Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 89412 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #240 on: April 09, 2017, 06:14:12 am »

The setting you probably want to play with is [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:2:1:2:3:4:5].  See the wiki for a quick how to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_world_generation#Terrain_Mesh_Sizes_and_Weights.  This more or less divides your elevation into five 20% categories and then weights them proportionally.  Increase the lowest, and maybe a bit on the second lowest.  Test for flavour.  The other way to do it would be to play with the max/min elevation but this has other consequences.  :)  Elevations below 100 are underwater...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:16:15 am by feelotraveller »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2017, 06:09:18 pm »

Here's a worldgen with a map to an area with an old-school all flat volcano embark. I am doing a themed fort where everything is taverns, and happened upon this by sheer luck.

Embark contains multiple metals and flux, as well as sparse trees due to multi-biome embark.

Spoiler: THE WORLD GEN (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IN-WORLD LOCATION (click to show/hide)

I just sort of pasted it from the thread, and the thread is filled with silly, so sorry for the volcanic sunglasses dog.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Gaston_Juice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »

Hello,
I don't know how to use the codes provided but I can read it it and set it to my next world gen. I read somewhere that someone got a world with all dwarf civs fallen and was working on rebuilding the dwarf civ one fortress at a time. I thought it was a good idea for an objective and interesting to switch between adv and fort mode. Anyone know how to get an otherwise normal map with zero dwarves?
Thank you in advance.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2017, 05:56:29 pm »

There are actually several cases that matches Gaston_Juice's request:
- A world where there are no dwarves, because they have all died off (with the possible exception for some necros), but other civs are thriving. Despite the non existence of dorfs for hundreds of years (and no other members either), the dwarven civ(s) refuse to be considered dead. In this case you're playing a "struggling" civ, which means you get caravans, unlimited migrant waves, and a monarch from among your ranks within two years. This is reasonably easy to get.
- A world like the one above, but where the civ is actually dead even according to DF's odd standards. You'll get two migration waves, no dwarven caravan, and no externally appointed nobles (including a monarch). It's hard to get, and the only sure sign of getting one is a completely blank civ screen after embark (not even your dwarven civ: the previous case would show the civ and claim it doesn't have any important members).
- Variant of the above cases is a world where dwarves actually exist as members of other civs, and thus might, with luck, migrate to your fortress. I don't think I've seen such a world...

The world I currently use is PSV based and generated with the windows 32 bit 0.43.05 version. However, posting it didn't work, as the PSV data was too large for the post limit. If it's of interest I can post the file off site and link to it.

This world is intended to be used with a trick: First you embark in the "ocean" tile just below the tile jutting out from the dwarven/goblin lands. You can embark wherever you like, as long as it is in that tile. Immediately after embark you retire the fortress (I assume abandon would work as well). This embark serves to generate a "bridge" over the water so the real embark can be reached by elves and humans. The "real" embark is in a desert tile, a few tiles north of the "bridge" embark, and a few tiles south of the goblin main site. I've done additional trickery to get brewable plants in my embark, but anywhere in that tile would do for non booze related play. Note that the titan attack pop trigger is set to 15 to allow titans to show up before you've recruited visitor citizens or produced kids. You may want to increase the number if you want peace and quiet (won't be too much quiet with the gobbo neighbors, though).

You can expect most of the settlers from the first fortress to migrate to the second one in one of the two waves (I received 6 out of the 7).

Gaston_Juice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2017, 12:13:16 am »

Please post a link offsite. Thanks a lot, PatrikLundell.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2017, 04:14:44 am »

I've zipped up a folder with the world gen parameters, instructions, and various Booze Quest related DFHack scripts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfj1ygn1d9trfb5/BoozeQuest.zip?dl=0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30:47 am »

So I've been exploring an interesting sheaf of worlds recently.

Code: (So Many Mountain Lakes) [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:EASTER]
[SEED:3.141592653589793238]
[HISTORY_SEED:moaUoecsqeomYk6gMSA2]
[NAME_SEED:0W0IUOUsGuIsYeCs4aaU]
[CREATURE_SEED:kA68keassGQiYCmsQ2aS]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1504]
[END_YEAR:1500]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:1000:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:202:303]
[RAINFALL:0:100:404:202]
[TEMPERATURE:-2:40:303:202]
[DRAINAGE:51:100:404:404]
[VOLCANISM:75:100:808:606]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:303:303]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:2:3:2:0:9:10]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:4:1:0:1:0:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:4:0:0:1:3:2]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:4:1:3:5:4:2]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:4:1:0:1:0:2]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:0:0:0:1:2]
[POLE:NONE]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:1500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:10]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:15]
[TITAN_NUMBER:10]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:20]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:20]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:20]
[SECRET_NUMBER:20]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:125:250:1000]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:75:50:25]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:15]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:4]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:1000:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:250:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:1000]
[RIVER_MINS:25:400]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:90]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:20]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:5]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:3]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:0]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:0]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:12]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:10000]
[SITE_CAP:750]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:2080:0:6140]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:1040]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2080:0:2080]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:4160]

Two things that need to be kept in mind: if it rejects even once, restart, the first gen attempt is the one you want, and fiddle around with things like small changes to the elevation/temperature/drainage/savagery x/y variance plus any combination of river initial/desired values, it mixes up the resulting world without losing the overal interesting features.

