Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56527 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2016, 11:33:08 am »

Production too.
In VI a lot depends on building up production (thus, districts) early-on because the production actually SCALES UP with more techs. The planning thing is much more in-depth than it seems and it's never really properly touched upon.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2016, 11:42:50 am »

Okay thanks. Maybe my cities were just planned poorly production wise.

Speaking of city planning I found this helpful infographic on reddit that goes over a lot of the bonuses when placing districts.

http://i.imgur.com/roUW0RN.png

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2016, 11:58:31 am »

There is more.
For instance, factory building grants +3 production to every city within 6 tiles. Power plant grants +4 within 6 tiles. Which means you want to build yourself an pretty sizeable industrial center with as many industrial zones covering as many cities as possible.
So on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:31 pm »

Does marathon game speed change tech and production in Civ or just tech? If it's just tech I might give it a go because the pacing in 6 felt a bit off. I felt like I was teching up way faster than I was producing things.
I've heard people are already using their own pace-tweaking mods, search around the subreddit for a few. (e.g. everything except for units costs more)

Also since this is the biggest civ thread rn, how do you even get good at civ. In V I can win on Warlord with ease but I've only ever won one game on Prince, as France with culture, and I had a really good start then (flood plains, mountains covering me to one side, and Venice to the other).

I tend to win on Prince in V by rushing the Great Library, getting Philosophy as a free tech and building the National College on top of that, then outpacing everyone on science by miles upon miles and building all the wonders I can. Should probably step up the difficulty at this point (I tend to play Civ V when I'm listening to a podcast, since it requires me to pay very little attention to things for the most part).

Of course, I also always play on Marathon game length, so maybe that makes it easier, I dunno.
Eh maybe I'm just bad. I'm rather afraid of trying because often I'll suddenly realise I'm hopelessly behind and just sort of give up :/

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 26, 2016, 12:08:29 pm »

Eh maybe I'm just bad. I'm rather afraid of trying because often I'll suddenly realise I'm hopelessly behind and just sort of give up :/

I used to be incredibly bad at Civ as well, where I was falling behind on Warlord in Civ IV and mostly stuck to the level below that, but once you learn the mechanics and how to exploit them through a bit of experience it's pretty easy to game yourself into semi-competence. Civ V seems a bit easier than Civ IV, partly because I've always been bad at expansion and Civ V punishes expansion in several ways, whereas in Civ IV if you wanted to get any shit done whatsoever you had to expand quite a lot.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2016, 12:17:14 pm »

How to win Civilization VI on any difficulty.

Step 1: Pick Scythia.
Step 2: Acquire Kurgan. Acquire two units of horses.
Step 3: Acquire God of the Forge Pantheon.
Step 4: Acquire Maneuver.
Step 5: Acquire Horse Riding.
Step 6: ? ? ?
Step 7: THE HORDE HAS ARRIVED. MORE CAVALRY THAN THERE ARE TILES ON THE MAP! AND THEY ALL HEAL!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »

How to win Civilization VI on any difficulty.

Step 1: Pick Scythia.
Step 2: Acquire Kurgan. Acquire two units of horses.
Step 3: Acquire God of the Forge Pantheon.
Step 4: Acquire Maneuver.
Step 5: Acquire Horse Riding.
Step 6: ? ? ?
Step 7: THE HORDE HAS ARRIVED. MORE CAVALRY THAN THERE ARE TILES ON THE MAP! AND THEY ALL HEAL!

But what if it's an archipelago world?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2016, 12:36:18 pm »

At this point you could beat Civ 6 on any difficulty with a rock, two sticks, and a half-eaten bale of hay.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2016, 12:48:47 pm »

I am pretty sure that your waterborne Dothraki horse horde is still much better at naval invasions than the AI is.
EDIT:
AAAAAAH HORSELAND! Sogno di Volare fits the nuclear explosion - I am certain that many souls flew straight into the sky that day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:02:59 pm by Kot »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:33 pm »

Set up an okay economy pretty early on and I started offering civs loans at 20% interest. Since my civics let me create maintenance free armies I can put it all into cities or reinvest in more loans. I thought I was slick because I've got Ghandi paying me 5 gold per turn but now he's at war with one of my other lendees. Here I thought I was a banker, turns out I just bought a lot of stock in companies that have a tendency to murder each other.

Edit: Scratch that, Ghandi is dead and I'm still getting my gpt. Bailout baby, this bank's too big to fail.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:52:29 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2016, 11:57:35 pm »

Edit: Scratch that, Ghandi is dead and I'm still getting my gpt. Bailout baby, this bank's too big to fail.
That is one hilarious bug.
._.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2016, 12:18:03 am »

Nah, that's just the conqueror inheriting the debt.
That, or Ghandis Family.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2016, 12:43:02 am »

So apparently there's still no Steam Workshop support?

I'm still waiting for someone to make a proper Marathon mod.

The problem with every Civ game's marathon length is that it just increases ALL the costs. This just makes the game arbitrarily longer. Even worse is how this lengthening becomes absolutely worthless as you reach something like the industrial age as your research and production rates are so high that you might as well be playing on something like standard speed since you will blitz through all the remaining ages in no time at all. So you will spend 70% of your game with warriors or spears, and the remaining 30% you will blitz through guns to nukes to robot warriors in no time at all.

So I've always relied on mods to increase the research costs by about 10 - 20x higher (increasing dramatically as you increase in age in order to keep up with how much research you gain as you expand) but keeping productions costs lower. That way you get to fully experience each age until you're so sick of it. Not to mention tech becomes way more impressive as whoever gets planes first for example has a massive advantage.

I wonder if I can just do it myself...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2016, 12:46:23 am »

People have already modified the files to do that. It didn't seem super hard.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2016, 12:47:09 am »

People have already modified the files to do that. It didn't seem super hard.
Do you have a link?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26