Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56555 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2016, 12:25:18 pm »

But she's not Russian. Peter "The Great" is the leader of Russia.
Catherine De Medici is leader of France.
At first I was confused a bit too. I mean, everyone knows Peter but who the fuck is that French Catherine? There are multiple questionable leader choices (Afaik, Barbarossa (not the pirate) was mainly known for failing at crusade and rotting in a barrel).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2016, 01:32:17 pm »

My second playthrough included Ghandi as an AI player and his secret agenda (i.e. the one that's randomly determined each game, not the leader-specific one) is Nuke Happy.  Because of course it is.

Also, apparently nuking a barbarian unit prompts you to declare war on them and counts as a surprise attack for warmongering purposes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »

Yeah, nukes are a little buggy right now.

I noticed every time I nuked someone, it'd put all my military units on the borders and it'll act like I surprise war-ed them.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2016, 01:55:11 pm »

But she's not Russian. Peter "The Great" is the leader of Russia.
Catherine De Medici is leader of France.
At first I was confused a bit too. I mean, everyone knows Peter but who the fuck is that French Catherine? There are multiple questionable leader choices (Afaik, Barbarossa (not the pirate) was mainly known for failing at crusade and rotting in a barrel).

A few of the choices are a little iffy in my opinion, like Phillip II for Spain. He was notable for failing at an invasion of England and losing the Spanish Netherlands after trying to violently get rid of Protestantism there. And Gorgo was the wife of the most famous Spartan king. Hell, her unique ability is named after the battle he's famous for. But she's the leader. As for Catherine, she makes more sense to me than Gorgo at least. She never ruled in her own right, but had a ton of influence, especially over her sons, and was pretty much the de facto monarch when she was regent IIRC. Barbarossa was also a very effective and important ruler before he fell off his horse and rotted in a barrel.

So while I think some of the choices are iffy, the ones you pointed out make a bit of sense to me. There are more well known French leaders than Catherine, but it seems like they're trying to be more diverse and include more women. At the same time, they could've swapped Phillip out for Isabella and Gorgo out for Leonidas and they'd have the same numbers while also having ruler choices make more sense. But w/e, Isabella will probably show up in some future DLC.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2016, 02:17:11 pm »

Yeah, nukes are a little buggy right now.
You can literally declare war on yourself using nukes.

A few of the choices are a little iffy in my opinion, like Phillip II for Spain. He was notable for failing at an invasion of England and losing the Spanish Netherlands after trying to violently get rid of Protestantism there. And Gorgo was the wife of the most famous Spartan king. Hell, her unique ability is named after the battle he's famous for. But she's the leader. As for Catherine, she makes more sense to me than Gorgo at least. She never ruled in her own right, but had a ton of influence, especially over her sons, and was pretty much the de facto monarch when she was regent IIRC. Barbarossa was also a very effective and important ruler before he fell off his horse and rotted in a barrel.
I guess.
The leaked Polish ruler, Jadwiga, however...
Well, technically she was a King (a King, not Queen. Queen is the wife of King, she ruled by herself for a while) of Poland and is a saint of Catholic Church and she... yes, she achieved a few things but in comprasion to her husband (Jagiełło, the guy who rekt Teutonic Order in Grundwald) or myriad other Polish leaders (even Casimir would be a better option, since while he ruled Poland at nearly it's weakest, he made the future return to power a possibility) she's not really that important.
For instance, Sobieski, the great awesome victor of Vienna would make more sense, especially since Poland proably will be heavily focused on the Golden Era of Poland, with Winged Hussars and whatnot. Or Piłsudzki, the guy who nearly single-handely recreated Poland after partitions and held off Soviets during Miracle of Vistula. Bolesław the Great if we want to go medieval and focus on the creation of Poland.
The biggest argument is proably that all of them had glorious facial hair while Jadwiga lacks it.

So while I think some of the choices are iffy, the ones you pointed out make a bit of sense to me. There are more well known French leaders than Catherine, but it seems like they're trying to be more diverse and include more women. At the same time, they could've swapped Phillip out for Isabella and Gorgo out for Leonidas and they'd have the same numbers while also having ruler choices make more sense. But w/e, Isabella will probably show up in some future DLC.
Napoleon, Napoleon where are you?
Also I want Civilization III Catherine back.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2016, 04:47:50 pm »

After playing a bit more of the game I feel like the most glaring omission is that this guy isn't in the game anymore... https://youtu.be/DVz_eDUTjAI?t=87

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2016, 05:10:42 pm »

Philip II makes a lot of sense to me. Sure, he failed a lot, but he's pretty prolific. Then again, I live in Belgium, so of course the event that led to the split of the Low Lands is taught in schools :P

In the end, leader choices don't really matter that much as long as Gandhi is around and the others have enough spicy meming potential. Although I will miss Napoleon in that context. His arrogance in demanding techs from me while reduced to a single city in Civilization Revolution is immortalised in my memories.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:13:29 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2016, 05:42:26 pm »

So I played a quick Diety duel map with 4 enemies as Gilgamesh.

