Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56592 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:32 pm »

I think it was Civ 3 that had era-specific clothing for leaders. It was always funny seeing Lincoln with his little ancient-era fur hat.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 09:35:57 pm »

I hope they add mor tech

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 09:37:12 pm »

Well there's a rumor that they're removing 50 techs from the ~80 techs Civ 5 has. A rumor, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »

Ambivalent.  Civ was the second game I ever played (after Elite and before Railroad Tycoon/AlphaCent ;) ), my father gave it as a birthday present in '91 then played thousands of hours himself XD

But I have little faith in the franchise these days.  Its no longer grand strategy (though original civ also has 4x elements), each version suffers more and more abstraction of concepts and mechanics in the name of smooth play for the modern gamer.  To my mind they were doomed the moment they first ported it to the xbox (i hated that title), games of such complex depth (and ui) do not suffer that translation well.  Since then the PC platform has kinda followed that theme, I miss the game that had so many shortcuts I made kboard overlays.

Loved I (and AC) and II, III.  (plus call-to-power for the 2 extra map dimensions)
The cultural border mechanisms were a worthy addition in 4 but it was already far from old Civ.

It just gets shinier each time, but the heart is gone.

Edit:  Curiously enough my biggest regret with Civilization is that its so fast.  I learned it on an Amiga 600 with 6 floppies.  When you hit 'EndTurn' in the mid-late game you were looking at atleast 5-8 minutes of AI before it was your go, even longer approaching victory.  Our empires used to last for weeks or even months, we'd make maps and talk strategy.  From Civ II onwards its a 'normal' modern gamelength because suddenly you are on PC.   If im entirely honest, I still prefer Civ I on the 600 to FreeCiv on my quadcore, because conquering the world is something to savour.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:28:10 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 11:06:56 pm »

I do like the multi-tile cities, if nothing else. It prevents the sort of rigid build order type stuff that dominates 5 and gives them a little more personality because they've grown organically rather than just following whatever optimized build order the other player's looked up on the internet. Plus the warmonger in me loves the idea of fighting to defend my cities district by district, choosing the best place to attack a medieval city's walls, and other such things.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2016, 02:19:09 am »

I am hype! PTW.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2016, 09:59:00 am »

It'll be dumbed down and stripped bare so they can sell the rest of the game as DLC and expansions, calling it now.  When the game launches, I'll check back to this post, and if I'm wrong, I'll buy the game as a forfeit.

Funny how most of the new features/improvements seem to be the same ones Endless Legend made... :P
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2016, 10:05:48 am »

Call to Power was the best Civ revision for me, I mean it might be the nostalgia glasses but really, game had good features, looked good, played good. What more can one ask.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2016, 10:08:04 am »

It'll be dumbed down and stripped bare so they can sell the rest of the game as DLC and expansions, calling it now.  When the game launches, I'll check back to this post, and if I'm wrong, I'll buy the game as a forfeit.

Funny how most of the new features/improvements seem to be the same ones Endless Legend made... :P
Oh no; you'll have to buy a good game! What a tragedy! :P I guess it could be bad for unrelated reasons

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2016, 10:21:30 am »

Oh no; you'll have to buy a good game! What a tragedy! :P I guess it could be bad for unrelated reasons

Good like how Civ V was at launch?  Yer havin a giggle m8 :P

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2016, 10:23:52 am »

Good like how Civ V was at launch?  Yer havin a giggle m8 :P

Except that you're only buying it if you're wrong—that is, if it doesn't have a barebones launch.

Edit: I was under the impression that that was the issue with Civ V's launch. If it was really buggy or something, I'm not aware.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:27:04 am by Elephant Parade »

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2016, 10:46:39 am »

Except that you're only buying it if you're wrong—that is, if it doesn't have a barebones launch.

Edit: I was under the impression that that was the issue with Civ V's launch. If it was really buggy or something, I'm not aware.

Alas, you found me out...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2016, 12:05:57 pm »

They already tried that... What was it, civ 3?

Sort of. Armies in Civ 3 required Great Leaders. Mostly you used individual units still.

Seems like armies will be the default in Civ 6, as they were in Call to Power 2.

I'm pretty meh on a Civ 6, though for reasons other than just franchise fatigue or because of anything I'd heard about what's coming.

However, I've often referred to CtP2's army system as a option between infinite doomstacks and ridiculous 1UPT. It's own interpretation was not perfect by any means, but it did try to innovate and I'm surprised that no one, even mods, ever try a similar system. Maybe CtP2 just never got popular enough for it to be seen.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2016, 12:20:22 pm »

They already tried that... What was it, civ 3?

Sort of. Armies in Civ 3 required Great Leaders. Mostly you used individual units still.

Seems like armies will be the default in Civ 6, as they were in Call to Power 2.

I'm pretty meh on a Civ 6, though for reasons other than just franchise fatigue or because of anything I'd heard about what's coming.

However, I've often referred to CtP2's army system as a option between infinite doomstacks and ridiculous 1UPT. It's own interpretation was not perfect by any means, but it did try to innovate and I'm surprised that no one, even mods, ever try a similar system. Maybe CtP2 just never got popular enough for it to be seen.
There are actually hell of a lot of games that used a CtP-like system of battle, like Master of Orion/Master of Magic, and Age of Wonders; it's just that it usually also comes with the ability to manually control units in a tactical battle screen.

There's also Heroes of Might and Magic, as an example of a game that allowed "infinite doomstacking" and didn't really suffer because of it.
._.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »

Is this supposed to be a website? It seems to have failed worse than I've ever seen a site fail before, and I'm not even blocking it from running javascript.  :o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thats JSON, something broke or the site is under too much load
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26