Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56554 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2016, 03:45:43 am »

Okay.
Thanks for telling us.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2016, 03:52:45 am »

Hey, that sounds like a good idea, actually.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2016, 04:09:40 am »

I was going to buy this but then I decided to reinstall the far superior Civilization 4 instead and add the Caveman to Cosmos mod.
*tips fedora*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2016, 04:39:23 am »

I was going to buy this but then I decided to reinstall the far superior Civilization 4 instead and add the Caveman to Cosmos mod.

Try it (🏴‍☠️) and then immediately don't regret your decision.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2016, 04:52:17 am »

So, the AI's definitely awful at managing a war, unable to determine when it's winning or losing (I briefly panicked when Gandhi attacked me, sending 4 Varus and a couple miscellaneous warriors to charge down three regular archers and a war chariot protecting an otherwise-defenseless city, but the second I started whittling down the HP of two of them, he sent me a status quo ante peace treaty which I naturally accepted), backstab-happy, and offers no real transparency on why a trade is fair or not (is a 1:1 amenity trade not accepted because I'm too far ahead? too far behind? Just because the AI's a skinflint?), but on the other hand, I definitely had one-more-turn-syndrome, given that I dove in right after work, expecting 1-2 hours of play before going to sleep, and instead resurfaced with what I suspect is an imminent dawn. So...it's kind of a wash? 

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2016, 09:33:38 am »

*tips fedora*

Ah the old, you didn't wait in line all night for the iPhone 7 even though you already had the iPhone 6 consumerism is so important to me that even slightly criticizing new products will elicit a meme that is almost as stale as the product I am defending fedora tip.

I like that one the best... :)
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2016, 10:32:16 am »

Everyone is super impressed by your brave stand against consumerism.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2016, 10:55:46 am »

Everyone is super impressed by your brave stand against consumerism.

Everyone is super impressed with your internet snark.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:23:21 am by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2016, 11:24:55 am »

*tips fedora*

Ah the old, you didn't wait in line all night for the iPhone 7 even though you already had the iPhone 6 consumerism is so important to me that even slightly criticizing new products will elicit a meme that is almost as stale as the product I am defending fedora tip.

You didn't criticize it, though. People have criticized it in this thread and been met with agreement. You just blogged about how you personally aren't playing it. Do you really think this thread is for people to say nothing but "I'm not playing this game"?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2016, 12:06:12 pm »

*tips fedora*

You didn't criticize it, though. People have criticized it in this thread and been met with agreement. You just blogged about how you personally aren't playing it. Do you really think this thread is for people to say nothing but "I'm not playing this game"?

"They should have put more effort into introducing additional new features."

That's not criticism?

Also I was under the impression that this was the internet and that I was free to post what I liked. But maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere. Got lost, you know? Be straight with me... Am I on the internet or in e-North Korea right now?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:19:29 pm by The13thRonin »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2016, 12:26:34 pm »

That's not criticism?

You edited that into your post later... I'm pretty sure most of the people who replied to you posted before you edited that bit in.

Also I was under the impression that this was the internet and that I was free to post what I liked. But maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere. Got lost, you know? Be straight with me... Am I on the internet or in e-North Korea right now?

You can post what you like within the rules of the forum but if you post nothing of value people aren't obliged to like or agree with what you say.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2016, 12:37:48 pm »

That's not criticism?

You edited that into your post later... I'm pretty sure most of the people who replied to you posted before you edited that bit in.

I wasn't talking to 'most people'. I was talking to Cruxador.

Cruxador: posted Today at 11:24:55 am.

Last Edit: Today at 10:59:50 am by The13thRonin.

I'll let the facts speak for themselves.

You can post what you like within the rules of the forum but if you post nothing of value people aren't obliged to like or agree with what you say.

Value is subjective but I agree with the sentiment of your statement. That's exactly why I have disagreed with a number of people on this very page. Now that we have established my right to share my thoughts/opinions on the free forum of ideas which is the internet (a very necessary endeavor given the exotic notion of free speech) maybe we could go back to discussing the game instead of heckling people for 'wrong think'.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:47:21 pm by The13thRonin »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »

So, the AI's definitely awful at managing a war, unable to determine when it's winning or losing (I briefly panicked when Gandhi attacked me, sending 4 Varus and a couple miscellaneous warriors to charge down three regular archers and a war chariot protecting an otherwise-defenseless city, but the second I started whittling down the HP of two of them, he sent me a status quo ante peace treaty which I naturally accepted), backstab-happy, and offers no real transparency on why a trade is fair or not (is a 1:1 amenity trade not accepted because I'm too far ahead? too far behind? Just because the AI's a skinflint?), but on the other hand, I definitely had one-more-turn-syndrome, given that I dove in right after work, expecting 1-2 hours of play before going to sleep, and instead resurfaced with what I suspect is an imminent dawn. So...it's kind of a wash?
Yeah, it's weird isn't it?

I mean, it's not like I have to pretend to like the game like Stellaris at launch where I'm afraid of stepping on some fanboys' toes. I actually do like this one, just it could use more work on the AI side.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2016, 12:51:30 pm »

I really do like the changes and features but the fact that the AI is the main problem is a bit worrisome since I don't recall many Civ games getting major AI overhauls.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:07 pm »

I really do like the changes and features but the fact that the AI is the main problem is a bit worrisome since I don't recall many Civ games getting major AI overhauls.
Mmm.. they don't really overhaul the AI but they do tweak it.

I know Civ 5's AI was similarly disastrous at launch but it's not so awful now.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26