Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lords of Larenza (a guerilla warfare RTD)  (Read 3180 times)

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Larenza (a guerilla warfare RTD)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:48:01 am »

Week 1, Month 1

News:
A short-lived hostage incident in the jungles of West Larenza has given new concern to the LAF authorities regarding the possibility of terrorist groups establishing their operations in Larenza. Several masked gunmen were spotted herding a small group of civilians into the woods by an LAF motorised patrol, but they were unable to chase the terrorists off before they murdered their captives. The motives of these criminals are unknown, but the generals have pledged to prevent such atrocities in the future. [+1 LAF Alertness]

State of Larenza:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LAF Activity:
The LAF are attempting to patch up their relations with the Concordat with the promise of looser trade restrictions for Concordat nations and a generous gift to certain Concordat monarchies.
[4] Nothing decisive has come of their efforts as of yet, but at least the Concordat assembly has stopped making disparaging remarks about the new Larenzan government. [+1 Concordat support]

Rebel Activity:
Order my troops, in disguise of course, to nail this proclamation/recruitment drive onto a nearby mining town's noticeboard, preferably one with a crime problem.
[1] While they were putting one of your posters up on the wall of someone's house in a nearby village, two of your men were accosted by an LAF patrol team that happened to be passing through. One of your men got away after a serious beating, but the other was taken into custody. Most of your posters were torn down by the marauding troopers, and it'll be another week yet before you see if what's left of your message got through to anyone.

First off, Lets see if the sawmill has any supplies we can use. If we can get it running again, we can establish a fort or at least some defenses and proper housing. I assign this task to the squad of farmers.
Meanwhile, my fellow soldiers have the wonderful yet dangerous job of scouting out the area for nearby villages or other establishments. I split the squad up into four groups of three, and send them off.
If I have any other knowledge of geography or items related to it, I attempt to locate the nearest border.

[4] The former proprietors of your base must've left in a hurry, because there's a wealth of power tools, construction materials and lumber lying around. Your team spends the week using some of them to patch up holes, establish defensive positions and hammer out little rooms for themselves, ensuring that you'll be able to withstand at least a short siege. Your guerillas even manage to uncover a rusty old transport truck, with a wide flatbed for hauling logs. It's out of gas, but it's a start.
[2] Your scout squad uncovers very little, save for the villages and logging buildings that you already knew existed. The recent shooting in the area has caused LAF patrols to spike in frequency, so it's more difficult for your men to move around.
[5] Thankfully, your knowledge of the area supersedes that of your operatives. You recall, in distinct detail, the presence of a border outpost less than six miles from your base, manned by both LAF troops and soldiers of the bordering nation of Bralisia, a much larger and more influential state and a close ally of the Federation. Larenzan and Bralisian relations have historically been very sour, so it wouldn't take much prodding of the hornet's nest to cause an international incident, and a knock-on effect on LAF/Federation relations.

Go to one of the two farming villages, in a vehicle if possible, with one squad. Get people's attention non-violently, then, once people are listening, make a speech and further comments, along the lines of:
Speech done, ask to speak with the elders/heads of the village. Ask them for recommendations on a man to run the farmhouse as cover for me. Then ask if they would like to make more money from their produce: do they make alcohol, or any other expensive or highly taxed good? Say that my men will do border runs for them, taking the risks, for a share of the profits.
Before I leave, tell my men to begin restoring the farmhouse: making it look more like a farmhouse. Not by nicking animals from nearby farms though.
Also (sorry, long action, just do part of it, I can do the rest next turn, if necessary), where is the nearest border, and which country is it?
[4] It's unlikely that your verbose speech was fully understood by the simple farmers that crowded around to listen, but it got a lot of them cheering all the same. A strapping Larenzan fellow strides up to the stage and firmly shakes your hand, gladly offering his family's services in restoring your base to an operable farm. Pleasant as the exchange was, however, there's no doubt that LAF sympathisers were present alongside the supportive peasantry, and LAF patrols in the region will likely have intensified by next week.
[4] The village elder happily lets you and your bodyguards into his home, and speaks at exhausting length of his own supposed connections to Larenzan nobility and how he feels about those darned commies and liberals. He's happy to co-operate when you suggest selling his village's produce across the border - the LAF practically steal his people's product, so he's eager to get money flowing through the community's hands again. He does, however, warn you that the LAF are bound to notice if he funnels too much grain your way, so the initial shipments will have to be kept compact until he can ensure that there's no suspicion.
[4] Many of your initial recruits were once farmers by trade, so it only takes them the rest of the week to restore the old wreck to a slightly more presentable farming shanty. The surrounding fields have been tilled and lightly seeded, and a nearby farmer was kind enough to volunteer a breeding pair of chickens to your cause. By the end of the week, your family of volunteer farmers have made themselves at home, and your team of guerillas are planning out their grain-smuggling routes. A vehicle or two, you figure, would be extremely helpful at this point.

