Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Mission: Invidious Jail  (Read 19647 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission: Invidious Jail
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:46 am »

[TECHNOHELL]

Spider on down to the heat and machinery. Try to figure out what the machines do.
You crawl all the way down to the point where the vertical shaft takes a 90 degree turn and follow it a while. The place is hot. Very hot. Hot enough to be fatal to an unsuited person, and only getting hotter. The machinery is...well it's quite odd. The room at the end of this tunnel is shaped like a wide, stout cylinder, and the machinery they saw is emerging up through the floor of the room. The machine, if that's the right word for it, appears to be an enormous sphere, though only a small section of it is visible, the rest is down below this room. The sphere itself is metallic and is covered in deep grooves, so that it looks as though the sphere is made of many individual metal plates standing vertically with a small amount of space between each. And the entire thing is rotating, spinning erratically at high speeds, and glowing red hot. Steam is pouring out around the edges of the circular hole the convoluted sphere is peeking up through. It's like a metal ball bearing jammed in the spout of a tea kettle, with steam pounding against it. There are two service exits out of this room, or at least two doors that look like they fit that criteria. Neither is giant robot accessible.

[TECHNOHELL]
Random side-passage, go down it a short ways, come back to the group if it's more of the same. either way I'm making sure I stay oriented.
You take a pathway at random. It looks an awful lot like the main one, complete with other random side paths.

[TECHNOHELL]
"I'll send drones down to scout with you spider-mecha-man"

Send two drones down with NAV and have them cover directions he isn't looking in to warn in case of ambush, if ambushed have the drones attack whatever it is from NAV's rear flank above so they don't freindly fire him.

((PW can I get rough explanation of what the drones are equipped))
I have no idea what these drones are. What are these drones? Where did they come from? Did I give them to you? Is past piecewise sabotaging me again?

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Careful. I hear that mercury absorbs magic."

If there's anyone standing about, keep them free of outside interference with white hot club if it comes to that, whether that be beating away attacking organisms or batting away incoming projectiles.

If there's nobody standing about and either firing or magicking, approach closer to chromoebas as they are no doubt ruthlessly attacked and see if in the oncoming fire I can maybe save some of their matter.

[Branching Fuckery]

Start firing the crystalline projector at the ambeoa's again, if they get close enough then stab them.
[Branching Fuckery]

Let the others have some fun while I begin cutting ameoba statues free and rolling them into my pocket dimension. If my genehacked strength isnt enough use my dragon for transportation.

Aside from that keep my dragon on ballistic gem overwatch in case my team cant deal with the new threat.

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Do we need a sample of one of those light sources? We could try to cut some away from the rest of the lattice, then just shove it towards the portal..."

Assist with Amoeba statue cutting using the pimpknuckle's circular saw blade function. Beat a hasty retreat if the second wave gets close, preferably on dragonback. View one of the light sources: would it be possible to cut one away from the lattice using explosives, melee weapons, and a material corrosion round?
Ok so we got 4 people here who all see a giant flood of alien life forms coming at them. 50% of them decide to ignore it and just start looting dead enemies while the other 50% start shooting. Alright. So The first bit of good news is that you guys manage to gather a few corpses. Or, rather, you gather a large chunk of gold that probably contains several corpes. Problem here is that you can't gather individual corpses because you can't see those corpses because someone embedded them in a frankly stupid amount of gold. And you don't have the time to sit around and slowly probe your way through it.

Second bit of good news: the attempts to ward off the new, chrome amoebae are successful. Cthunkan (sp?) manages to save a chunk of their matter before then having to rapidly retreat while defending himself with his club. The crystalline projector shots from his teammate are enough to bring down the rest of the horde, though at the cost of an entire magazine worth of ammo.

As per the question of cutting away a lightsource, it's hard to say. The source of light is way deep in one of the thick parts of the lattice. You see the light of it like a bulb hidden behind several layers of metal mesh; the glow is visible but the source and any details of it are unknown. You'd have to penetrate deeper into the lattice and the large structure that is created by dense overlapping sections of it.