Those specific settings right there gave me this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Different tweaks have produced these reliably:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Figured these might scratch some "cozy mountain lake" itches.

gre11023

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2017, 09:09:39 pm »

Hello worldgen legendary cooks! I'm looking for your help in getting a specific kind of world. I'm fond of saving dwarven civilizations on the brink of total extinction, and I manage to generate such worlds with fair regularity thanks to some minor worldgen/raws modifications, such as ramping up evil squares count and removing multiple_litter_rare from elves and goblins.
What I'm having problems with is generating a civ starting already at war with them: I thought about toying with the personality values in the goblins' and elves' raws to make them more aggressive, or their entity values to make them able to settle almost anywhere, but i'm not sure how much that'd help or if it'd even backfire.
The site I had in mind has such requisites:

• Medium region
  • Glacier or tundra on arctic coast
  • Medium to high neutral savagery (please no evil, just this once i'd rather not deal with reanimating biomes or freaky weather)
  • With sand and clay
  • Neighbors: at war with elves and goblins, even better if either were the cause of the downfall of the played civ. Access to humans for trading
  • Struggling or dead civ (at embark must have the warning little blurb about your civ dead or dying, your dwarves might assume important positions)

I don't particularly care about any other kind of resource such as flux, iron, etc.; the theme I have in mind is the last survivors and descendants of a destroyed civ eking out a living in an unforgiving frozen waste. What can I do to stack the odds of worldgen further in my favor? Thanks for any help!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 14, 2017, 10:54:10 pm »

Give dorfs:
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

Give gobs/elves/whoever:
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

Oath breaking and lying can also cause wars but slavery/eating sapients does it like crazy.

Hakazaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »

Hey, could i have some advice for generating a pocket world with a massive amount of animal men? bonus points if the good races are having a really hard time.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »

Good evening fellows Chefs.  For my all my knowledge of WorldGen, I have never actually messed with Seeds before :-[  I created a world that I rather like the design of, but I want to adjust the Good/Evil parameters.  However, when I checked the data\saves folder, I could not find the seed info.  Can someone tell me where I find a world's seed info?  Also, will generating a world using that seed, but different parameters, produce completely different geography, or only different for the parameters I change?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2017, 04:46:58 am »

Good evening fellows Chefs.  For my all my knowledge of WorldGen, I have never actually messed with Seeds before :-[  I created a world that I rather like the design of, but I want to adjust the Good/Evil parameters.  However, when I checked the data\saves folder, I could not find the seed info.  Can someone tell me where I find a world's seed info?  Also, will generating a world using that seed, but different parameters, produce completely different geography, or only different for the parameters I change?
You can get the seeds by starting the save in Legends Mode and export parameters. The file generated (regionX-world_gen_parameters.txt in the top DF directory) contains the complete parameter set used to generate the world (probably excluding the PSV values if you specified those), ready to add to data\init\world_gen.txt.
There is a set of seeds provided in that file, and the first one, just called SEED, is the one that defines the geography. If you specify that seed only, the geography remains the same while the history etc. plays out differently.
Whether a world will have a completely different geography or not when changing advanced parameters depends on which parameters you change. Anything that will cause the RNGs for the geography generation to change anywhere in the sequence will result in a different layout, while things that affects things "on top" of the geography do not. Sometimes the connections are not obvious, though.
I suspect changing good/evil parameters won't change the geography, but I'm not betting or promising anything: you'll have to try.

Edit:
@Hakazaba: I (and probably others) am not ignoring your question, but lack an answer. I've tried various approaches but haven't gotten anywhere (I assume you mean animal people being members of civs: I believe "wild" animal people can be generated through raw editing.).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:30:41 am by PatrikLundell »

Galaxyfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 11, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »

During world generation, good or evil biomes seem to fall on certain types of terrain moreso than others.

For example, lets look at requested number of large biomes for evil. [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:60:60:1]

If I'm understanding this correctly, I'm saying that at least 1 tile in a large biome needs to be evil. Because the entire biome will have to be the same type, that means 1 large biome will be evil.

(1) How many map tiles big does a biome have to be in order to be considered "large"?

(2) For some reason, certain terrain types will tend to be designated as the large evil biome. In my example, I have 3 oceans in my world. I can regen the world repeatedly, but 99% of the time the large evil biome ends up being one of these oceans. Why not a mountain range? Why not a very large desert? This creates some really boring worlds where I can easily predict that if I choose to enable evil tiles for large biomes, it will likely just be the ocean that is evil and not a mountain range or a large forest or anything else.

To a lesser degree, the same event seems to happen to the small and medium evil/good square count where hills and savanna seem to have a higher preference there. What is going on?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 11, 2017, 05:15:17 pm »

Wiki:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Desired_Good.2FEvil_Square_Counts
The Evil/Good square counts specifies the minimum number of tiles that have to be in regions of the given size. This means that if there is only on large region in the world and the large region count is at least one (and less than or equal to the number of tiles in that biome), that biome will have to take the value specified. You can similarly control medium and small regions. With a PSV world, it's reasonably easy to place good and evil tiles exactly (or nearly so), by e.g. set the single large plain where you want the goblins to match a large evil square count of 1 (with the other counts = 0), and all the small ones where you want your embark(s) to be good, with all the rest divided into medium size regions (using hills/plains you can split the human area up into smaller areas).
World gen can still throw a spanner in the works by e.g. placing a volcano such that it splits a region, though.

Galaxyfalcon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2017, 07:27:31 pm »

e.g. set the single large plain where you want the goblins to match a large evil square count of 1 (with the other counts = 0), and all the small ones where you want your embark(s) to be good, with all the rest divided into medium size regions (using hills/plains you can split the human area up into smaller areas).

Can you explain this in more detail/a different way? I'm not sure if I understand. I've been experimenting with Perfect World so that helps as far as (PSV=planet seed value?) that goes.
I'm curious about what you mention because I have a world I'm thinking about using, but I don't want goblins to start out on a certain part of the map in addition to finding a better way to determine where the evil or good regions might be. Again, I would be more interested in seeing evil mountain ranges, plains, deserts, or forests as opposed to having the evil biome roll on one of the oceans all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27