Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Arcane Exile [Early Spring, Week 2: Burst]  (Read 22049 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Exile [Recruiting!]
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2016, 04:15:46 pm »

Whoa I just realized that you said melee wasn't an actual skill, like forever ago. Do I need to change that?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2016, 07:42:25 pm »

Whoa I just realized that you said melee wasn't an actual skill, like forever ago. Do I need to change that?
I remember reading that, but can't find the post, and the first post does list mundane combat skills.

While waiting for IronyOwl to decide what "soon-ish" means, I mugged this game for it's magic system, and started a suggestion game about founding a magic guild.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2016, 10:22:59 pm »

Apologies for the (continued) delay. My Warrens hijack has grown legs and begun demanding equal rights, and I neglected to figure out how I was going to tally or combine the embark suggestions ahead of time.

How do we use our infused objects? Is there a hidden ritual affinity that you never told us about?
Anything can be a ritual. Infusion-stuff, like neat materials attained elsewhere, are generally used to make a more powerful or enable an otherwise infeasible project.

By the way, just to be clear, this is my game plan:
1. Create a warded gating circle.
2. Gate in creature X.
3. Persuade (possibly by doing quests) creature X to help me siphon magic from it so that I can put it into a magical item (from your initial reaction to the magic missile question that I posed earlier, I suspect that I'll need help on the other end if I want to siphon off enough power to create a decent magical item).
That'll probably work.

Yeah. Combat skills are generally specific weapon skills like Axes or Swords, not an attack range or category like Melee. I'm actually not sure what you'd call unarmed or naturally armed combat like I assume you're going for.

Incomplete sheets don't harm your selection chances, though, if you were worried about that.

While waiting for IronyOwl to decide what "soon-ish" means, I mugged this game for it's magic system, and started a suggestion game about founding a magic guild.
Ruin everything while waiting to see if you got selected to ruin everything!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »

There once was a irony owl in a fix who said "I hate limericks." But when they told him, "Son you are already part of one." there was no end to his hysterics.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2016, 04:29:07 pm »

Name: Dave
Primary Skill: Runecrafting
Secondary Skills: Enchanting, Gating
Tertiary Skills: Protection, Vitamancy, Metal Magic.
Physical Description: A strange cross between an otter and a weasel. Wears goggles on his forehead and has a kind of golden brown fur color. Four feet tall.
Mental Description: Very dedicated to his arts, somewhat standoffish but generally good humored.
Bio: Dave initially allied himself with the movement so he could further his studies into artificing and general magic. Kinda got swept up in the power grab since it seemed like fun and all the cool kids were doing it. That clearly didn't go well. No one really asks why the son of two elves ended up being an unholy crossbreed on par with the platypus for some reason.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 05:09:51 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

UristmcLibash

• Bay Watcher
  • Gaurding guard is guarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2016, 04:54:12 pm »

Oi, its been a while since i posted anything and im going to be busy still so i cant join, but since i want a nice read later im going to post a ruin for you all to die on.

Spoiler: The Zafal Ineth Ruins (click to show/hide)
Eh,ye want a sig text from me? Well to bad.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

So are we allowed to pick the combined skills or are those just achieving mastery of the component skills?

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2016, 04:58:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
+1 to this land.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2016, 04:47:46 am »

Turn 0a: Devastation

[5 Dice Each]
[2+2+1+1+0=6 Successes, 2 Flaws]Harry Kelln (Pencil_Art)
[2+1+0=3 Successes, 2 Flaws]Karon (DemonicSpoon)
[4+3+1+0=8 Successes, 0 Flaws]Albert Stone (Playergamer)
[3+1+1+1+0=6 Successes, 4 Flaws]Alexander Androm (crazyabe)
[3+1+1+1+0=6 Successes, 1 Flaw]Sir Knightly (Roboson)
[1+0=1 Successes, 0 Flaws]Fredegar Frostwick (TheBiggerFish)
[1+1+1+1+1+0=5 Successes, 1 Flaw]Angercrash Blackbrand or Stormbringer Stephen (Nirur Torir)
[2+1+0=3 Successes, 1 Flaw]Rena (AbstractTraitorHero)
[2+2+1+0=5 Successes, 1 Flaw]Serathia Kalrak (DigitalDemon)
[3+1+0=4 Successes, 3 Flaws]Kita Yakumo (piratejoe)
[3+2+2+2+1+0=10 Successes, 2 Flaws]Isias Reborn (griffinpup)
[4+2+1+1+1+0=9 Successes, 1 Flaw]Tove Ashwringer (Criptfeind)
[1+1+0=2 Successes, 2 Flaws]Hirohisa "Elemental" Eita (chaotic skies)
[3+2+1+0=6 Successes, 2 Flaws]Lorkotol (ATHATH)
[4+3+1+0=8 Successes, 0 Flaws]Nero Deserter (Shadestyle)
[3+1+0=4 Successes, 3 Flaws]Dave (Froggy)

