Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: (SG) Bankruptcy: The Tale of a Demonic Enterprise  (Read 20244 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Bankruptcy: The Tale of a Demonic Enterprise
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 04:41:24 pm »

Maybe ask the dwarf what she is going to do with the soul, after all we can make it into a ghoul or wight and/or add fire elemental skills to it if we prepared it.  If we show that we want more souls but can add a service for it we might be able to convince her that we can help empower more creations with more powerful souls.

Offer the blacksmith wight to the orcs to help them make better weapons.  Maybe we can prepare the potion crafter as a ghoul also for them. 

Also offer them training in fire elemental magic if they just step in the summoning circle.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2016, 01:33:42 pm »

Maybe ask the dwarf what she is going to do with the soul, after all we can make it into a ghoul or wight and/or add fire elemental skills to it if we prepared it.  If we show that we want more souls but can add a service for it we might be able to convince her that we can help empower more creations with more powerful souls.

Offer the blacksmith wight to the orcs to help them make better weapons.  Maybe we can prepare the potion crafter as a ghoul also for them. 

Also offer them training in fire elemental magic if they just step in the summoning circle.
+1 to the first sentence, -1 to the bolded action.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »

Negotiation phase

A) You offer your blacksmith soul to the orc, but he politely declines, stating that he is no necromancer, barely a Hex Weaver of dubious skill, as you suspected. You then bring on the possibility of them hiring the Tentacle Demon, and you use the opportunity to call for him, and he comes moving the tentacles of his rear in a pseudo-tail motion. The orc is first perplexed, but then eagerly agrees to hire him. You can see a spark of glee on his face. You set a price of three souls per week of service for the main condition of the contract. As additional clauses, you impose that the Demon must be kept out of public sight except when directly working. Using your leverage and his trust, you also impose a clause that lets the Demon decide whether or not to participate in a fight, to take care of himself, and order your underling to never try to face an Inquisitor. Having concluded the negotiation, the Tentacle Demon is summoned into the mortal realm, and after various praises from the Chieftain, you offer them to do something with the soul they just gave you. The orc hastily negates the proposition, not only because he is no necromancer, but also because he doesn’t really want to do anything with that old hag any-more. You get the idea that these orcs maybe are not so stupid, and that the whole Augur business may have been a perfect opportunity to get rid of her. You will consider this during the next negotiations.

The Tentacle Demon is away with Chieftain Hill, who should give you three souls per week of service.

B) Deciding to be a nice gentledemon, you hand back the box with the soul to the dwarven girl. She thanks you profusely. You make use of the chance and the growing trust between you to ask her what does she intend to do with the soul of her father. She is surprised that you realized that it was her father's soul what she gave you, but quickly rationalizes it. You deal with souls, and as such you should be able to get a good read of them, she says. This time her eyes don't break into tears, and she informs you that she wants to keep it, for personal reasons. You press on saying that you could keep the soul of her father intact, while giving him a type of undeath she desires, and even suggest a ghoul, so that her father could be with her without shining like a wight would do. Gretha declines the offer right now, but informs you that she will think about it. With your current power, you could prepare the soul for ghoulhood if you fully dedicate four weeks to it.

Lost the soul of Gretha's father.

C) With Kathy, you pretend to be too busy for this conversation, and politely apologize saying that you have more important business to attend to. Kathy initially doesn't understand, as like most trained Dark Mages know, it is the head of a demonic organization the one who does business. But she has no time to ask you personally, as you let Penelope quickly step into sight. Her face changes dramatically as the usual apathetic stare you get from her is replaced with a warm smile, and widely opened bright blue eyes. She cheerfully opens the negotiation with Kathy by introducing herself, to which the human responds with a mild surprise, before realizing that the child she is speaking to is in fact a Sorrow's Daughter. Penelope deals with the customer with grace, prying some useful tidbits of information from her. Kathy appears to be in the relatively recently opened Western front of the war between the human Kingdom and the Goblins, and she has found the opportunity to do business and grow in strength by collecting the wounded and abandoned soldiers, and she intends to use their souls to reanimate powerful undead to hire as mercenaries to the Goblins. Penelope manages to sell those two warrior souls for six souls each, and you chime in to make the transaction yourself, before leaving again to attend to your supposed business. Kathy then puts two and two together and asks Penelope why her master only had two warrior souls in stock, if he is so busy with business. Penelope masterfully answers by stating that the war has brought a lot of demand for wight souls and that you are dealing with multiple orders at the same time, but that if she wishes for a long-term commercial relation, she could say beforehand how many souls and of which type should she like to buy from us next week. She agrees, and states that with the current state of things, she should be able to buy a couple more wight souls next week, and that she hopes that they could be warrior ones, stating that she is giving you some souls that should be passable combatants. With that in mind, Penelope says goodbye and the call is cut by the mortal.

