Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why don't stationary instruments appear in the tavern as "stored".  (Read 1921 times)

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile

My stationary instruments don't seem to count as part of the required 5 instruments in a tavern or temple.  Do i need to have the stationary instrument placed BEFORE i designate the tavern?  I saw a lot of people asking why dwarfs don't seem to play the stationary instruments but nothing as to why they wouldn't "exist" after placement.  Deleting the meetimg area and replacing it didn't work but i was automatically given the same name (The Royal Mushroom!  so cool for a random name) so possibly it never really went tabula rosa.
Filthy Casual ftw

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The "5" isn't a required minimum, it's a maximum that will be stored in chests.  You can use it to help make sure your hand-held instruments get spread through various rooms in the fortress, but eventually you'll likely want more than 5.

Stationary instruments in the tavern work fine.  You just need to wait until they are playing a piece that uses that instrument.  Once you see a group performing something you can view one of their jobs to see all the instruments the piece uses.  They'll simulate anything they're missing, which is usually what I use as a signal to build it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:13:28 am by Mostali »

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile

If i build more different types will they get picked up by dwarves who will use them or left in the performance rooms?  i love all this new stuff but i have no idea about the specifics and the wiki is pretty vague.  the only thing that bugs me more than not being sure about the tavern/temples is all my dehydrated dwarves hanging in the fruit trees lately.  Thanks for my latest homemade christmas decoration idea Toady  :)
Filthy Casual ftw

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't seen anyone use an instrument outside of a tavern.  They're supposed to play in temples too, but maybe I've missed those.  I usually set the temple instruments to zero until I fill the tavern with a set, then cap the tavern supply so the next set goes to the temple.  I haven't ever kept track beyond that, but I don't think they get carried around like books and scroll do.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some residents steal instruments and stash them in their rooms, and that happens with books as well. They probably don't use them there, though.