Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complex Strategy and Simulation Games Suggestions  (Read 5212 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Complex Strategy and Simulation Games Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 10:40:35 am »

King of Dragon Pass seems vaguely appropriate under these criteria.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:21 am »

King of Dragon Pass seems vaguely appropriate under these criteria.

Nah. The mechanics are all hidden, but they're not that complex.

KoDP is more of an RPG, and not so much a "strategy" game.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

How about, erm,  Battle Chess?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 06:29:00 pm »

Machiavelli the Prince (Merchant Prince 1+2) probably qualifies. A bit of war, a bit of intrigue, a bit of building, a lot of trading. I wouldn't exactly tout its musical score, but it does everything else in a vaguely complex way.

Lords of the Realm 1/2/3(?) has a bit of trading, crop/land/resource management, sieges and war, and might just qualify as well, if only for its "simulationist" aspects of medieval life. Which isn't great, but it's not just a wargame, although that's what it essentially boils down to. But economy (or mercenary pay) comes first.

Didn't see if Romance of the Three Kingdoms was on the list, but it probably should be. Between that, Nobunaga's Ambition and Ghengis Khan, the series as a whole deserves a listing. Plenty of production, intrigue, officer management, etc on top of the war bits. It's a huge series of games, so as a whole, I think they qualify. Ghengis Khan in AI vs AI makes for a fascinating screen saver, incidentally.

Speaking of which, Galimulator on Android is still in development and does a great job of simulating a galaxy with lots of different populations. Think Stellaris super-lite, on mobile. There's a thread about it on this forum. There's a bit of interactivity available, war is an option, but it might be too "hands off" to really qualify as a game just yet, even though you can get high scores.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:38:50 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 04:57:31 am »

Distant worlds is a decently complex real time 4x and might fit as well. Has state (player controlled) and private (uncontrollable) economies for each empire and pirate group. As well as many resources and sometimes tourists or slaves that need to be hauled around by ships etc. Has a very simulation-y feel to the economy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:39:15 am by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Abram Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Games by Abe Jones
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »

Supreme ruler, this is the most fucking complex game i played after dwarf fortress and Aurora space sim thingy. You have scenarios and also a sandbox game and have to pick a country, then you manage domestic devlopment, set budget, take care of foreign diplomacy, research and so on. Seriously the most indept in terms of military/social/political mash-up game, some parts are very deep, some other not so much (i look at you diplomacy), but all of them combined together will send your head spinning tryin to balance everything.

Thanks, I just added both the Supreme Ruler series and Aurora. Is there anything that sets Supreme Ruler apart from other Paradox games?

Factorio is a factory building game that seems pretty complex.

Since you have Civ on there, Endless Legend probably belongs on your list as well.

What's your rules on Space 4X games? Because I only see Stellaris, and it seems that your list should probably include games like Endless Space, Masters of Orion, Galactic Civ III, and Star Ruler II. And then Aurora is more complex than all of them.

Factorio is indeed pretty complex, I have looked into the game before. I don't think it would qualify for this list though because I think it lacks in multiple mechanics to win or dominate the game (correct me if I'm wrong). I am perfectly fine with space games, I had a few more added than just Stellaris. I have also just added all of your space game suggestions. Thanks (:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:39:54 pm by Abram Jones »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 03:04:01 pm »

Starlords 3k is another space 4X, but it's significantly detailed. You can probably be happy with messing with logistics, albeit you will need to deal with other realms. Note that this is significantly multiplayer.
Check out my books at O and H Books
Pages: 1 [2]