Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 56531 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization VI was just announced!
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »

Also, apparently this works:

1. Open the trade window
2. Offer the AI a resource
3. Offer a lot of lump sum gold
4. Offer a lot of GPT
5. Ask the AI what they will give you for this
6. The AI will give you a lot of lump sum and GPT for your resource PLUS the lump and GPT you offered
7. Since lump and GPT cant be on both sides of a trade, they'll get knocked off your side
8. Accept all of the AIs GPT and stored money for a single resource.

Note that I don't actually own Civ VI, but it's pretty fun to follow the release and I've read on reddit that this works.
Another amusing bug is one where you can freely nuke your own allies with no repercussions, not even having to declare war.

So if you think your ally is doing too well, just drop a few nukes on them, they won't mind.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »

I feel like the game gets much more balanced when you play on marathon difficulty. More actual combat, more barbarians, it's actually harder to reach Medieval age in BC or launch a satelite in 1400s. The AI is somehow more sane as more time tends to balance out the hate. It doesn't even really take that long because most of the time you just click through the turns.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »

Fully veteraned out Rocket Artillery has like 5 base range.
With balloons, it's 12. 12 fucking tiles. That's not MLRS anymore, that's a fucking IRBM.

At least that's explainable. It could be a cruise missile, rail gun or even a laser reflected via mirror off the balloon swarm.

The next step is to see if you can gift them to under-teched city-states that are still using slingers or bows.

Civ VI: Rise of the Super Saiyan Slingerz!

I do like that leaders have a bit of personality now, even if not all their actions make much sense. Between that and the government system cards, it gives me a very SMAC vibe from it, which is only a good thing. Seems way better put together than Civ5 as an initial release, but I'll wait a couple of months for a few things to be patched and/or modded. No matter how hard it is to do, there will be mods eventually for Civ VI.
It's a game. Have fun.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »

I do like that leaders have a bit of personality now, even if not all their actions make much sense.

I'm loving this too.  Its not perfect, but often its hilarious.

Chinese:  How dare you have more wonders than us!??!

Me:  Well fricken start building some then.  I've only got like two, and I stole them from Montezuma!

I'm curious to see how angry the vikings get if I play on a map with no oceans.

Edit:  Another neat thing I noticed is that if you take over a city that originally belonged to a city-state, you can choose to restore it as an independent city state for a huge decrease in your warmonger penalty (and three free envoys).  I thought it was kinda neat.

Edit 2:  I'm also liking the whole captured spies thing.  My roommate captured a spy and he won't return him unless I give him a whole city.   :P
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:04:05 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2016, 10:31:40 am »

Woo, I won my second game VS roommate. 

It started bad on fractal map with me playing as Rome, my roommate as Egypt.  I started in a crappy little tundra spot at the bottom of the map, so I immediately put all my effort into making a settler to find a better spot.  Sadly, Barbarians slowed my progress and by the time I got there and built a city Montezuma had already taken most of the land. 

My roommate beat up American with ease and took a few other cities while I ended up in a long ass war with Montezuma that I almost lost, but managed to beat him back and eventually take all his cities.  Germans and China both took advantage of this and made footholds on my continent.

My roommate was going for a Science victory(I was as well at the start), but he was so far ahead by the industrial age that I didn't have much of a chance of beating him to it.  I figured I'd try my best with boosts, but then I remembered I should probably upgrade my religion (I'm a devout Worshipper of mosquitos) and at least try to convert my land.  This let me learn sorta how all the religious units work.  After I finally rid my land of Montezuma's Buddism, I checked to see how my science was doing.  Still far far behind my roommate.  New plan time.

My roommate didn't have a religion, and everyone else was essentially piggybacking off the Germans Catholicism.  I decided to go for the long shot, and convert all my efforts to faith.  It went very well.  I managed to convert the Germans first, then the chinese.  Only Spain(who was losing a war with china) and Egypt(my roomate) was left.  He starts to catch on to what I'm doing, but doesn't know enough about religious victories to understand how to counter it.  I managed to convert his one city that still had Catholicism and a holy site first, so he can't pump out any counter religious units. 

He comes up with a plan to delay me, since his space race is starting to get closer.  He's starts building settlers at all his cities, hoping he can create cities faster than I can take them over.  This was actually probably a good idea, since I hadn't mapped out most of his territory and the oceans so he could probably plunk them all over the place without me knowing.  Sadly for him, I managed to convert the last city I needed(and one of Spain's) to get the victory before he could get his settler anywhere.

Victory!  :P

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:34:31 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2016, 01:36:54 pm »

At least that's explainable. It could be a cruise missile, rail gun or even a laser reflected via mirror off the balloon swarm.

The next step is to see if you can gift them to under-teched city-states that are still using slingers or bows.

Civ VI: Rise of the Super Saiyan Slingerz!

I do like that leaders have a bit of personality now, even if not all their actions make much sense. Between that and the government system cards, it gives me a very SMAC vibe from it, which is only a good thing. Seems way better put together than Civ5 as an initial release, but I'll wait a couple of months for a few things to be patched and/or modded. No matter how hard it is to do, there will be mods eventually for Civ VI.
My problem is that the way I've experienced this is that there's some colorful reason for why everybody hates me but everybody still hates me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »

A few of them will hate you... because your not stronger than them.

Civ 6 is really gunning for one playstyle above all others it seems.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:43 pm »

Well, historically speaking if you were defenseless other nations wouldn't give a single shit about not conquering you. I suppose it makes the AI a bit more human, I would say.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »

Well, historically speaking if you were defenseless other nations wouldn't give a single shit about not conquering you. I suppose it makes the AI a bit more human, I would say.

Except you know... all the times this didn't apply.

It is just weird and gives you a clear sense of disconnect when they want you to be better then them... in one area... that is their specialty.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »

I mean, more in the sense it's not that they like you, but rather that if you have good navy Harald doesn't really want to fuck with you but when he sees you're lacking he just takes the ocassion and starts attacking you. Catherine sees that you're weak at spying and starts attacking you. Cleopatra starts hating and attacking you when you have small army. Trajan just sees you as glorified city-state when you're weak.

Except yeah, when it this doesn't apply, but I think this is how it could make sense.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 25, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »

important observations in regard to the diplomacy system
Huh, that's interesting.

So basically you want to ramp up the positive modifiers early as they just stack eternally. And when you do fuck them over, the stacked benefit of the positive modifiers is so high nothing you can do will upset them.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »

That is actually pretty realistic. Everyone racked up the negative modifiers in Poland early on so now we don't like anyone.
It's okay though, Poland will into space.
Some day.
Maybe.
I hope.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »

I really just don't like this kind of diplomacy system. It feels too arbitrary.
Shouldn't this nation like me if I'm acting in their interests? Why do they care how many luxuries I have? Why are they scolding me for this?

It feels like all the other AI civs are like parents trying to micromanage a child - me.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:42 pm »

Because Firaxis wanted to have unique leaders but didin't think it through well. With Harald on sealess map you can at best fill lakes with ships and treat them as bunkers.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26