Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stressed out scholars  (Read 2479 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stressed out scholars
« on: May 13, 2016, 07:07:37 pm »

Why?

Why are the most stressed-out dwarfs and humans all scholars? Some common threads I see:

• Unable to acquire something for too long. What thing?? There's plenty of books, quires, food, drink.
  • Getting into arguments.
  • Boredom.
  • Lack of decent meals. What else is new? There's plenty of decent meals. Everyone complains about this.

Practically everything else that happened to these people is positive (green): feeling enjoyment while performing. Content after a soapy bath. Satisfied after reading and discussing. I chose these individuals for work in the library because of their thinking abilities and knowledge. Some of them asked to be scholars. They have written plenty of books. They're always busy being scholars.

Library has plenty of nice statues and engraved floors, though the rooms are a bit cramped. Almost all other dwarfs and visitors have negative stress. What's the scholars' problem?

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stressed out scholars
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:16:53 pm »

So I'm set Lorbam, the most stressed-out dwarf, to mashing some slurry. I figure some time outside the library will do her some good. As I'm watching her mash that rope reed all alone in the mill, every few seconds her stress ticks up a thousand! And I'm down to 15-20 fps! She's at 210000 now; in a couple minutes she'll explode. She feels vengeful when joining an existing conflict (x5). What conflict?

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »

It says she doesn't especially value hard work, but does value eloquence. So I'm taking her off slurry duty and making her a bard. Great, so when she finally goes berserk there'll be plenty of bystanders.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »

PTW. I want to hear about the emotional meltdown of Lorbam, Scholar-bard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:59 pm »

PTW. I want to hear about the emotional meltdown of Lorbam, Scholar-bard.

...and legendary Furnace Operator! She also "likes maces," so I drafted her in with my macedwarfs. She's currently depressed (256,000 stress).

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:06:42 pm »

At last, a breakthrough! "She is level-headed after fighting." Stress down to 255,000. Let's hope she stops looking for that thing. That thing!

I don't know how she'll last out there, disgusted by the sunshine, away from the fine tables and statues and seats she's often interested in.

Edit: 254,000
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:09:56 pm by PopTart »

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:15 pm »

How does a dwarf even get that stressed? I haven't had a temple or a library once in my current 5ish year-old fort (due to laziness and putting it off for the grand official one), and I don't thing anybody has gotten to positive stress once, let alone 210000

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »

At last, a breakthrough! "She is level-headed after fighting." Stress down to 255,000. Let's hope she stops looking for that thing. That thing!

I don't know how she'll last out there, disgusted by the sunshine, away from the fine tables and statues and seats she's often interested in.

Edit: 254,000

I made you a post it art.

I mean unless she finds it, of course.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 09:06:15 pm »

Haha yeah I shut down my tavern years ago due to recurrent death by booze. There's no need for it. Most dwarfs' stress is -99999. All bards and poets work at the temple.

How does a dwarf get stressed? I'm more and more convinced it's that thing they're reaching for.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:39 pm »

Omg! Post it art IS the best art

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:49 pm »

Got up to 267,000, then back to 262,000, then up to 266,000.

Lorbam is still vengeful after joining an existing conflict. She's been super interested about learning to dodge and strike. She loves her new steel armor and silver mace. She's drunk af.

Here's a clue as to her stress: she loves commerce. This facet is tied to being unable to acquire something for too long. I found here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157394.0 that it has to do with trinkets. So I'm gonna churn out more bone figurines and crowns, even though I have tons to spare. Gold ones too. She already feels pleasure about her new masterwork unicorn bone ring.

Although she easily cracks under pressure, she's still managing to keep it together.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:25:48 pm by PopTart »

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:24 pm »

This thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145476.15 says that the "conflicts" that are causing all this vengeance are with keas! Lorbam's been plagued with keas all this time! Still, that can't be all, because her problems persist even when she is underground.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:54 pm »

Clearly the scholars are greatly stressed by their more-complete understanding of the scale of the world and their own insignificance.

...Although I get pretty damn stressed having to deal with freakin' keas myself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 11:55:35 pm »

I dont get those stress levels, although it might have to do with the fact that I handpicked my scholars from things like enjoy. Including seemingly not minding new ideas and arguing.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 11:59:51 pm »

She's an accomplished musician, and I have a temple and a tavern now, each with tons of instruments. And yet, when I set her to work as a bard in each place, she does not play or sing. So now I have her building up a fresh skill in glassblowing. It seems to be working, even though she does not particularly value hard work. Perhaps I should have left her in the military, but had her train underground. I just don't like having the military train underground, and then show up sick when the goblins come.
Pages: [1] 2