Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game of War - Current Game and Rule Discussion Thread [one more space left]  (Read 2583 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

I present to you the glorious Game of War.

Introduction

What's Game of War?
Game of War is an attempt to create a game that could simulate a conflict between two tribes, countries or even civilizations.
Was this attempt successful?
The game passed its first phase, it found interest, but will it pass the "it's playable and fun to play" stage it is yet to be known.

Rules

Turns:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Player Roles:

Actions:

Units:

Conflicts:

Buildings:

Cities:

Money:

Secret Moves:

The easiest way to understand the rules is to either play or watch a game.

So these are the rules. I'm sure there will be still some rule-changing. Suggestions and criticism welcome. On this thread we can also discuss the upcoming game.
Current game in-game thread.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:12:07 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Game of War - Current Game and Rule Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:05:04 am »

Are you guys still interested in playing the game
This is our map:
Map with cities:
Map without names:
Sorry guys if I have put a city in a wrong place and I'm sure the measurement is wrong but well...
If you are still interested than I'm getting the in-game thread ready.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:10:03 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:17:12 pm »

PTW.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:06:57 pm »

I'm still in.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »

Let me count who is still here:
TopHat [answered]
Ghazkull [answered]
tntey [answered]
Kashyyk [answered]

As Insanegame27 and Taricus haven't answered anybody who comes around can take their place. If they answer before being replaced they can still play.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:55:39 am »

Insanegame27 in. One more player space left

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:24:07 am »

New maps added and we started. One more space left but I wanted to start now before the thread grows old. If you want to join, join.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 04:53:11 am »

So to take a city we just move troops there?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:49 am »

So to take a city we just move troops there?
If the citizens don't want to fight and there are no troops there... Yes.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 08:02:37 am »

As I look at your teams planning I'm thinking that there will be too much stuff for doing a month planning in the first phase. What do you guys say if we change the first phase to an in-game week? A month would be possible if this was happening on the map of a continent where there is much more traveling not a map of a country.

Also: Did  everyone get the PM with the link to quick-chat?

Edit: Still looking for one more player
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:07:17 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

From now on the one week rule applies, so plan for a week. Also research costs 1 coin per month. You pay your troops also 0.5 per month but you also get money every month not week.
I was also thinking how should research work and I think that the research place will be known but what is being researched not.

I did not see Tntey yet, did you get the PM with Entente chat link?

Edit: If somebody is wondering why I didn't update the rules, it's because I'm currently gathering notes about the game and I will create Rules V2 after the game
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:48:48 pm by snow dwarf »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

What other units are available? So far we have seen infantry and armored cars, with another type being researched.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

What other units are available? So far we have seen infantry and armored cars, with another type being researched.
Almost anything used during World War I. Planes, Tanks, Other Kinds of Infantry troops etc. But everything must be researched.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:08:44 am by snow dwarf »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

The first phase ends in exactly 20 hours.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few questions:
1. Are we abstracting down to four weeks per month?
2. How long does it take to raise a unit?
3. Is there a limit to the number of units which can be created in each city per turn?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: [1] 2