Your Sorrow's Daughter states that it went better than she expected, and that this is a good opportunity to forge a profitable long-term relation, and that you will likely need more storage soon, unless you want your souls just laying around in your turf, exposed enough that any random demon or even a Dark Mage while prodding the multiverse could steal.

You take stock of the souls she gave you, and are disappointed to find that all to be of goblin and human conscripts, all of them recently pulled into the war and without mayor weapon skills.

+8 goblin slave souls.
+4 human conscript souls.

Spoiler: Clients (click to show/hide)

[...]

As you were reviewing you current stocks, you hear a noise near the demonic scrap lying around. Penelope gets up from her sitting spot and quietly rushes past a pile of scrap, and you soon find her running behind an imp about her size. The creature eventually gives up running in circles and attempts to turn around to ask for a truce, but Penelope interrupts him with a blinding blast of fire to the face, before jumping over him and pinning him down. The small horned creature covers his face while asking for forgiveness, but penelope presses on and asks him why he was spying. The imp claims that he was not, but your underling quickly cuts him up and produces a stream of fire from one of her fingertips, and then puts it dangerously close to one of the little demon's eyes. You wonder how such a cold-blooded creature as Penelope could be also such a kind and sweet being when she wants to, and then realize that she worked for a demon of emotion of some kind before getting in here, and as such she is good at faking feelings. The imp quickly breaks down, and states that he was sent down by Miltrikninita, your former master's competition, because he is curious about what happened here. The imp implores you not to eat him, and curls into a ball. The fellow is scrawny and ugly, even for an imp. You wonder what to do about him. You could obviously just eat him (not physically, but rather suck his energy), which should be equivalent of a single soul. You could also enslave the guy, and he will just change masters. He should know quite a lot about the state of Miltri's business, now that you think about it. Or you could use him to relay a message to Miltri, who has a bigger business and maybe could get sell you some demonic equipment, like the Soul Vaults you need to expand your business.

While pondering about what to do with him, you also consider what to do with your time this week:

Work phase:

Available AP: 30.

Available actions:

Soul processing: select soul to clean, type of undeath and what to leave attached to it. Souls not relevant to anybody are typically just left with their abilities, and their memories and personality are discarded.

Basic working times:
Scrap: 3 AP
Wight: 4 AP
Ghoul: 5 AP

Spoiler: Soul structure (click to show/hide)

Other actions:

Diplomatic meeting: 5 AP. Take a trip to meet with some demon you know, stating your business with him or her. During the travel, you will have to fend off petty demons, but probably nothing serious. Maximum two due to the time that it takes to physically go.
Exploration: 5 AP. Walk around the multiverse, looking for something useful, contacts, possible minions, anything. Results are random.

Decide what to do with both the imp and your time. Talking to your minions and roleplaying is free

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 02:39:34 pm »

Take the imp as a prisoner. Try to make a deal with Miltri: we'll return the imp to him and forgive him for his spying attempt if he pays us with two souls that have at least decent combat skills and experience.

Inform Chieftan Hill that we'd prefer warrior souls over commoner souls right now, although we'll still accept commoner souls as payment.

See if Miltri will trade us the secrets of Chimera creation for Spinescorcher. If Miltri accepts the trade, perform it and start stripping off and storing the personality layers of some goblin slave souls; if he doesn't accept it, use some magic user souls (and other souls with useful skills) to create some ability layer + motion core wights instead.

Which layer(s) contains the willpower of a soul?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:58 pm »

Oh deary me no. We haven't the power to fight off competition that could turn on us! Consume the little imp we need him DEAD. Unless you want a new master? We could probably strike such a deal.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

Take the imp as a prisoner. Try to make a deal with Miltri: we'll return the imp to him and forgive him for his spying attempt if he pays us with two souls that have at least decent combat skills and experience.

This will require a diplomatic meeting, costing 5 AP. You will leave Penelope taking care of the imp back in base.

Which layer(s) contains the willpower of a soul?

Will power is such a personal and complex concept that I'm going to put it into the personality layer.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 04:06:57 am »

Let's not trade a 150 soul weapon for some training, chimera are great but no one is even asking for it right now.

We should prep a wight soul since we have a market for it.

I was thinking the dwarven lass might want the axe actually if some kind of need for combat comes up for her combat golem, I am guessing large sized golems would be strong enough to wield it and if there was combat there might be enough souls to be worth it.

A dwarf might be able to pay us in mortal materials or enchanted gems or something instead of souls for part of the payment.

Question:  Can we consume the elementalist souls to gain skill?

If not, prep the fire elementalist soul to become a wight, leaving core and all abilities intact, after using 6 AP to prep 2 souls for scrap, goblins I guess.

Take over the imp to get info from it, otherwise keep it close for now.  We can eat or send it to give a message later.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 12:34:20 pm »

What if we trade the imp instead of the axe for the Chimera training?

I'd rather not make an enemy of Miltri by eating his spy. Plus, we don't really have very many secret things that we don't want getting out, so returning the imp to Miltri won't give him information that he could blackmail us with.

