Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do?

More attempts at dragonslaying.
- 0 (0%)
More dungeon-crawling (how much depends entirely on how I feel.)
- 0 (0%)
Travel! Find some unique events!
- 0 (0%)
Kill enough robber-knights to make a portcullis out of their plate.
- 0 (0%)
I dunno, kill some witches or something.
- 0 (0%)
Just retire, bro.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Let's Eventually Play Darklands Part 2: Catholic-Consuming, Cranky, Cathars  (Read 23310 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So we basically have two Saitama?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm kind of assuming your game is bugged if everyone seems to have insane strength and endurance. The last time I played this I installed from 16 floppy disks and got a ton of disk read errors oddly enough, but didn't seem bugged. :s

This might be post-grinding.

It is pretty hard to raise stats in Darklands, so no, this isn't after grinding.

These strength and endurance stats are actually pretty normal in Darklands as it sorta expects every character to be a melee fighter of some sort. The reason why the stats are ridiculous in terms of the game's logic is that the game mentions in the manual that "The normal range for human attributes is 10 to 40, with 25 the average." which means that two of the characters submitted so far are above normal human capabilities just from being footmen/peasantry.
I looked around a bunch of darklands lets plays and most characters seemed to have 30-40 strength so I guess it's pretty normal.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

I looked around a bunch of darklands lets plays and most characters seemed to have 30-40 strength so I guess it's pretty normal.

Think it worth mentioning that just because the game expects you to mostly use melee doesn't mean that you can't be mostly an archer, just that you'll probably be more successful as a ranger rather than a pure archer. Part of the reason I'm grinding skill levels up for everyone is to prevent more inefficient builds from getting butchered immediately.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:28:32 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm grinding skill levels up for everyone is so more inefficient builds won't get butchered immediately.
*whistles innocently*

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump/ How is this coming along?

Would be nice to actually get an update. I mean I know, grinding, but an occasional "you are now all level 10! WOO!" would be nice...

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Time to submit these is about two to three months.

I haven't even started this yet, it is called Let's Eventually Play Darklands after all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:48:50 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure I just ripped the occupations from the Manual.  But glad I could help!

Alchemist is always a hard character to build.  Ideally needs Charisma* and Intelligence, plus the mandatory Strength and Endurance.  And if everyone else has high Agility, Alche can't slow everyone down.

*While Intelligence is technically enough, Charisma makes it easier to get formulas, as its used when asking for them.  Maybe A Thing will have better luck, but I always found it hard to switch out characters in such a way to get the formulas from the Town Alchemists on the Party Alchemist.  Could just be my laziness.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, guess I misjudged just how eventually it is :P

Indeed, I do this.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Pre-emptive PTW :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure I just ripped the occupations from the Manual.  But glad I could help!

Alchemist is always a hard character to build.  Ideally needs Charisma* and Intelligence, plus the mandatory Strength and Endurance.  And if everyone else has high Agility, Alche can't slow everyone down.

*While Intelligence is technically enough, Charisma makes it easier to get formulas, as its used when asking for them.  Maybe A Thing will have better luck, but I always found it hard to switch out characters in such a way to get the formulas from the Town Alchemists on the Party Alchemist.  Could just be my laziness.

You might've taken the categories names from the manual, but you definitely made the list.

While charisma is helpful to alchemists, I'm pretty sure the academies check for intelligence\speak: Latin and not charisma. Not very helpful if you don't start in a city with a academy and\or lack the funds to buy recipes, but I could see it being an alternative to having your alchemist spread thin over a lot of stats and skills.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:33:54 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile

Someone please just join so we can start this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Someone please just join so we can start this.

The reason I haven't started yet is not because of a lack of submissions (I'll just call in Rob if we need more) it's because I want to finish Wasteland 1 first. Can't exactly do three let's plays at once since each update for these things usually takes five hours to do at the minimum.
Wasteland 1 & 2

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cocktease

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Cocktease

The witches in Darklands do like to tease, but I don't know if you needed to be so vulgar to convey your feelings to us. :P
Wasteland 1 & 2

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6