Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do?

More attempts at dragonslaying.
- 0 (0%)
More dungeon-crawling (how much depends entirely on how I feel.)
- 0 (0%)
Travel! Find some unique events!
- 0 (0%)
Kill enough robber-knights to make a portcullis out of their plate.
- 0 (0%)
I dunno, kill some witches or something.
- 0 (0%)
Just retire, bro.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Let's Eventually Play Darklands Part 2: Catholic-Consuming, Cranky, Cathars  (Read 23304 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

By the way, my medieval name is "Euchre of Jack".
Might work better as "Jack of Euchre"
Euchre sounds like the name of some barony or somesuch, Jack does not.

It could work in a more modern setting since jack can be used as a slang term for nothing IE Euchre of Nothing.

Probably just going to use Jack of Euchre though since it fits into Darklands better. Kinda works better as a euchre reference too.

Town Trade Family->Student->Alchemist->Alchemist

You didn't specify occupations so I just went with a generic alchemist background. I would've fixed your strength problem with a bandit occupation but 35 is edging into old age and you probably would've lost what attributes you gained from it.

I just picked a random heraldry since we've run out of interesting ones.

Looks sorta like a jack, sorta.

Now that I have a full party there is a chance I'll start this Let's Play at any moment; you may go to sleep one night and awake to Darklands! It's a frighteningly dangerous world we live in.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:41:11 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am sufficiently terrified. PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Now that I have a full party there is a chance I'll start this Let's Play at any moment; you may go to sleep one night and awake to Darklands! It's a frighteningly dangerous world we live in.
I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY VICTORY TRUMPETS! I SHOULD GET THESE THINGS UNINSTALLED!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Eventually Play Darklands Part Prelude: Inspirational Incidents
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:34 am »

No clue if any of you enjoyed this, but I enjoyed writing it and that's what matters!

However, I am curious about how people feel about the portraits. I'm probably going to stay within the 14th-17th century timeframe for now but I might need to dip into the 18th century later. Definitely not going into the 19th century though - too many photographs. Any objections? Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:26:52 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:41 pm »

However, I am curious about how people feel about the portraits. I'm probably going to stay within the 14th-17th century timeframe for now but I might need to dip into the 18th century later. Definitely not going into the 19th century though - too many photographs. Any objections? Any suggestions?
Throw in a Blackadder pic where it's warranted and you have my sword.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »

And so the great Jack of Euchre turned a thread that was failing like Lead and transformed it into Pure Gold, just by showing up.

I really am an Alchemist!  :P

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »

And so the great Jack of Euchre turned a thread that was failing like Lead and transformed it into Pure Gold, just by showing up.

I really am an Alchemist!  :P

It's a real shame that all the lead mines in Darklands are infested with dwarfs and kobolds, isn't it?

Wasteland 1 & 2

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 08:04:48 am »

Very nicely written, and the portraits are quite lovely (feel free to dip in wherever you like with them, I'm not really a stickler for period accuracy, see lead mines being infested with dwarfs and kobolds).

Although I guess dwarfs and kobolds might just be a personification of lead poisoning. I wonder what an asbestos mine would feature in that case.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 05:03:05 pm »

Very nicely written, and the portraits are quite lovely (feel free to dip in wherever you like with them, I'm not really a stickler for period accuracy, see lead mines being infested with dwarfs and kobolds).

Although I guess dwarfs and kobolds might just be a personification of lead poisoning. I wonder what an asbestos mine would feature in that case.

Historical accuracy isn't too much of a concern for the 1500s bits. Mostly want an enjoyable and cohesive style for it.

Which means no portraits like this.

No, the dwarfs in this game are not the personification of lead poisoning; they're just Satan worshipers.

"Some dwarfs are reputed to be great sorcerers and magicians, which suggests they are in league with Satan. Presumably, therefore, they can command some of the same powers as witches and other satanic cults." Then again, dragons are also mentioned to be beasts of Satan in the manual so maybe it's not completely accurate.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:36:02 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 06:08:00 pm »

Maybe Satan is just a euphemism for heavy metal poisoning. They both originate from the underworld, are unsettlingly influential and insidiously corrupt you, no?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:11:53 pm by Harry Baldman »

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 07:56:44 pm »

Maybe Satan is just a euphemism for heavy metal poisoning. They both originate from the underworld, are unsettlingly influential and insidiously corrupt you, no?
You're thinking of Hades, or Pluto If by "insidiously corrupts you," you mean "makes you literally retarded," then yes.

Also, what's all this talk of "lead" and "heavy metal"? Sounds like heresy witchcraft to me.
Sigtext

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 08:38:36 am »

WOOT IT STARTED

And it was pretty awesome too.

Though I DO wonder how everyone but Hanse got their entire bodies stolen by the thieves they encountered along with their equipment :P

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

No idea how long I'm going to go wandering in the wilderness. A year maybe? I dunno. What I do know, however, is that I'm going to do a character update.

Known saints\alchemical formulas are in the OP. It might seem unnecessary now, but there are more than enough of both to warrant their own list.
Wasteland 1 & 2

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously wait till her saint day and then have Vocalo dump all divine favor into Lutgardis for charisma points. HE MUST BE THE BEST AT TALKING

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Obviously wait till her saint day and then have Vocalo dump all divine favor into Lutgardis for charisma points. HE MUST BE THE BEST AT TALKING

No real reason to do that since you'll lose the charisma after a day or two. Saints are pretty much flavorful magic spells and Divine Favor is your flavorful magic juice. I wouldn't get too attached to any of them, there's over a hundred from what I remember. Most of them do boring things like improved weapon skill (skills\stats max out at 99 by the way)  or riding.

Not sure what Saint Days do, but I'm pretty sure it is just reduced cost or something. Never really bothered since Divine Favor can be regenerated pretty quickly. That, and as you might have noticed characters actually age in this game. Probably not the best of ideas to wait a whole year just to save some Favor or get a quest or whatever Saint Days actually do.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:24:10 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6