Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I collapse an above ground construction that let's a Urist climb z+1?  (Read 979 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I collapse an above ground construction that let's a Urist climb z+1, and leave no construction behind?

So I have a 3x3 floored bunker, with 5x5 carved fortification all around.  It is z+1 high, and roofed.

side view: _ = floor,   F = fortification, # = wall
Code: [Select]
_____
FFFFF
_###_ 

Next, I want to construct a "way" to place a cage up there, link it to lever.
I also want to collapse this "way" via Support linked to a lever after I'm done.

The first thought is 1x bridge (on the z+1) supported by a floor, and a floor supported by a "Support (on the z+0)" linked to a lever.

But the problem is how to I get a dwarf up the z+1 where the stairs or ramp will collapse also?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why does it have to be collapsed by a lever? Can't you just build a stairway up the side and tear it down when you're done?

But I assume you have your reasons. The only way I can think of to make the entire thing collapse would be to drop it into a hole pit one level lower.
Akur Akir Akam!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

You need to avoid orthogonal link after you collapse the support.
Urist can travel diagonally.
With these, it is clear that the easiest way would be to build the support on a corner on 1 level beneath the ground, with orthogonal floors removed.

If you don't want to channel out the top level, then 1) be warned that a cave in is going to crash through a floor without wall underneath and 2) you will have to risk a dwarf with the cave-in.

Or perhaps use a tree for access, then shoot it down with ballista (might require several tries). 

PS: retracting bridges only need places to build them from, they are quite happy to float in mid-air otherwise.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh, yes a diagonal path to the stairs. 

Basically, I have a tower bunker, that I need to access from the outside via remove 1 fortification, so I can place a caged ranged/aoe monster.

Code: [Select]
side view. _=floor, F=fortification, W=wall,^=up ramp, b=bridge, x=stairs, S=support, h=hatch
   _____
   FFFFFbbbbbbbbb_x
_  _###_  _______.xh_
#^^#####^^#######^S^#

My goal was to put the monster in the bunker, and seal it forever, or until it's dead. 
I did not want to leave constructions that blocks line of sight to nearby targets.

I need stairs to go up z+1, and a path (bridge) to one of the Fortification to access the bunker.
After I am done, I need a fast way to deconstruct the bridge, and stairs with little cave-in deaths/injury.

So a Support (linked to a lever) can act as a floor for a constructed stairs. 
Now I would need a way to access the stairs in a way that when pull the lever, the support and stairs collapses without anchoring to a floor/wall. 

A hatch (or retracting bridge) will will not anchor the stairs, but can be used as path to go up the stairs.
So, the support has to be in the middle of a 3x3 pit in the z-1. 
The hatch (or 1x1 retracting bridge) can be in any tile on the z+0 to access the stairs on top of the support.

I think this will work.  Got to test it tonight.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you're going to seal it forever, maybe pitting the monster inside a some type of wall-ish tile* might let it attack while being immune to return fire as long as there isn't a floor for it to step to.

It might also block the outgoing attacks, though - I've yet to see anybody mention this at all when speaking of pillbox design.

*cast obsidian/ice wall without floor above? Permanently raised bridge? Window? I've had wagons on tree roots also leave such tiles.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When constructing a wall, b-C-w it creates a walkable floor tile above its z+1; after that, it can be carved into a fortification d-F. 

Whereas, when constructing a fortifcation, b-C-F it does not create a walkable floor tile above its z+1; so a creature can climb through it.

Whatever is insid the bunker can still be hit by projectiles from the outside.  But my best hope is that it's range / area of attack can do damage at least.

I am considering a raising bridge outside to act like a shutter, but that's more science for later when I get this going.
The issue with this is that I cannot put it (the bridge shutter) later without significant damage on trying to recapture it (if at all possible).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, fortifications, no matter how constructed, and doors are obviously useless for the purposes of guarding the pillboxed creature from enemy fire, given both will be open to bolts with creature inside them.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be dangerous against elite bowman, but should be acceptable defense vs less skilled range enemies.

My latest embark is planning Tower Defense: 7x7 bunker towers that are 20 tiles apart, with paths from underground.

It will take Urist to dodge through in order to die uselessly; or get sniped inside, haha