Send the first group disguised as the normal Larenza to create a recruitment network in the port cities, find weakpoints, and how many soldiers are stationed in the cities.
Split the second group into 2 groups called the "Krangs" and "Lardens", the Krangs will move to meet with the mafia for supplies.
We will then wait to see if the stationed soldiers here move.

[4] Your squad of six freedom fighters don their former farming rags and establish themselves temporarily in the nearby city of Old Portios, a historical harbour that is now seldom used by international shipping or LAF patrol vessels. There's little military presence to speak of, save for a motorised patrol that passes through the main street around noon every day. Intelligence on the nation's ports is still pending, but this one makes a good jumping-off point for your team of recruiters. They inform you that you should see a few disparate locals streaming into your faction by next week.
[4] The 'Krangs', a band of three guerillas, are now trying to make inroads with the local branches of Larenza's organised crime rings. Between the high demand for banned goods and the willingness of LAF officials to accept bribes, organised crime has spiked since the junta's rise to power, and it isn't hard for your men to find a contact. The local smuggling faction, the Clawhammers, express interest in establishing a contract with you. In return for your support, if and when it's needed, they promise to equip your next two squads of new recruits with whatever they can get their hands on.
[N/A] The LAF's established patrol pattern through Old Portios shows no signs of deviation throughout the week that your men are stationed there.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:08:21 am »

Go across the nearest border myself, with the intention of finding a buyer, along with one squad. If the journey proves too long for me return to Larenza within the week, send my men to find a contact and return.

Install the rest of the troops, armed, in the houses and fields of friendly villagers, on the shortest and most likely vehicle route between the two nearby villages.

Ask a villager whom I trust (the elder, or preferably a close friend) to tell the LAF patrols that the rebel base is in the nearby village which I have not visited, claiming that that village is mostly friendly to the rebels.

If the LAF sends men in a vehicle to investigate, in numbers which my squad could reasonably take down, have them attack after blocking the road with a herd of cattle, when the LAF men are on the way back. The priority is to capture the vehicle.

If possible, have my squad launch the ambush closer to the non-friendly village, to remove suspiscion from my supporters.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:12:55 am »

I send a squad, half deserters, half farmers, to establish a presence as a millita force for the nearest village. I am sure that the LAF will not object to a couple civilians and former soldiers taking up arms to defend their homes against terrorists. Besides, we can use it as a recruiting tool. This movement will be hereby referred to as the Larenzan Irregulars.
The remaining half squad of farmers will hold down the fort and maybe do some logging while I and my half squad of fellow soldiers cross the border to bralisian turf. If we can make contact and start some trade of any sort, we can start making bigger moves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:14:40 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:33:55 am »

Troubling. A man in custody is a bad sign indeed. And with our other failures we simply can't risk this movement.
The majority of men will train in the complex. When they are soldiers and not fools, they will launch a skirmish against a bandit gang.
The soldier who got away with only a serious beating, who clearly was the smarter of the group, will infilitrate the place where the captive is being held. They will give the captive a pistol. If they break out of there, welcome them back into the fold. If they shoot themselves, praise their sacrifice.
But do not allow them the chance to confess.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:09 pm »

"A good start to the cause, continue with the plans!"

Accept the Clawhammer's contract and send the Krangs to find another Mafia group that are willing to bribe the soldiers that come through Old Portios so they wont report to the LAF what goes on in Old Portios.