Of course THAT is gonna be kinda hard because now there are even more amoebas coming down towards you and they now look like strange droplets of multi-color oil and are noticeably larger.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2016, 11:10:36 am »

[branchingfuckery]

Christopher slowly realises something.

"How the hell do we know when we have enough material? Anyone?"
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:15 am »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"We loot until we can loot no more, Donnie. The sky is the limit," Cthunkan says resplendently with an innate feeling of being excellently spelled. "Get a lot of everything. And if one of the things is our man, lucky us. Nobody knows what the hell any of this is without extensive testing. All we've got so far is 'this looks promising, go in and steal everything'. Now enough yapping, there's a lot of everything around here that still needs stealing!"

Speaking of, catch as many of the chrome amoeba bits as possible and drop them off in this cool pocket dimension I hear Auron has via magical bucket runs with the matter saver (or, if that's easier to do, just herding the amoeba corpses in low gravity toward him). I'm sure he won't mind more loot, right?

Also maybe get covering fire while I steal more bits.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:15:48 pm by Harry Baldman »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2016, 11:49:33 am »

"There's a giant spinny orb. I'm gonna poke it with a stick."
Cameyes the orb, cameyes the two service exits, and cameyes under the orb.
If that reveals nothing poke the orb with a stick.

Spoiler: @ Corsair's drones (click to show/hide)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:59 am »

[BRANCHINGFUCKERY]

If Auron's gold spitting dragon isn't enough, attack the next wave with doctrine fire. Otherwise loot generally.

Just to check: does the material surrounding the glowing bits look different to the stuff we're clinging to?

"These ones look like they're a different colour to the rest," internalises Christopher, who also feels completely well-spelt.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »

[Branching Fuckery]
"Seems these took more converting than usual."
reload. wait for the monsters to come for me this time. Before stabbing them with the crystalline projector
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

[TECHNOHELL]
it's more of the same so I go back to the group, as stated in my last action.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2016, 04:30:38 pm »

[Branching Fuckery]
Have my dragon begin unleashing ballistic gem artillery fire upon the incoming swarm, when they get closer switch back to torrents of gold.

Use my solid light generator to build a carry cage for the team that my dragon can lift.

If the incoming horde is too difficult to stop have the team bug out and close my portal, fly out into open air and move toward one of the less defended glowy sections.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:43 am »

[TECHNOHELL]
((Yep those are the drones, what are they exactly present pw))
"Appears to be some sort of geothermal generator... I think.. or a really weird art installation, open the passages and I'll send the drones through to scout"
Once passages are opened if the drones can't open them themselves have the drones scout each together with one hanging back a bit in case of FUN, scout only up to the next room or something interesting then check the other side.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

Climb down the shaft, since I'm pretty sure jump jets aren't rated for giving you a soft landing.

If I make this without crippling myself, attempt to open the door in the following steps:

1) Is there a handle or an obvious access button/panel. If so disregard following steps

2) Punch door with assaultsuit strength

3) slam AS-CAF-RP-Pm225: DECEITFUL IVORY, (Banner's Gamma Dong) into the door with assaultsuit's strength.

4) Skip straight to the inevitable conclusion and try blowing it open with a high-explosive grenade.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2016, 12:35:55 am »

IF YOU DON'T TAG YOUR POST I'M GONNA IGNORE YOU.
FIGHT ME.

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"We loot until we can loot no more, Donnie. The sky is the limit," Cthunkan says resplendently with an innate feeling of being excellently spelled. "Get a lot of everything. And if one of the things is our man, lucky us. Nobody knows what the hell any of this is without extensive testing. All we've got so far is 'this looks promising, go in and steal everything'. Now enough yapping, there's a lot of everything around here that still needs stealing!"

