm. No caves means just no kobolds.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:41:41 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2016, 02:17:39 pm »

I have a worldgen request, if I may, please! :)

This seems pretty simple compared to what many have asked for and received, but I guess I just don't have the touch. I'd like an area with abundant unicorns for my dwarves to tame, as they are a just people and require mighty symbols of goodness!

Any other beneficial traits of the area are icing on the cake, and I certainly won't complain!

Here's the twist: I'd like the site, if possible, to be next to a necromancer's tower or other evil domain. Set up a scenario of war between the good dwarves and their unicorns versus whatever malevolent critters scuttle out to cause trouble.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »

Posted one on last page, here's another in 42.06.

For unicorns, all you need is happy fun forest/shrubland really, and they're hopefully present. There's probably lot more of them. Just note that they're not tameable vanilla, though you can still breed a meat industry of them.

Not putting "algorighmic DF time" into new gens rn due reserving that time for my turn at Deathgame, but yeah, look around.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27