Expand the recruitment network to the nearest port city beside Old Portios, and begin working with traders at the ports to trade with the Eastern Union and send 1 of my men with the trader to negotiate with the Eastern Union.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 02:05:47 pm »

Week 2, Month 1

News:
Brave Larenzan citizens in the west of the nation have taken their security into their own hands following the recent terrorist attack. Dubbing themselves the 'Larenzan Irregulars', this team of armed civilians have pledged to protect their homes and their neighbours from guerilla aggression in the region. Local LAF forces are reportedly happy for the assistance from the loyal citizenry during their operations in the area, and the nation's leaders have publicly commended the initiative and bravery of the people living under them.

State of Larenza:

LAF Activity:
Following last week's terrorist attack in the west, the LAF have instigated a small-scale search-and-destroy mission on the outskirts of their patrol zones in the area. The humming rotors of the LAF's airborne brigades can be heard for much of the week as they pay unfriendly visits to outlying villages.
[2] Fortunately for Larenzan Republic operatives in the area, these raids achieve nothing other than riling up the townspeople and disrupting local business. After an incident in which a civilian truck was disabled by gunship fire, severely injuring the driver, the entire operation is called off.

Rebel Activity:
Go across the nearest border myself, with the intention of finding a buyer, along with one squad. If the journey proves too long for me return to Larenza within the week, send my men to find a contact and return.
Install the rest of the troops, armed, in the houses and fields of friendly villagers, on the shortest and most likely vehicle route between the two nearby villages. Ask a villager whom I trust (the elder, or preferably a close friend) to tell the LAF patrols that the rebel base is in the nearby village which I have not visited, claiming that that village is mostly friendly to the rebels.
If the LAF sends men in a vehicle to investigate, in numbers which my squad could reasonably take down, have them attack after blocking the road with a herd of cattle, when the LAF men are on the way back. The priority is to capture the vehicle. If possible, have my squad launch the ambush closer to the non-friendly village, to remove suspiscion from my supporters.

[1] You lead your squad to and fro around the Larenzan countryside, brushing perilously close to LAF patrol teams and eventually getting hopelessly lost somewhere near the border with Farago. Or is it Bralisia? You can't tell. Either way, you get sent back the way you came after an LAF border patrol squad stumbles upon you drawing a crude map in the dirt. You lose one soldier in the ensuing close-quarters firefight, and you and two others sustain light wounds in the retreat. It takes you the rest of the week to limp back home.
[5] Fortunately, the envoys you dispatched before leaving have much more luck. The local farmers are still quite happy to co-operate with your militia, and several houses along the main road between your favoured village and the other one temporarily become observation posts for your men. After assurance from the village elder that an 'anonymous tip' will find its way to the desk of the local LAF garrison commander, your troops are set to stage their ambush.
[5] On the sixth morning of the week, your gang's patience pays off. Your sentries track a motorised squad of LAF troopers making their way along the road, presumably on their way to shake down the village your friend pointed them towards. It's noon by the time they start returning. At a convergent point between three small shacks that your men are installed in, a brave farmer herds his cattle across the road, forcing the LAF truck to stop. The driver's complaints are almost instantly drowned out by gunfire as your hidden soldiers launch their ambush, riddling the truck's cabin and awning with bullets. By the time their magazines are empty, nothing inside the truck is moving - and, miraculously, none of the cattle were hurt in the firefight. A brief inspection suggests that the vehicle is only superficially damaged, and by the time you find your way home after your ill-fated exodus, it sits parked in a small, dilapidated barn just outside your base.

I send a squad, half deserters, half farmers, to establish a presence as a millita force for the nearest village. I am sure that the LAF will not object to a couple civilians and former soldiers taking up arms to defend their homes against terrorists. Besides, we can use it as a recruiting tool. This movement will be hereby referred to as the Larenzan Irregulars.
The remaining half squad of farmers will hold down the fort and maybe do some logging while I and my half squad of fellow soldiers cross the border to bralisian turf. If we can make contact and start some trade of any sort, we can start making bigger moves.

