Poll

What do you use to play DF?

A 64-bit comp
- 233 (96.3%)
A 32-bit comp
- 9 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 241

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DF Players' Computers - Polling on 32/64 Bitness  (Read 14119 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Players' Computers - Polling on 32/64 Bitness
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 03:07:41 pm »

Well, I for one would love to kick the last 32 bit libs off my system. It will feel good, like going to a site that hasn't gotten the memo and sits there plaintively asking me to make sure flash is up to date... hah! Never again baby.

I'm sure there are a tiny tiny handful of people still using a 32 bit OS who overlap the little portion of people using linux and who are aware they could upgrade but don't because of some weird sort of concatenation of dependencies that is--as hard to believe as it seems given how transparent 64 bit compat layers are--enough of a reason for them to stick it out and there is probably a small portion of them who have actually tried to get it working before deciding that it was either (somehow) more of a hassle, or they just got tired/sick/frustrated with it and went back to what they've been using.

I remain skeptical that this overlap of overlap of overlapping unmagisteria actually encloses an entire person, much less several, much less enough to make it an important enough factor to consider--briefly--if it would be worth it to hold off on moving to a new architecture for a game like DF.

I'm curious what the overlap with stuff like gentoovians and slackers and such are, now...

I can sympathize with wanting to keep a smaller footprint for your VM when testing windows stuff, I had to use a VM layer for my proctored testing software (which amused the hell out of me the entire time) because the software itself was windows only, and yeah even 7 could get hoggish in a VM.

I was also very happy to get that crap, even in a sterile contained VM form, off my system. Filthy habit really, gateway to stuff like facebook and tablet games addiction, and from there the hard stuff: crack.

Where was I, oh yeah, VM testing footprints are a thing, but again not a strong vote in favor of 32 bit support.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:15 am »

The last 32-bit-only CPU I used (and ran DF on!) was my eee901. It was stolen a bit over 2 years ago, but it ran ok for small (2x2 embark, reduced layers, low pop cap) games. I have used a 64-bit OS on my main PC since about 2005.

It's highly likely that anyone still using a 32-bit system will be playing DF without turning as much as possible down/off. I don't think it would be unreasonable to drop support at this point, and also drop the "legacy" build. A good compromise if people are insistent might be to keep a 32-bit/legacy and 64-bit/SDL as the two builds for Windows?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »

I can sympathize with wanting to keep a smaller footprint for your VM when testing windows stuff, I had to use a VM layer for my proctored testing software (which amused the hell out of me the entire time) because the software itself was windows only, and yeah even 7 could get hoggish in a VM.

I was also very happy to get that crap, even in a sterile contained VM form, off my system. Filthy habit really, gateway to stuff like facebook and tablet games addiction, and from there the hard stuff: crack.

Where was I, oh yeah, VM testing footprints are a thing, but again not a strong vote in favor of 32 bit support.

Who are all your VM-related comments directed to?  I don't really understand your point.

I'm the only one who mentioned VMs in this thread and no one has mentioned Windows VMs or "VM testing".  I have a 32-bit Linux VM, on a 64-bit host.  That VM is dedicated to DF and as I said, I am ready to switch it over to 64-bit Linux, when DF is 64-bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:31 pm »

Mifki?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 01:03:41 am »

Mifki?

Whoops!  That's what I get for searching for "VM" and not "VM" *and* "virtual machine".  Thanks for clarifying! :)

Here's the quote, for reference:

I partly agree (however I'm using XP in a virtual machine to build and test all my plugins because, well, with what I use it for, absolutely no point in wasting memory/disk space for anything newer, especially 64bit).
However, DF is a special game, it doesn't require or use any fancy technologies/system features, and it's just as old as XP. So the question really is whether Toady will be willing to drop support for XP for no reason other than to simplify development, and possibly upset some long-time players. Btw, don't also forget 32bit Linux users.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »

I played on my fiancees 32 bit laptop for a while. That she bought in like 2000... played with a cap of 60-80 dwarves and a 1x1 embark. :P but I'm back to my desktop, that is 64 bit.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 05:39:29 pm »

Right now I'm running df on a windows xp old laptop with 3/4 gb ram and a intel pentium 4 1.80ghz. Runs quite smoothly, actually. I cant find whether its 64bit or 32, but man, dxdiag in older versions shows a lot more info(except some really vital stuff). I'm at my grandparents, so dont have access to my shiny desktop which is probably on holiday from getting its cpu melted. This is probably ten years old.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 01:42:42 am »

I assume you upgraded the ram yourself, unless you mean .75 GB which is quite possible as a high end laptop when those were new had 256 MB of RAM.

Pentium 4-M 1.8 or Pentium 4 1.80 Ghz most likely, which is indeed a 32 bit chip from 2001~2002, with the 64 bit P4 chips landing in ~2005 or so.

Amazing that it plays without bursting into flames, really.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 04:03:48 am »

It's a great leg warmer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 05:27:40 am »

I mostly have a frankenstein pc mix with xp and win7 running 32bit. probably stuck with this as I miss the boat to swap to 64bit along time ago(I think.)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:53 am »

You can swap your windows 7 OS for 32bit/64bit if you have the product key. I did that with mine.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:09 pm »

Looks like this might be a serious issue to decide now. 32 bit Linux is apparently lost. Might it be too much work to maintain 32 bit versions of everything or will there really be a mass XP user revolution (eXPit?!)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2016, 01:09:02 am »

The most recent Steam hardware survey showed that 1.94% of Steam users are on either Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows XP 32-bit. With 1.74% of Steam users on Windows XP 32-bit and 0.20% of Steam users on Windows Vista 32-bit. I would guess the average age of Dwarf Fortress players is a bit higher than Steam players, and we probably have a bit higher percentage of people still using older hardware.

For Windows XP and Vista users considering getting a new computer, I don't think Windows 10 is all that bad; It seems like an improvement over Windows 8 at least. They got rid of that obnoxious full-screen Start Menu. On the other hand, the only reason I was using Windows 10 was because someone asked me to switch his computer back to Windows 7 for him.

Looks like this might be a serious issue to decide now. 32 bit Linux is apparently lost. Might it be too much work to maintain 32 bit versions of everything or will there really be a mass XP user revolution (eXPit?!)?

What does it mean that 32-bit Linux is lost? I'm surprised that Linux users are still on 32-bit. It seems like Linux should have been the first operating system to switch to 64-bit.

Edit: Just saw the devlog where he says he needs to get Dwarf Fortress building for 32-bit Linux again. I guess it might not be too hard to support 32-bit versions once he gets everything set up so that he will compile working versions for them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:08:33 am by jecowa »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2016, 02:05:22 am »

Personaly, I got more crashes on windows 8 than xp.

Bizzledorf

• Bay Watcher
  • notorious f.e.g.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2016, 11:05:33 am »

I'm using a 64 bit machine.  I haven't used a 32 bit computer since like, 2010.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5