1. I spammed war carts, because... war donkeys.

2. Slaughtered France who happened to be right next door. They didn't stand a chance against the donkey stampede.

3. Who needs cities, builders, buildings, improvements, or wonders? MORE DONKEYS!

4. Slaughtered two nearby city states with the donkey armada.

5. All the Great Prophets have been taken already? Wat?

6. Found out Elizabeth was to my right spamming hundreds of warriors. Decided to send the Donkey horde after her.

7. Turns out Ghandi is there too, but he has only three units lol.

8. Fight severe war against Elizabeth. Donkey horde managed to cut a massive swathe through the endless English warriors. But just as we reach Dublin, they managed to finish a marvel of superior technological innovation. WALLS. Our Donkeys are unable to break through such ingenious power. Also they can shoot arrows at us.

9. We start training up catapults and battering rams, as Enkidu told us throwing rocks at the walls will break them. He's such a smart and loyal friend.

10. In the meantime I send my neverending tide of Donkeys to walk past Dublin and take Edinburgh instead. That city had no walls and it fell before the mighty hooves of the Donkeys.

11. Sued for peace with Elizabeth because Donkeys were tired, dying, and my catapults and battering rams were far away.

12. Ghandi is converting everything in the meantime, but I have so many cities he'll never finish. Also he has Elephants now.

13. Revive the war against Elizabeth. Rock throwers and our new great Sumerian general Hannibal Barca pound Dublin into paste from which our Donkeys could trample all over. London summarily falls after.

14. Ghandi tells me to remove my troops from his border. I tell him I can't control where the Donkeys frolic. He denounces me. We go to war.

15. Elephants are no match against Donkeys (and giant flying rocks). However, Ghandi upgraded his three previous warriors into Swordsmen. Another incredible technological marvel. He turned iron into cutting things. Didn't he say he hated violence? To think he could invent such a terror.

16. We take such unpronouncable Indian town with the hoof and the bray of the Donkey.

17. We are poised to take another Indian city. The walls fell before our rock throwers, it would be an easy victory. Nothing stands in our way.

18. We lose. Turns out capturing the Indian cities make them count as ours, and combined with the cities he already converted, Ghandi wins a religious victory. The motherfucker.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2016, 05:43:27 pm »

"They should have put more effort into introducing additional new features."

That's not criticism?

You edited that into your post later... I'm pretty sure most of the people who replied to you posted before you edited that bit in.

I wasn't talking to 'most people'. I was talking to Cruxador.

Cruxador: posted Today at 11:24:55 am.

Last Edit: Today at 10:59:50 am by The13thRonin.

I'll let the facts speak for themselves.
I wasn't responding to your initial post, but to your reaction to other people's reactions to it. Facts don't matter if they're not the facts related to what we're actually talking about.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2016, 06:08:50 pm »

Ghandi is guilty of looking the most caricatural, together with Mvemba a Nzinga (who the fuck is this dude?). Cleopatra and that Chinese fatass too. Teddy, Montezuma, Saladin, Trajan, Pedro, Philip and Pericles are slightly better, but still shit. Gorgo, Catherine and Victoria could be worse. Barbarossa... well, depends if that armour hides huge fucking belly or is just armour. Harald looks like someone from How To Train Your Dragon but not that bad. Gilgamesh looks fucking ripped but I guess that's just how he is. Japanese guy and Peter look like people. Tomyris is not the best either, but since she's the Queen of Scythia and my new waifu she obviously looks the best (because I DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT HER AT ALL BECAUSE I PLAY HER, HUHUHU).

I MEAN GODDAMNIT FIRAXIS YOU MADE THEM LEADERS LIKE HUMANS IN BEYOND EARTH WHY ARE YOU TURNING INTO PIXAR.
Fuck, the more I look at them the more annoying the leaders are. This is my only real problem with Civilization VI graphics.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »

I MEAN GODDAMNIT FIRAXIS YOU MADE THEM LEADERS LIKE HUMANS IN BEYOND EARTH WHY ARE YOU TURNING INTO PIXAR.
Fuck, the more I look at them the more annoying the leaders are. This is my only real problem with Civilization VI graphics.

That's actually really easy to answer:  getting over the uncanny valley is really expensive.  From the screenshots I saw of Civ:BE, they got close but didn't quite make it.  (most of them had really creepy eyes)  From a production angle, I think Firaxis took the correct path; go for a bit more cartoonish overall look, and spend the energy elsewhere to better effect.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2016, 06:50:33 pm »

Yes... no.
They did fine with Tomyris, Peter, several other leaders but Ghandi, Mvemba and several others are straight out caricatures that I would honestly be offended about if they were representing my country leaders. I MEAN LOOK AT THE FUCKING GHANDI. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT THIS IS NOT HOW HUMAN FACE REMOTELY LOOKS LIKE.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »

Pretty sure he's supposed to represent a sentient nuclear missile.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »

Yes... no.
They did fine with Tomyris, Peter, several other leaders but Ghandi, Mvemba and several others are straight out caricatures that I would honestly be offended about if they were representing my country leaders. I MEAN LOOK AT THE FUCKING GHANDI. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT THIS IS NOT HOW HUMAN FACE REMOTELY LOOKS LIKE.
Pretty sure he's supposed to represent a sentient nuclear missile.
I don't know how you made that postulation, but thinking about Civ One and Two..I get it now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 23, 2016, 07:40:02 pm »

He is also a "nuke lover" in Civ 6 too.

If you use nukes, even on him, he will praise you for it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26