[6] You figure that if you don't want your troops to immediately get arrested for this venture, it'll take some sort of agreement with the enemy - to that end, you pay a diplomatic visit to the LAF garrison office in the regional capital. It takes some serious diplomatic gymnastics to convince the local LAF battalion commander that your intentions are good in setting up the 'Larenzan Irregulars', but after the recent failure of LAF search-and-destroy operations in the area, he's in a difficult position, and you manage to convince him that small bands of locals will serve as far better protection than heavy-handed LAF sweeps. He reluctantly agrees not to question where you got your armaments from, but in return, he expects results. He stipulates, under no uncertain terms, that his forces expect full co-operation from your irregulars, and that failure to prove that your group is actually stopping terrorist activity in the area will result in your agreement being voided.
[4] It's a change of pace for your remaining troopers, most of whom were expecting a more exciting life when they joined your faction, but they soon work out how to bring some of the sawmill's rusty old machines back online. By the end of the week, you've got a tidy assortment of logs, planks and lumber ready to be sold off to local business and beyond - if only you had some gas for that truck, then you'd be able to shift it.
[5] Your clandestine border crossing goes far more smoothly than that of your northern rivals. In a quiet border town close to your crossing, you find exactly what you're looking for. An indepentent Bralisian businessman living in the village is eager for cheap lumber to supply his enterprise - he'll even transport it himself if it means getting it at the rate you're charging, which he claims is practically theft compared to inflated Bralisian prices. He makes it clear that he has all the necessary legal papers, and you entrust him with a location along the road near your headquarters where he'll be able to deal with your compatriots and pick up your product. The deal is signed, and you're expecting your first payment from your new business partner by the start of next week.

The majority of men will train in the complex. When they are soldiers and not fools, they will launch a skirmish against a bandit gang.
The soldier who got away with only a serious beating, who clearly was the smarter of the group, will infilitrate the place where the captive is being held. They will give the captive a pistol. If they break out of there, welcome them back into the fold. If they shoot themselves, praise their sacrifice. But do not allow them the chance to confess.

[2] Eager as your men are to become real guerillas, their aptitude lags far behind their enthusiasm. The week is punctuated by shouting, frustration and drill as you try to force your disparate gang to perform, but by the seventh day, it's clear that you're only wasting time and effort. Even if there were any independent gangs of miscreants that the LAF hadn't cleaned up yet, your motley crew wouldn't be able to take them on safely.
[5] The only stand-out competent members of your gang prove to be the ones who failed you so early on. Using her knowledge of the local area, the guerilla who narrowly evaded capture last week manages to triangulate the location of the LAF outpost where her comrade is being held. After a night of quiet observation, she ascertains that her compatriot is being kept in a disused shed next to the pre-fabricated LAF barracks containing his sleeping captors. Approaching through a nearby patch of overgrown vegetation, she silently vaults the sandbag walls of the outpost and slips the revolver you entrusted her with under the shed's rotten old planks. After a tense couple of seconds, the prisoner boots the shed door open and skilfully dispatches the sole LAF sentry keeping an eye on his cell. The duo make their escape as the small base erupts into panicked shouting, arriving back at the mine exhausted, but galvanised by their success.

Accept the Clawhammer's contract and send the Krangs to find another Mafia group that are willing to bribe the soldiers that come through Old Portios so they wont report to the LAF what goes on in Old Portios.
Expand the recruitment network to the nearest port city beside Old Portios, and begin working with traders at the ports to trade with the Eastern Union and send 1 of my men with the trader to negotiate with the Eastern Union.
[4] The Clawhammers claim to be the local arms smuggling experts, and the first few sets of rifles and magazines that pass into your soldiers' hands certainly add levity to the claim. Many of the guns are worn surplus models, veterans of Concordat colonial wars and Federation and Union skirmishes alike, but they work as well as you need them to. Between your modest recruitment efforts and the assistance of the smugglers, you now have enough new men to fill half of a six-man squad. Your Krangs enjoy little success in finding contacts from other groups in the city, but they do learn that a local patrol commander - a Lieutenant Garcez - owes money to someone dangerous, and is looking for a quick bribe to settle his books. You figure that he'd happily overlook your operations in Old Portios in return for some funds. Those funds, however, would require liquidating much of your surplus weapon stock to obtain.
[6] You divert your newly-recruited troopers to basic training operations at your base, enabling you to relieve some of your more experienced men of their garrison duty. Tasked with expanding your operations, they manage to infiltrate the vital port city of Rossine, a trading hub with a highway link directly to San Sarunal. Your single trading envoy, the most charismatic and learned of your soldiers, befriends a washed-up old trawler captain with a thick Union accent and a desperate need for something to revitalise his failing freight business. Your operative's smooth talk and tall promises instantly woo the senior socialist sailor, and he excitedly tells you where he's docked and that he'll happily pay you for whatever you can give him, provided you can deliver it within the next two weeks - that's when he leaves for the Union. You even get half of the cash up-front - this'll be enough to pay that crooked lieutenant, for sure. The only question remaining is... what exactly are you going to sell to the old man?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 02:37:49 pm »

