Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caste-level bodyparts and clothing.  (Read 1124 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Caste-level bodyparts and clothing.
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »

I was wondering is it possible to create a creature so that only a caste has a bodypart?

Is it possible to make custom armor go on a custom body part?

Is it possible to make armor/clothing restricted to a caste?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Caste-level bodyparts and clothing.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »

Yes, no, and no.  You can set up castes with slightly different or completely different body plans.  However, my understanding is that clothing doesn't really care about body parts at all, just size and basic location.  If you made a rare caste of dwarves with six arms, they'd be able to wear the exact same shirt as all the two-armed dwarves.  I'd love to have more control over how custom armor and clothing is worn, but I don't think it's possible yet.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 03:46:09 pm »

Ah well. This is gonna be slightly weird. (a civ im gonna did)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:21 pm »

an other related question :
what happens to clothing / armor when you have castes of a race that are different size? will they still be able to wear them no metter their size? will other races be able to wear them if they are the same size as one of the castes?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:06 pm »

Clothing looks for the GRASP and STANCE tags on the body part.  So for example, my monkey people with prehensile tails will wear gloves on their tails. 

If you want an example of castes with different body parts, check out sheep.  Only the males have horns. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:06:16 am »

an other related question :
what happens to clothing / armor when you have castes of a race that are different size? will they still be able to wear them no metter their size? will other races be able to wear them if they are the same size as one of the castes?
The answer to the first question is simply yes, but the second question is more complicated. I really don't know exactly how it works, something complicated ends up happening I'm pretty sure, but the exacts are hidden away in the forum somewhere.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:59:02 pm »

If you were wandering, I was going to make a humanoid cat civ, which the females wood wear bikinis, But to stop males from wearing them, I though i'll add breasts to the females, and have bikinis go on that...