Speaking of, catch as many of the chrome amoeba bits as possible and drop them off in this cool pocket dimension I hear Auron has via magical bucket runs with the matter saver (or, if that's easier to do, just herding the amoeba corpses in low gravity toward him). I'm sure he won't mind more loot, right?

Also maybe get covering fire while I steal more bits.

[BRANCHINGFUCKERY]

If Auron's gold spitting dragon isn't enough, attack the next wave with doctrine fire. Otherwise loot generally.

Just to check: does the material surrounding the glowing bits look different to the stuff we're clinging to?

"These ones look like they're a different colour to the rest," internalises Christopher, who also feels completely well-spelt.
[Branching Fuckery]
"Seems these took more converting than usual."
reload. wait for the monsters to come for me this time. Before stabbing them with the crystalline projector
[Branching Fuckery]
Have my dragon begin unleashing ballistic gem artillery fire upon the incoming swarm, when they get closer switch back to torrents of gold.

Use my solid light generator to build a carry cage for the team that my dragon can lift.

If the incoming horde is too difficult to stop have the team bug out and close my portal, fly out into open air and move toward one of the less defended glowy sections.

Ok so you guys get several chrome amoeba bodies. Thats the good news. Bad news is that the new amoebas are completely fucking ignoring your attacks. Gold, heat, crystals, it doesn't matter, they're just rolling straight through them like it's nothing. As such, Auron grabs everyone in a light cage and drags them off the section of lattice they are currently occupying. The Amoebae don't try to follow, instead they simply head to the damaged sections of the lattice and begin repairing it.

Auron deposits everyone on another section of lattice a good distance from the first.

[TECHNOHELL]
it's more of the same so I go back to the group, as stated in my last action.

[TECHNOHELL]
((Yep those are the drones, what are they exactly present pw))
"Appears to be some sort of geothermal generator... I think.. or a really weird art installation, open the passages and I'll send the drones through to scout"
Once passages are opened if the drones can't open them themselves have the drones scout each together with one hanging back a bit in case of FUN, scout only up to the next room or something interesting then check the other side.
Kitty returns to the ship.

Those drones are basically just bigger versions of the normal drones. Ie more powerful laser, more robust drone.

You wait patiently for someone to open the doors for you. Hopefully someone WITH A PROPER SENSE OF DECORUM!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2016, 04:19:05 am »

[TECHNOHELL]
Climb down the shaft, since I'm pretty sure jump jets aren't rated for giving you a soft landing.

If I make this without crippling myself, attempt to open the door in the following steps:

1) Is there a handle or an obvious access button/panel. If so disregard following steps

2) Punch door with assaultsuit strength

3) slam AS-CAF-RP-Pm225: DECEITFUL IVORY, (Banner's Gamma Dong) into the door with assaultsuit's strength.

4) Skip straight to the inevitable conclusion and try blowing it open with a high-explosive grenade.

"I'm going down the pit. If I fall and die, make my memorial have a shitty limerick about falling on it"

(I was on phone, bite me)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2016, 04:31:06 am »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Gentlemen, we may have our man."

Sneak on up to one of these new amoebas and see if I can steal a chunk with the Matter Saver and then bug out rapidly. Empty the current contents of my own Matter Saver into whatever storage solution Auron can be arsed to provide before brave theft.

If one amoeba notices and comes toward me, try to steal a bit of it before running the hell away. If a lot of them start coming at me, just focus on running like hell.

EDIT: If Christopher's attempt to compress an amoeba works, grab one of those and bug out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:29:24 am by Harry Baldman »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2016, 04:49:05 am »

[bf]

"So... these are the things? How about I compress them into a really small ball, then someone takes the ball? The armoury person said I could do something like that with the arranger!"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2016, 05:04:17 am »

"I have no idea. But they seem very resilient, which is what we're looking for. Try it. Worst case scenario, everyone dies. Not a big loss."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9