Find a potential Doctor that is willing to join the Drakieng Brotherhood's cause.

Send the Krang's on a mission to find abandoned warehouses and buildings that could possibly have some merchandise or anything valuable to sell to the Eastern Union, 3 of the new recruits will search our hideout for anything of value.

I will go to Rossine disguised as a sailor and go to the local bar to learn of anything going on and scout out the stationed soldiers here, my disguised name will be "Kevin Tyro".

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:52:37 pm by Atian the Elephantman God »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »

Have the Irregulars begin recruiting and searching for signs of the group who launched the first terrorist attack. If we get any leads, I and my halfsquad of soldiers will begin following up on it.
Meanwhile, back at base, have the halfsquad of workmen deal with the lumber and search for an arms dealer.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »

Disguise the bullet-holes and marks of theft on the truck. Take the LAF uniforms and weapons. Take one squad to the border again, tell half to set up a base near there.

Then go across the border with the other half of the squad, looking for a contact to sell to. Also, investigate the possibilities in smuggling goods into Larenza, once I have established a connection.

Tell the other squad to go to the neighbouring village, and give them the same narrative as the first, but misinform them as to the whereabouts of our base, telling them not to visit it. Only mention the smuggling to an agreeable village elder.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 06:03:54 pm »

It seems quality over quantity is what we need here. Send most of the gang to work as guards, patrolling the complex and its surroundings. Hopefully they won't fail at that as well.
The two guerillas are heaped with praise and left to rest a while. They earned it, though they're expected to keep training.
The two who failed the least at the training course can receive more training. Perhaps, with some work, they can become the B-Team.
Send a fruit basket to the farmer injured by the LAF. The poor man! I can only hope he lives.
... In all seriousness, use his injury as a rallying point. Send out letters to various newspapers complaining of how the LAF injures farmers and trods all over land while terrorists in the western province rain terror and destruction down on the people.  Also write to troops in the western province posing as the mothers and fathers of those poor people who were executed by terrorists on this day three weeks ago. How can the troops live with themselves knowing that they failed to protect their fellow citizens?
That should chip away at morale.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »

Week 3, Month 1

News:
The week has been quiet on the national scale, with no major issues to report.

State of Larenza:

LAF Activity:
In response to lost assets in the northern and southern sectors of the country, the LAF have kicked off a new wave of propagana to help counter seditionist sentiment that could eventually lead to further guerilla activity. Patriotic radio broadcasts and LAF recruitment posters quickly become commonplace in the nation's population centres, encouraging the people to reject rebel influence and to report suspicious activity in their area.
[5] Whether through fear, necessity or genuine agreement with the junta's aims, the citizens respond amicably to the state's suggestions. LAF recruitment swells over the course of the week, and more townsfolk are turning to the military for support rather than the rebel factions. Guerilla recruitment this week may suffer considerably as a result.

