Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need to create a horrible evil monster and i need assistance  (Read 2470 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I'm planning a communtiy fort, but we need to build a prison. The ultimate prison. There can be no escape for this creature. Escape is not an option. If it gets out, we're dead.
So.
I need to build a horrible god thing which cannot be destroyed, can see without eyes because it's dozens of eyes are actually big toothy jaws, lots of tentacles, and if a dwarf goes near it they will go so mad that it is impossible for them to calm down. This needs to be the most horrible, evil thing ever created. If it gets out, the world is doomed. Of course we need to get it in there... I know! It can pretend to be a dwarf who comes here as a migrant, and we find it and unleash the beast. It cannot be killed. Prison is the only option.
Sooo... Any help?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need to create a horrible evil monster and i need assistance
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 02:22:16 pm »

[EXTRAVISION] will deal with the seeing without eyes thing.

I'm only just starting to actually figure out creature modding myself, so can't say I would be much help with the rest.

Cave-ins will kill it all the same though. So make sure you forbid that when you get the fort going.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:45:05 pm »

tbh i've made worse than the description, but that's partially because he's unkillable (even by cave-ins, due to dfhackery) and can teleport (due to dfhackery)

anyway

interactions can easily make peeps go mad now with erratic behavior and huge emotional things, so that's reasonably easy. Really, that's the only thing you need.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:21:34 pm »

Making a horrible abomination is simple, but a creature that needs to be contained but not killed... Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Perhaps I can take a few hours to whip up such a system.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:48:01 am »

Making a horrible abomination is simple, but a creature that needs to be contained but not killed... Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Perhaps I can take a few hours to whip up such a system.
Thank you. I am carp at modding.
Try to make it so that dwarves who come too close to it go mad and try to free this... Monster...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:52:28 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:40 am »

I'll try, though I have been very busy.  It may be a few days before I can find the time.  I probably shouldn't be taking on extra projects, heh...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:54:53 am »

I'll try, though I have been very busy.  It may be a few days before I can find the time.  I probably shouldn't be taking on extra projects, heh...
Thank you. You are a god. A 'diadh' in irish.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:08 pm »

The easiest way to force the 'fake immigrant' to reveal itself as the monster is probably a potion with a transformation syndrome.  You can lock up the suspect in your prison with a test apparatus workshop and a barrel, and have them make the potion.  The monster could be CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, or have such a warped view of the world that its attempts to be friendly are catastrophically destructive and lethal.

The physical form should be pretty easy to put together - it's mainly a matter of refining what you want it to look like.

I don't think it's possible to make something completely unkillable without dfhackery; tricks like cave-ins and obsidianization can pretty much kill anything.  But I can see several options for making it effectively unfightable.
1) It could be virtually immune to damage - more or less a slade colossus with details to give the desired flavor and a bunch of nasty interactions.  Any attack short of a cave-in will simply bounce off.
2) It could be reasonably easy to injure, but almost impossible to kill.  This might be less powerful, but creepier; it's one thing to stab a monster in the head and have your spear glance off every time, and something else to stab it through the brain and have it not care.
3) It could be theoretically feasible to kill, but so dangerous that any attempt to fight it would be catastrophic, and killing it might not even solve the problem.  Along with straightforward attacks and widespread madness, it might reanimate severed bits of itself and turn them into lesser monsters.  It could have an infectious bite or sting that transforms its victims, so that you kill one monster and end up creating several new ones.  Its blood could have any number of nasty syndromes, and might even make its victims equally toxic.
4) Of course, it could take a hybrid approach, drawing upon some combination of these methods.

I don't know if it's possible to make dwarves try to free it, but it should certainly be able to warp their minds so they attack each other at the slightest provocation or collapse from unendurable horror at the creature's sheer existence.

All in all, sounds like a fun project.  I'm certainly not a master modder, but I'm happy to help as best I can.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 03:00:44 pm »

The idea I have is to make it turn everyone in the fortress into a 'thrall' that is berserk forever by default, but also adds a temporary syndrome that removes the berserking.  In a nutshell, not only is it nearly unkillable by virtue of being really powerful, but if you do kill it through a cave in or something... everyone goes insane and kills each other.

Due to interaction weirdness, the only way to ensure it will use the temporary berserk-removal interaction is to make sure it is in combat mode.  Which means you will have to feed it living victims every once in a while, or everyone will go berserk anyway.

One side effect is that werecreatures who join the fortress will be tame, since the monster's effect will remove the berserk part of the transformation.  It is also possible to add beneficial effects to keeping such a monster.

So basically... you summon an evil monster that gives you beneficial effects (possibly using a transformation through drinking a potion), but it must be locked up because it attacks everyone who comes near, and if it is not kept alive and fed living sacrifices regularly, everyone dies.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:56:17 am »

Maybe not feed it stuff, but make it turn a dwarf randomly into a thrall every now and then if the fort gets boring. Much better...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:58 am »

The idea I have is to make it turn everyone in the fortress into a 'thrall' that is berserk forever by default, but also adds a temporary syndrome that removes the berserking.  In a nutshell, not only is it nearly unkillable by virtue of being really powerful, but if you do kill it through a cave in or something... everyone goes insane and kills each other.

tbh for something like this i'd just use DFHack to force a game over were this particular creature to die

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 04:02:31 am »

Using dfhack ruins the modding challenge.  Also it makes you wait whenever there is an update.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:18 am »

Kinda removes the whole "seeing induces madness" element, too.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 04:55:19 am »

Imf the monster dies, time itself goes back.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 05:31:17 am »

Kinda removes the whole "seeing induces madness" element, too.

Has anyone figured out how to use ERRATIC_BEHANVIOR and some FEEL_EMOTION stuff (maybe even CHANGE_PERSONALITY thrown in) for Syndrome induced "madness".

I haven't really messed with it yet, since I wasn't sure how to make it really work, but I thought that was the general idea behind it. Use it with SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED and it might be possible to make the effects more gradual.
Pages: [1] 2