Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labyrinth Questions  (Read 1085 times)

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
Labyrinth Questions
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:13:05 pm »

So i'm making a labyrinth for captured enemies to try to escape. It has no dead ends so the AI won't easily path out.

I'm going to put Hostile animals in here and was wondering if they could activate pressure plates? Because i'm going to use pressure plates to have the doors open to get out so that it hopefully stops the hostile animals from getting out. And if they do, will they automatically path to the outside if they press the pressure plate? Can sentient creatures (Elves, Goblins, etc.) Press pressure plates? And if they do will they press them to get out? Or is it luck?

Also, is there a way to force dwarves to move an item to a specific stockpile? I want to make rooms that have armor and or weapons so the victims have a chance to get out. If not, is their any other way to get them into these rooms? And can the victims pick up dwarf forbidden items?

Finally, is their a more specific way or attracting minotaurs then just having lots of money?

EDIT: Can Humans/Goblins/Elves/ETC. Pick up equipment off dead bodies? (Can a Minotaur?)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:49:23 pm by sponge »
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:54 pm »

- You can control min/max weight for pressure plate activation, so ensuring the animals are either lighter or heavier than the trigger range would cause them not to trigger the plates.
- Noone in DF understands the relation between a triggered plate and an open door. To get a plate to be triggered there has to be a path over it, which then can be closed by triggering the plate.
- Most critters would probably try to path out to either dorf snacks or the map edge.
- If there is no path out any plate activation is random, based on random walking around.
- Building destroyer critters will path to doors to destroy them, and can thus be prompted to trigger a plate on the way to that door.

- Linking stockpiles so the target stockpiles "take" from the normal one(s) typically causes stuff to be moved.
- 'd'ump orders of items causes those items to be hauled (eventually) to a dump zone. If there are multiple zones the destination zone is sort of random in practice.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:37:57 pm »

- You can control min/max weight for pressure plate activation, so ensuring the animals are either lighter or heavier than the trigger range would cause them not to trigger the plates.
- Noone in DF understands the relation between a triggered plate and an open door. To get a plate to be triggered there has to be a path over it, which then can be closed by triggering the plate.
- Most critters would probably try to path out to either dorf snacks or the map edge.
- If there is no path out any plate activation is random, based on random walking around.
- Building destroyer critters will path to doors to destroy them, and can thus be prompted to trigger a plate on the way to that door.

- Linking stockpiles so the target stockpiles "take" from the normal one(s) typically causes stuff to be moved.
- 'd'ump orders of items causes those items to be hauled (eventually) to a dump zone. If there are multiple zones the destination zone
 is sort of random in practice.
If there is a door blocking the way out will the victims step on the pressure plate to get out?  Also how do you link stockpiles? And a new question, will goblins/humans/ect. grab better equipment off of dead bodies (Will the minotaur?)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:44:24 pm »

- As I said, no critters in DF understands relations between plates and pressure plate action, i.e. the answer is no (given the door is locked by the plate. A normal unlocked door is passed through as normal).
- In the settings for a stockpile there is an option to take from or give to another stockpile or workshop. Stockpiles are promiscuous and give/take to all, while liked workshops are locked to take/give to the stockpile(s) linked. A common mistake is to link the still to the plant stockpile and have booze production fail because no barrels are in any linked stockpile.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »

- As I said, no critters in DF understands relations between plates and pressure plate action, i.e. the answer is no (given the door is locked by the plate. A normal unlocked door is passed through as normal).
- In the settings for a stockpile there is an option to take from or give to another stockpile or workshop. Stockpiles are promiscuous and give/take to all, while liked workshops are locked to take/give to the stockpile(s) linked. A common mistake is to link the still to the plant stockpile and have booze production fail because no barrels are in any linked stockpile.
Ok thanks, that answers most of my questions! But just one more, can minotaurs open doors?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »

Since animals can, I see no reason minotaurs should not. They can't unlock locked doors, but I would expect them to be building destroyers, and thus would smash doors (check the wiki).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:59:38 pm »

It seems like labyrinth are made into some loop maze with the minotaur roaming in it, and using a raising bridge for exit. 

The victims are usually drop from above via pitting.