Rebel Activity:
Find a potential Doctor that is willing to join the Drakieng Brotherhood's cause.
Send the Krang's on a mission to find abandoned warehouses and buildings that could possibly have some merchandise or anything valuable to sell to the Eastern Union, 3 of the new recruits will search our hideout for anything of value.
I will go to Rossine disguised as a sailor and go to the local bar to learn of anything going on and scout out the stationed soldiers here, my disguised name will be "Kevin Tyro".
[6] It takes you surprisingly little time to run upon the professional that you're seeking. He's a qualified surgeon, he doesn't ask questions and he does house calls - he's everything your movement needs, so you're understandably a little disappointed when he tells you that he's not interested in joining you full-time. However, for this week only - and for a considerable fee - his services are yours.
[5] The nation's export economy has withered under the chafing restrictions put in place by the state, so even the most successful port cities are lined with the detritus of failed business ventures. It doesn't take your boys and girls long to get their hands on some choice export goods that the debt collectors haven't gotten around to yet, but without any vehicles to load their finds onto, it takes them most of the week to get it all to the Union trader's ship. Nevertheless, your client is ecstatic, and the entire deal passed right under the nose of the LAF authorities. By the seventh day of the week, the cash you were promised is in your hands - along with a cheerful note from the old captain telling you he'll put a kind word in for you with his 'official' Union contacts.
[1] It's fortunate indeed that you have that cash to soften the shame of the results of your personal venture into the city. You haven't sailed a day in your life, and it really shows when you try to mingle with seasoned LAF seamen and merchant mariners alike in the rowdy portside taverns of Rossine. You spend much of the week annoying the real sailors with your mis-used maritime lingo and barely avoiding getting your nose broken after blundering into the wrong bars. Your crowning misadventure occurs when you attempt to chug an entire pint of grog in an attempt to impress your fellow bar patrons, only to find out that the pint you necked belonged to a particularly pugilistic LAF ensign. Him and his gang of military cronies made sure that 'Kevin Tyro' won't dare to show his battered face in Rossine again, if he knows what's good for him.

Have the Irregulars begin recruiting and searching for signs of the group who launched the first terrorist attack. If we get any leads, I and my halfsquad of soldiers will begin following up on it.
Meanwhile, back at base, have the halfsquad of workmen deal with the lumber and search for an arms dealer.

[2] The local LAF detachment are understandably reluctant to share intel with a bunch of vigilantes. Polite queries towards local sergeants are frequently met with two-word replies that end in 'off'. Despite spending all week testing the local garrison's patience and conducting some ineffective recon of your own, you're left with nothing to follow up on. Furthermore, the LAF propaganda spreading in the area this week has dampened your recruitment abilities to nil - after all, with such a 'versatile' and 'capable' military watching over the people, who needs vigilantes?
[1] One of the soldiers assigned to processing duty saw fit to leave a raw recruit to tend an automated saw machine in the middle of your base, while he went off for a smoke. It was a mistake that ended in disaster, as the recruit's attempt to feed more logs to the machine ended in a tragic accident, a broken saw and a lot of cleaning-up. Besides losing a soldier, you'll now have difficulty meeting the quota you agreed upon with your business partner - and your low prices can only buy so much of his patience.

Disguise the bullet-holes and marks of theft on the truck. Take the LAF uniforms and weapons. Take one squad to the border again, tell half to set up a base near there.
Then go across the border with the other half of the squad, looking for a contact to sell to. Also, investigate the possibilities in smuggling goods into Larenza, once I have established a connection.
Tell the other squad to go to the neighbouring village, and give them the same narrative as the first, but misinform them as to the whereabouts of our base, telling them not to visit it. Only mention the smuggling to an agreeable village elder.

[4] A little (rather, a lot of) spot-welding and extra paint has the LAF truck looking almost-presentable again within a couple of days. Most of the uniforms are ruined, but your guerillas manage to salvage just enough of them to create a squad of less-than-convincing LAF impersonators, complete with slightly bloodstained rifles. The disguises will easily fool civilians and raw LAF recruits, but more seasoned troopers will probably pick up on your squad's illegitimacy if given the chance. Nevertheless, by the end of the week, you have a fire-team-sized band of disguised guerillas successfully operating a fake observation post a mile away from the northern border with Farago.
[6] Fate must feel indebted to you after your exceptionally poor fortune last week, as this time, your crossing goes off without a single hitch. The local Faragans pick up on your heritage quickly, and you spend a couple of days in your mother country enjoying drinks and boring your Larenzan squad-mates with your nation's illustrious history - minus the parts about how the communists took over, of course. It takes you little effort to befriend a local 'dealer of exotic goods' who agrees to trade your grain for his 'special stock' after a round of exquisite Faragan ale. It isn't until late in the seventh day, when a sickly-looking Faragan boy carrying an oversized backpack arrives at your fake LAF watchpost, that you find out you're now in the drug-smuggling business.
[1] While you were on a business vacation in your homeland, your valiant troopers made a fine effort at accidentally undoing all the goodwill you've fostered in your locale over the past fortnight. They just aren't gifted with the same oration skills as their commander, and it really shows when a mob of angry, LAF-sympathising peasants chase them out of the village they attempted to bring over to your side. A mixture of this week's LAF propaganda, your soldiers' ineptitude and plain bad luck sees your support in the region shaken, with even the once-loyal town you get your grain from now questioning if they've thrown in with the right lot. Some quick damage control will be needed to restore faith in your faction.