Isias Reborn (griffinpup)
Tove Ashwringer (Criptfeind)
Albert Stone (Playergamer)
Nero Deserter (Shadestyle)
Sir Knightly (Roboson)
Harry Kelln (Pencil_Art)
Lorkotol (ATHATH)

Polmarop 3: [2+2+1+0=5, 0 Flaws] (+1 late: 1+0=+1, +0 Flaws)
Skull 2: [1+1+0=2, 0 Flaws]
Sugarpetal 2: [0=0, 1 Flaw] (+1 late: 1+0=+1, +0 Flaws)
Goilree 1: [0=0, 0 Flaws]
Moth 1: [0=0, 1 Flaw]

Thus did the mighty and impeccable Baron Polmarop lead his seven loyal subjects on an epic journey... a journey to the promised land... a journey... to...

They're all going to die.

"Year 0," Late Winter, Week 4

The Starshatter Coast. A temperate seaside region, kept moist by the nearby ocean. It might even have been a nice place to live before the... incidents.

The Starshatter Coast takes its name from the fact that the terrain has literally been shattered by celestial impacts and volcanic reprisals. Its current geography consists primarily of monolithic stone shards, frequently carpeted by the wiry overgrowth that covers the region.

Speaking of which... the wildlife of the Starshatter Coast is, well, interesting. The popular theory is that it rode in on the wrath of the sky, but others believe it emerged from the depths or was created or mutated by one or both of the aforementioned catastrophes. Whatever the case, the local fauna and sometimes flora tend to be nasty ambush predators with a penchant for assaulting or infesting victims with ravening young.

There's a handful of upsides, but not many. The place is rich with bones and bone-like materials, which would mean it's as terrible an idea to live there as you'd expect only they also reanimate themselves so it's even worse. Other, harder to define riches lie beneath the surface as well, possibly organic secretions, exotic minerals, or gifts from the sky. The depths beneath sometimes hold vast, winding caverns filled with... okay, actually that's another downside. Most of the depths are filled with nests of insidious ambush predators accustomed to hunting in pitch darkness.

Not for the first time this journey, you are pretty certain you're going to die.

"Excellent, my minions!" Polmarop squawks from atop a wagon. "Now go, find the precise location of our new domain!"

You hate him so much.

After DAYS of scrabbling over jagged rocks while dodging hungry wildlife, you finally report back your findings. Polmarop tilts his head in a walleyed HMMMMMM, which you take as a brief window to make your own recommendation before he decides something stupid.

Your choices are:

Starshard Beach
This particular jumble of rocks looks out over a stretch of ocean that sees frequent tiny glowing meteor showers. Probably not coincidentally, it also sees frequent glowing swarms of tiny sea life skittering out onto land for various purposes, only some of them involving feasting upon the living. Frequent storms, unpredictable tides, fishmen raiders, and the occasional tidal wave for no reason round out its precarious nature.

Echoing Abyss
Horrifying sounds from something very, very large often echo up from this bottomless chasm. Hopefully you'll never have to see it, unlike the swarms of spiderlike horrors that sometimes do rush up from the depths, devouring and infecting anything they catch. Several local tribes consider the pit sacred, and will probably be on good terms with any entities holy enough to dwell near it. Well, except that one tribe of cannibals, they'll probably just try to eat your deliciously sacred flesh. Oh, and there might be something to that, because those living too close to the edge tend to have disturbing dreams.

Screeching Spire
This jagged mountain is utterly infested with noisy flying vermin of various shapes and sizes. Their nesting sites provide a handful of resources to go along with the endless cacophony and constant harassment, and larger specimens sometimes perpetrate more determined attacks or even carry victims off whole. The nesting sites also attract various landbound predators and thieves, most of which are more than happy to steal from and attempt to eat things which are very clearly not birds or bird eggs.

The Fallen
These titanic skeletal remains are large enough to form a semi-cavern beneath, even while half buried. The locals consider it a sacred site, but can't agree on whether the being and the shadowy horrors that seem to congregate under it are to be worshiped and admired or scorned and contained. This distinction shapes local politics, and is difficult to remain neutral on; the tribes are known for suspicion and contempt towards those claiming not to hold a side in this important theological discussion. Additionally, the shadowy beings themselves seem to favor or hunt people based on their attitude towards the remains, adding an ambient supernatural layer to the constant squabbling of the region. The emanations of the place are known to occasionally cause mutations, especially in those performing great feats of heroism or villainy.

