Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: The worst artifact ever  (Read 17888 times)

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst artifact ever
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2008, 08:48:47 am »

Randomness is fun for the first few weeks. The first few months maybe. But if you've been playing for years, you've already had your share of crappy artifacts, accidents, streaks of 5 legendary miner moods, and all that.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't give you a goal when you play, you set your own goals. And I happen to be a perfectionist, and won't accept less than perfection. Even if that means I spend 2 hours digging through the memory for every hour of DF I play.

My current fortresses are nothing less than works of art, and everything that is imperfect will be eliminated, one way or another.

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2008, 09:16:12 am »

I mentioned this on another board, but...

My first artifact was a Chalk Mechanisim, encrusted with chalk, encircled with bands of chalk, and menacing with spikes of chalk. I forget it's name, so I shall call it "Dusty".
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2008, 09:53:06 pm »

About that silk sword. If what they say is true, then it still will outmatch any non-adamantine weapon save for masterwork steel.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

dabbling noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2008, 12:58:45 am »

i find it funny when you get artifacts with images of gems on them...done in other gems... "On the item is an image of a Rose quartz in Green tourmaline."

wtf how would you be able to tell?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2008, 01:06:33 am »

Here's a hint: if you want to make fantastic artifacts, put a few small custom stockpiles right next to your workshops and use the "take from pile" to put your expensive stuff (gold bars, obsidian stone, etc) nearby. When your dwarf starts marching around looking for stuff to take he'll grab from there first if it meets the criteria. Keep them forbidden and only unforbid the items when there's a new mood.

Dai-rasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2008, 11:14:29 am »

Not sure about it useless factor.. but seeing that aluminum can't normally be used for armor...

The sad that was that the dwarf that made it was possessed, so no legendary skill  :-\
Still it is worth 170.400,- so that counts for something.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2008, 11:20:39 am »

I also recently made a boot (or was it shoe? Dunno). Made from native platinum ore, giant toad leather, giant cave spider chittin, fire imp leather, and something else.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2008, 09:57:51 am »

I'm not sure about the protection on it, but that aluminum boot should be at least fantastic insofar as it is probably comparably very light. How much does it weigh?

Dai-rasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2008, 10:59:15 am »

I'm not sure about the protection on it, but that aluminum boot should be at least fantastic insofar as it is probably comparably very light. How much does it weigh?

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2008, 04:13:11 am »

I also recently made a boot (or was it shoe? Dunno). Made from native platinum ore, giant toad leather, giant cave spider chittin, fire imp leather, and something else.
Blasphemy!!!
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Terbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »

Code: [Select]
Nothokmidor "The Obeisant Power", a Highwood cabinet
This is a Highwood cabinet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with chalk
and encircled with bands of Birch. This object menaces with spikes of highwood. On the item is an image of The Obeisant
Power the Highwood cabinet in Birch

My possessed carpenter was lacking inspiration for the image. :/

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2008, 03:48:46 pm »

I got a Platimum Hatch Cover. Encrsuted with rose gold and about every gem i the jerk could get his hands on.  :-[
I dont even know what a Hatch Cover is good for. (I looked up the Wiki by now... but i am still not going to use it...)
I think i should lock the door on that Dwarf when he's sleeping, then thros the damn thing in a chasm and watch him go nuts in a locked room...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:50:26 pm by Refar »
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »

One of my dwarves made an obsidian ring decorated with bands of obsidian. I knew it was a bad sign when he only wanted one thing for the artifact. If it weren't made of obsidian, it'd be the lowest-value artifact possible (7200 instead of 2400 because of obsidian's value multiplier).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2008, 04:08:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A possesed farmer crafted this for me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:11:13 pm by Alex Encandar »
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread: