Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change the world!  (Read 1220 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Change the world!
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »

Getting the world to come to you is pretty nice; there is extensive discussion on taverns, libraries, and temples.

I'm missing a discussion on changing the wider world, though...Out of the top of my head, things affecting other sites and civs:
  • Building bridges to connect, say, elven and goblin continents.

• Outfitting a minotaur with best armor dwarf can make, training them to legendary in all fitting stats and then sending them off the map edge by minecart space program.
  • Getting an angry dwarf to go berserk with failed mood and topple statues in temples, then releasing in taverns to convert the visitors*.

• Building a tavern chain and luring visitors from benign tropics to terrifying glaciers by well-timed retiring and making new fort nearby.
  • Establishing border forts between two warring civs.
  • Every fort in chain having at least 1 necromancer by book copying + migrant propagation from previous sites.

• Making a fort to naturalize exclusively elven visitors in a forested area, then provoking war with the elves to get them to conquer the site for new elven forest retreat.
  • The above, but with dying civ to give your dwarves a fair shot at ruling another civilization.

• Doing thin embarks around target outpost/fortress/necro tower, digging deep and retiring".
  • Killing and then giving to necro every fun minion from the deep, then retiring...near an elven forest retreat.
  • Restarting a dead civ after ThatAussieDwarf killed it and conquering the goblin age.

What other regional and global changes can you think of?
What have you tried and how big of a splash did you make?
How have you found it best to change the course of history?

I invite you to tell stories of you changing the world beyond a single 4x4 square :D !

* I wonder if you can make the world's first vampires/werewolves this way if you set vampire/werewolf numbers to 0 in worldgen?

" Hm, will they become ruins right away, or could you possibly get the migrants from hell in next fort?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:11:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Change the world!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:43:01 pm »

Well, Bastiongate exterminated nearly an entire goblin nation, so there's that. I also brought the world into the Age of Myth by killing all the titans, then brought it back into the Second Age of Legends with a roc breeding program.

Unfortunately a lot of the things you want to do are impossible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:52:09 pm »

That's pretty epic =) I was under the impression that dark fortresses with thousands of population would simply breed faster than you could slay sieges.

And aw :<. Which ones?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:03 pm »

Other than the usual creation of new dances and books and such, not much. I'm waiting patiently for the Economy Arc where we'll be able to affect the supplies present in the home civ. THEN we'll have the power to change the game for real.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

Looking over it again most are possible.
 - This actually works.
 - You can make armor for a minotaur, but you can't stick it on him, or launch him off the map.
 - This works, but you want a tantruming dwarf, not a berserk one.
 - This is unnecessary. No matter how hostile and shitty your fort is, as long as it's rich and has a tavern, visitors will come. Go and make your terrifying glacier fortress.
 - Possible, but you probably won't get the sieges you want.
 - Possible.
 - Go ahead, but that sound like an invitation for a loyalty cascade.
 - Possible.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »

I like stories of military campaigns like the fictional ones in The General series by David Drake and S.M. Stirling. I'd love to work my way up the ranks and command armies to build fortifications and settlements to wipe out enemy civs. Imagine it. You build a wall of surface forts to block off the frontier from enemies. Over the years settlements spring up to supply the soldiers there, and you're singlehandedly responsible for boosting the economy for centuries to come.

That's the kind of change I want. You can do it small scale now, but you won't be blocking anything off or affecting the home civ all that much with it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:20 pm »

I haven't been sieged yet so I'm not completely sure how they work in regards to further visitors, but come to think of it I wonder if you can keep capturing drive-by sieges to eventually build a new dark fortress where you are?

Build map-surrounding overseer-controlled raising and retracting bridges, then when the time comes put them in the cellar  :P
- This is unnecessary. No matter how hostile and shitty your fort is, as long as it's rich and has a tavern, visitors will come. Go and make your terrifying glacier fortress.
I thought visitors were mostly pulled from nearby locations, even if you were guaranteed to get at least 3, so getting someone stranded two hundred embark tiles from their home and then having to travel back over it wouldn't usually happen?

- You can make armor for a minotaur, but you can't stick it on him, or launch him off the map.
Aw. I might see if I can danger room him anyway; I noticed that a stray water buffalo managed to resist becoming kebab unlike the pets and babies. But I need a doomsday device to kill the fort if he can't leave the map alive.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:42:55 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:45:13 pm »

You can't tame those things so I doubt they are forced to stay,

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:12:56 am »

Can't go through thick enough walls :v

Though as far as designs go I've tested that visitors don't trigger pressure plates; whether they're set to pay attention to civilians too or not.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:25:12 am »

I actually did build a bridge connecting two landmasses and successfully introduced new civilizations to them. That was a fun build.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.