Geyser Fields
This steamy, wet, relatively flat land is constantly bombarded by meteors and rocked by geyser eruptions. The constant geyser cycles seem to help perpetuate mystical energies, possibly strengthened or attained from the meteor strikes or secrets buried deep within the earth. In any case, these energies are known to greatly warp magical energies, materials, and people, sometimes for the better but often otherwise, especially when particular tastes are taken into account. The constant moisture, heat, and projectile bombardment by chunks of rock are also known to be obnoxious for mundane reasons.

The Cage
This volcano has some suspiciously bar-like formations in it, which might have subtly implied a prison without the raging magma elementals and related things constantly trying to get out. Some of the locals are always on the lookout for things to sacrifice to the volcano, its bindings, or the things it's keeping contained, while others are eager to appease or defeat the things that keep getting out. This all but ensures the friendship and enmity of at least a handful of groups at all times, and such relationships are prone to shift at the drop of a hat. The mountain itself is notoriously prone to earthquakes, lava leaks, and falling debris on top of all this, making it a dubious place to live save for the free lava.

---

Isias Reborn (griffinpup)
Tove Ashwringer (Criptfeind)
Albert Stone (Playergamer)
Nero Deserter (Shadestyle)
Sir Knightly (Roboson)
Harry Kelln (Pencil_Art)
Lorkotol (ATHATH)

...will all have to decide on a site, and soon. The Late Winter Blood Moon is fast approaching, and you don't want to think about what'll happen if you're caught out in the open for that.

You could also ask Polmarop for opinions and advice, though the reasons for wanting to do that are rather limited.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:21 am »

Player/Waitlist updated, though without descriptions.

So are we allowed to pick the combined skills or are those just achieving mastery of the component skills?
The latter.

Shadestyle.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Exile [Turn 0a: Devastation]
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2016, 08:47:09 am »

Tove grimaced as she considered the possibilities for their new home. Each detestable location seemingly more wretched then the last. With an overwrought sigh she dramatically raised her begloved hand to her head. "Woe that Tove, Jewel of the Ashwroughts, is brought to such a place! To languages in a pit of monsters and savagery! I bet that the locals do not even know how to tailors a proper dress! So many of these places are clearly unsuitable for our habitation! Magma monsters! Fishmen! Fog! I think clearly the only choice that seems halfway habitable is near that pit. I'm sure that rumors of spider monsters and unspeakable dreams are just sensationalist lies, and if we can start getting on the barbarous tribes good side, perhaps we can entice them to learn how to bath before approaching us!"

Vote for Echoing Abyss

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2016, 08:54:26 am »

"Spiders...might be able to do somethin' about that. Sure, why not?"

Stone casts his vote for the Echoing Abyss.

"I have to admit, none of these choices are very good."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2016, 12:42:31 pm »

Name: Nero Deserter
Primary Skill: Hair Elemental School
Secondary Skills: Summoning & Conjuration
Tertiary Skills: Alchemy, Communion, & Ice
Physical Description: A perky young man covered in tattoos and possessing floor length hair in an elaborate braid turning it into an almost turtle shell like shape.  He wears a thick purple trench coat and wields a wicked staff that looks somewhat like a comb, if combs were made from obsidian harpoons.
Mental Description: Mysterious and quirky, Nero has a strong confidence and infectious mood.
Bio: Banished for making pacts with beings who were sealed for a reason, he has been stripped of his former pacts and cast into exile.

Fixed my sheet.

"Oh but can't we live on the beach? The sea-salt is so good for my hair!" Nero says pleasantly, running a hand through the complex weave.

Starshard Beach
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:44:25 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »

(So a bunch of people i know nothing about got in, i doubt they or their lord will survive, hey if they get a TPK will we have a new embankment with the waitlisters and a new lord? And can you tell me how the rolling you did for the lords and waitlisted works?)
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2016, 01:20:32 pm »

(So a bunch of people i know nothing about got in, i doubt they or their lord will survive, hey if they get a TPK will we have a new embankment with the waitlisters and a new lord? And can you tell me how the rolling you did for the lords and waitlisted works?)
Maybe, though I wouldn't get your hopes up on living any longer than they do.

Rolling method was 5 dice per player, one die per vote for lords. 50/50 chance of a Success per die, with each Success rerolled, then those Successes rerolled, and so on. Each failure has a 33% chance of producing a Flaw, which served as a tiebreaker in this case.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12