Why I want the Chimera training so badly (written in the first person to avoid confusion):

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:27 pm »

My understanding is a Chimera is simply a single soul modified to control multiple body parts put together into a monstrosity.  Combining souls is possible but way outside our skill set I think.

Giving the imp back is a sign of weakness, it's worth a single soul, if Miltri is powerful and wealthy then losing a soul for spying is just cost of doing that kind of thing.  The axe is worth an estimated 150 souls to sell or trade, by far our most valued if not useful assets.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:44 pm »

Question:  Can we consume the elementalist souls to gain skill?

No, it doens't work like that. What you do when consuming a soul is just gathering its energy.

Concensus seems to be on keeping the imp as prisoner right now. Do you still want to meet Miltri? Otherwise, you should give me something to spend those 30 AP on.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »

My understanding is a Chimera is simply a single soul modified to control multiple body parts put together into a monstrosity.  Combining souls is possible but way outside our skill set I think.

Giving the imp back is a sign of weakness, it's worth a single soul, if Miltri is powerful and wealthy then losing a soul for spying is just cost of doing that kind of thing.  The axe is worth an estimated 150 souls to sell or trade, by far our most valued if not useful assets.
What's Tomcost's opinion on this?

It's a sign of peace, representing our willingness to work with Miltri instead of against him.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2016, 07:27:41 pm »

What's Tomcost's opinion on this?

It's a sign of peace, representing our willingness to work with Miltri instead of against him.

Can't really say much on this, but I can say that harming someone's property is usually a sign of hostility, and that giving a stolen object back is a sign of goodwill.

The closest thing you know to combining souls is stripping off the abilities of one soul and putting it into another one. Demons are the ones made from combining multiple souls, but the skills to make demons are not those of a soul cleaner. And we would be talking in hundreds of souls to make something relevant.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2016, 07:53:44 pm »

ptw
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2016, 09:56:47 am »

PTW!!!!!

Holy carp yes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 10:43:54 am »

Work phase:

You interrogate the imp. He doesn't have a name, his master being too busy to name him, and besides, imps are unimportant. He doesn’t have any skills to speak of, and is relatively young lived. Imps are beings made to move between the multiverse, and sometimes do menial tasks that their masters don't want to do.

Regarding Miltri's business, the imp doesn’t know much, but can tell you some useful tidbits of information. The stock of souls of the Devil appears to be significantly larger than yours, surpassing the five hundred souls. Also, Miltri seem to have various underlings. He has a Greater Demon enforcer named Xrtalalamt, an Armor Fiend, a combat demon with a thick and durable armor coating. He is a stoic bodyguard, with a high sense of loyalty to the Devil, who is a long-time friend of his. Miltri also has various Executioners which he rents to mortals from time to time. The imp also claims that Miltri derives customers to some demon that owns a demonic forge, and gets a fee for doing so.

The imp claims that his master will probably kill him if he comes back, and that he would be willing to serve you. He just wants some protection. He says that he is small enough that he could sneak around the multiverse and maybe get you information of any demon you could get into your domain, although you would probably have to beat him into submission first.

Deciding not to meet Miltri right now, you get to do some work:

First, you clean the fire elementalist soul into a wight. It is an uninteresting work, the soul of this drow not being much interesting at all. The guy was relative to a noble, and died in some petty inheritance dispute. Mortal affairs tend to be quite repetitive sometimes.

You also scrap the souls of two goblin slaves, and just find those two souls to be utterly bland, with just a traumatic infancy living away from their biological parents, and then rushing to being poorly equipped conscripts and fodder.

Not knowing what to do with the rest of your time, you practice elementalism. This time you practice what is your weakness: Air Elementalism. It is a quite interesting concept, to be able to summon winds in a huge area around you. Even some of the debris lying around moves as you command the air. Another thing that you can do with Air elementalism is something called Habitation Control, which allows you to alter the temperature and pressure of the air around you. You guess that, while not skilled enough in it, you could keep a mortal alive with you if you fully dedicate yourself to doing so. But you doubt that it would be worth the effort right now.

+12 points in elementalism

You review the results of your deals with your customers:

Chieftain Hill has sent you 1 soul, which seems to belong to a human prostitute. It seems that the mercenary business is not going well. As the contract was not fulfilled on the mortal's part, the Tentacle Demon is now free to do what it wishes, but you hope that he will behave, and eventually find a way to come back to you.

+1 human prostitute soul.

And, sooner than you expected, you find yourself accosted again by customers:

Week 3:

Negotiation phase:

A) You are contacted by a polite human highborn, who asks you if you are doing any business with any member of the Skorn family. You can see that he is wearing the silver gown of the Inquisition, and he knows that you know, so he demands to know who you are dealing with, unless you want to end up like your former master.

Penelope is petrified, and it is the first time you have seen terror in that little angel-faced monster.

What do you do?

So, you finally rolled a 1, which serves as plot advancement.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9