The two who failed the least at the training course can receive more training. Perhaps, with some work, they can become the B-Team.
Send a fruit basket to the farmer injured by the LAF. The poor man! I can only hope he lives... In all seriousness, use his injury as a rallying point. Send out letters to various newspapers complaining of how the LAF injures farmers and trods all over land while terrorists in the western province rain terror and destruction down on the people. 
Also write to troops in the western province posing as the mothers and fathers of those poor people who were executed by terrorists on this day three weeks ago. How can the troops live with themselves knowing that they failed to protect their fellow citizens?

[4] You manage to separate the wheat of your forces from the chaff by concentrating your efforts on those that seem the most receptive to being taught. During an outdoor exercise, a particularly impressive display by your two trainees catches the attention of a passer-by, who expresses enthusiastically how awed he is by your soldiers' skill. Through a slight accent, he explains that he's been looking for a productive outlet for his hatred for the LAF for a while now, and one handshake later, he's formally a member of your militia - and a damn good one, too, judging by how he handles a rifle. You must've really struck lucky with this guy...
[5] Your counter-propaganda reaches the eyes and ears of the people almost as aptly as the rubbish being spewed by the government this week. Few papers dare to bring up your letter in their publications due to encroaching censorship standards, but those that do choose to publish the truth see a spike in sales as the people grow angry at the LAF's recklessness. A few particularly inspired folks, driven desperate by your fiery criticism of the situation, eventually trickle down to your base and sign themselves up, swelling your ranks to two and a half squads in total.
[3] The same tactic has a less profound affect on the soldiers of the state, many of whom have already accepted the junta's version of events as gospel. If you did manage to cause any discord within the LAF's ranks, it's been covered up well - though, you can't help but notice that the LAF patrols you spy through your binoculars seem that little bit less gung-ho all of a sudden...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:48:44 pm by CubeJackal »

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »

(Side note: Sending a letter to another faction counts as a 'free' action that doesn't take a roll and can happen between turns, but I will ask that you send any private correspondence intended for another faction to me and allow me to route it to them, just so I can stay on top of the game state.)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:23 pm »

I feel bad for my own face.

Bribe Lieutenant Garcez and make sure he doesn't say anything.

Add 2 recruits to the Lardens and send them on a little mission to find any sort of transportation in Old Portios.

3 Recruits will form the "Gunthers" they are going to look through more warehouses and buildings for our Employer and anything of use to us.

The Krangs will go inland and find anymore Mobs willing to make negotiations.

I will check the remaining Recruits for any with a talent that may come in handy and check on how the Recruiting Network is faring.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:47:48 pm by Atian the Elephantman God »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 03:58:36 am »

Apologise profusely upon my return to the villagers. Explain in  private to the village elder what my plans are, and that I have allies in Farago now. Tell him he can have the money once exchanged for drugs in a more central city.

Have one squad continue with the grain operation, if the farmers are willing to risk any more.

Have half a squad (or just three or four men), with one or two arms and goods hidden under a cart of vegetables, on a market day, go into San Sarunal. Have them find a drug dealer/buyer for our goods. What is the San Sarunal drug market like?

Have the other half of the squad go to ground with the farmer population, helping them with the harvest or something, or discreetly punishing local ruffians or scapegoats, to raise goodwill with the villagers.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 06:41:37 am »

Give the poor sod who died a proper burial, unless their family want the remains returned to them. Carelessness will find no clemency in this place.
After Grave matters are dealt with, find some way to fix the saw, and get the quota back up to speed. Income is important here.
Finally, continue the search for the terrorists, LAF help or not..
Pages: 1 [2] 3