Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Mission: Invidious Jail  (Read 19568 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission: Invidious Jail
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 12:40:25 pm »

BRANCHING FUCKERY
[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

First things first, take a sample of the lattice with any tools available. See how hard it is to dislodge. If very difficult, take a small bite out of it with the matter saver. Stand well back and observe how it behaves when damaged.
You get out of the ship and drift over to the nearest bit of lattice. You find a small, fragile looking piece and snap it off. Even though it's only about the thickness of a few hairs, it gives even your inhuman muscles a fair bit of difficulty. The lattice itself does not appear to do anything, however your long range motion sensors do pick up movement deep in the more tightly clustered areas of the lattice, down with the glowing lights.

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Stab a piece of the lattice with the crystal projector, anything interesting happen?
Nah. It's no different than if you stabbed drywall with a steel knife; nothing exciting happens in either direction.

((NJW, you at techhell or fractal? pw has you at fractal...))
((Aaaaah shit. This may happen a lot.))

[BRANCHINGFUCKERY]

"Don't stab the Xeno shit with experimental and weird weapons, soldier! What happened at the island was bad enough! Also, can anyone tell if this stuff is metal? And who here can actually move through space?"

Switch assasultsuit to heat detection mode, check if the clusters of lights give off heat much, if certain ones do, try and remember them. Switch to motion detection mode, check for moving stuff, primarily any heading towards us, then for the nearest movement to us, and where the most movement is... stuff that might be relevant, basically. Try and tell if the lattice is made of metal.

Upon seeing somebody try to stab the lattice with a crystal projector unannounced, Christopher would gently but speedily remove them or the projector from said lattice, though wouldn't throw them into space or anything.

You slap the guy trying to stick his crystal dick where it doesn't belong before doing some scanning.

All the light sources here are giving off heat, but some do give off more. It seems to be related to size. Motion sensors reveal that there are things moving, and that they are coming towards you. Or at least coming in this general direction. They're coming from the nearest glowing cluster.

The make up of the lattice is hard to say exactly. It looks like metal and it's certainly  very robust.

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Walk out of the shuttle and set up my portal.
begin matter saving sections of a fractal arm we are not standing on and ejecting them into my pocket dimension.

...How big a section we talking here?

TECHNOHELL

[TECHNOHELL]

If we're on a world with normal or low gravity and a normal or thick atmosphere, then I position myself where I can bail out if need be. I'm low density so I should have a quite low terminal velocity and be less affected by gravity, which will greatly reduce falling risks even before my cat-nature is taken into account.

If falling is dangerous for me then I'll hide near my allies and hope they handle the situation without my interference.

If all efforts fail and we enter an uncontrolled fall, then I'll have no choice but to mass-manip amp us to safety. I will only do this after others actions have failed.

Mission Start Reminder to PW that Lyra has both Haber Implant and Empathic Gland

You run up to the nearest door and prepare to jump out, banking on the fact that normal gravity and atmosphere will slow you down enough that any fall should be survivable.

TECHNOHELL
Open the shuttle door, grab the wall or ground and stop the shuttle from slippling.
"Hey bros. Check out my new giant spider robot. Who's leading this mission?"
You're way too big to be in the shuttle, you're just attached to the bottom. So instead you simply extend all your legs and wedge yourself against the walls, preventing the ship from falling.

((Assaultsuits can't fly unless the other guy bought the flight variant, I got jump jets))

TECHNOHELL

Try to see if the ship is actually capable of hovering in place or if it's a "ship" as in a box to teleport with

It could, yes, though it's in kind of a bad position to start doing that. Leveling it out and then hovering would be best.

It's a normal shuttle with a teleport anchor affixed to it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2016, 12:57:58 pm »

[Branchfuck]

"We need to get several different types of stuff, from what I understood of the briefing. There seems to be a lot of this metal rope shit that we're clinging to now, but not much else here. Only different stuff I can see are those glowing things and the metal creatures that the scientists said live on the light things, or something. So once we've got some of this metal, we need to get some of the light source, and maybe a few of those things' bodies too.

"Talking of, looks like some of them are headed this way, I'm picking up movement in our direction from the nearest light source. Could be hostile.

"Oh, and if you need a large part of whatever the hell it is we're standing on obliterated, I could probably do that."
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Shut the fuck up Donnie, you're out of your element," Cthunkan notes, then thinks a moment. "Something moving deeper in there among the clusters. One of you, follow me. The other one sticks around and keeps an eye on the portal and incoming lights. Auron keeps doing what he does best."

Head for the tighter clusters cautiously (keeping at least one hand on the lattice at all times), watch out for other motion in the area.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:26:52 pm by Harry Baldman »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:09 pm »

Quote from: piecewise
[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

begin matter saving sections of a fractal arm we are not standing on and ejecting them into my pocket dimension.

Enough to build a life sized statue of a station wagon, all sourced from different sections of that arm.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:36:59 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Head towards the glowing bit, there must surely be something there that can be converted to the holy path of the crystals. Also, look over the place with enhanced eyes. Anything interesting?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:40:15 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 05:50:14 pm »

Technohell

"Okay, anyone have any ideas about how to get this shuttle upright? It's our ticket home, so let's get it hovering at least. "

"How's it holding up down there, Captain Lardass? You got it secure?"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:42 pm »

[TECHNOHELL]
((I assume an avatar would be clipped onto the bottom like assault suits))
"I reccomend that we all work together to slowly 'walk' the shuttle up and out of the shaft where I will take control of the shuttle and land us somewhere less stupid"
'Walk' with my teammates, one step at a time and slowly drag our sorry asses out of this vent, then once we are close enough to the top to fly out, take control of shuttle and fly us out of here.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:07:01 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 06:21:25 pm »

[TECHNOHELL]
I wait and trust in my teammates.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »

[TECHNOHELL]

Assist the other mechs in getting the ship going up, manually.

Look up with the suit eyes as the only teammate who can see upward to look for the top of this pipe.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:35 pm »

TECHNOHELL

Work together to slowly 'walk' the shuttle up and out of the shaft.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 02:17:12 am »

[Branching Fuckery]

Stay, guarding the portal. Try and get a better look at the stuff coming towards us, but keep scanning about too, keep all directions covered.

"If you need a massive section of this stuff destroyed, just say the word."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:39 pm »

BRANCHING FUCKERY
[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Shut the fuck up Donnie, you're out of your element," Cthunkan notes, then thinks a moment. "Something moving deeper in there among the clusters. One of you, follow me. The other one sticks around and keeps an eye on the portal and incoming lights. Auron keeps doing what he does best."

Head for the tighter clusters cautiously (keeping at least one hand on the lattice at all times), watch out for other motion in the area.
Quote from: piecewise
[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Enough to build a life sized statue of a station wagon, all sourced from different sections of that arm.
[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Head towards the glowing bit, there must surely be something there that can be converted to the holy path of the crystals. Also, look over the place with enhanced eyes. Anything interesting?

[Branching Fuckery]

Stay, guarding the portal. Try and get a better look at the stuff coming towards us, but keep scanning about too, keep all directions covered.

"If you need a massive section of this stuff destroyed, just say the word."
So...Auron there is taking big chunks from the fractal lattice so turns out you won't need to go see those clusters. The inhabitants of the clusters are now coming to you. There are very quickly moving ameboid blobs coming up along the lattice towards you like droplets of water running down a silk thread. There looks to be at least two dozen of them, more coming every second. Judging from their current rate of movement you have roughly 30 seconds till they reach you. Hard to say if they're just coming to repair or if they're coming to yell at you for shitting on their daughter and impregnating their lawn. 

TECHNOHELL

[TECHNOHELL]
((I assume an avatar would be clipped onto the bottom like assault suits))
"I reccomend that we all work together to slowly 'walk' the shuttle up and out of the shaft where I will take control of the shuttle and land us somewhere less stupid"
'Walk' with my teammates, one step at a time and slowly drag our sorry asses out of this vent, then once we are close enough to the top to fly out, take control of shuttle and fly us out of here.
[TECHNOHELL]
I wait and trust in my teammates.
[TECHNOHELL]

Assist the other mechs in getting the ship going up, manually.

Look up with the suit eyes as the only teammate who can see upward to look for the top of this pipe.

TECHNOHELL

Work together to slowly 'walk' the shuttle up and out of the shaft.
The combined might of the mechs manages to get the ship out of the shaft. It's touch and go for a minute there at the edge, but you get the ship out and wedged into one corner of the room. It's not big enough in here to really get the ship secure and away from the pit but you can at least get it mostly stable.  The room, now that you can see it, appears to be a 6 way junction. There room is a metal cube, with shafts running off of the 6 faces and into the great distance. There's quite warm air blowing up from the shaft the shuttle was wedged in and there's a noticeable airflow off into the other shafts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:50 pm »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

"Flank 'em, get to the glowing shit."

A ten second burst of Doctrine fire, or thereabouts. If that makes no real useful dent in their numbers, then use the corrosion black arranger round to remove a big chunk of the lattice they're climbing on.

If general plan if stealthy/am instructed to not do that, DON'T DO ABOVE, follow orders instead.

((Will be away for five days, auto me, feel free to use corrosion round or even gravpoint.))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:29 am »

[TECHNOVIKING]

"Okay, so which way do we go for the space loot, people?"

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 11:23:06 am »

[BRANCHING FUCKERY]

Fire the crystalline projector at them for surely they are here to convert to the church of the crystal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:48:34 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9