Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: When the World Changed  (Read 4860 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When the World Changed
« on: May 10, 2016, 01:38:37 pm »

In the year 2079 world tensions had reached an all time high, after the brief six month stretch of the American-Russian War a nuclear incident occurred wherein almost a dozen nuclear weapons were detonated in various locations of North America, and Eurasia. While some governments were hurrying to repair the damage caused by the war there were others who were preparing contingency plans for movement off world in case another incident occurred that could result in total nuclear warfare, all in all people looked towards the next day in fear that it might be their last. While nations scrambled in all directions looking for any, and every solution the UN had come together with a mandate that allowed the creation of a military force that could only be ordered by an official UN verdict who were set with the task of ensuring that a second nuclear incident did not occur. Grudgingly the other nations accepted the placement of a division from this force, the UNSF (United Nation Special Forces), within their borders who were to be informed of the location of potential nuclear threats.

This is where you come in, for one reason or another you found your way into joining the UNSF, and were quickly dispatched to a part of northern USA that remained unharmed by the war in order to watch over the remainder of the US government to ensure that further nuclear retaliation against the remnants of the Russian government would not occur. Thanks to all of that you have found yourself in this place, Camp Harlen, a square mile patch of land cut into a forest that was quickly covered in prefab structures, and bland concrete buildings to house the roughly seven hundred members of the UNSF that were deployed here to watch a crumbling nation try to keep its collective shit together. You sigh as you walk outside of your designated barracks only to find it snowing again, you can hear a few of the soldiers that pass by cursing the shitty summer weather, but simply ignore it as you've come to get used to it in the two weeks you've spent here where being assigned to guard duty is considered the most interesting job you can get.

When you arrive at your post you find tonight's partner already there, chatting it up with the two about to come off shift as he fishes a pack of smokes from a breast pocket. The moment the two see you approach they hastily excuse themselves, and seem to rush off clearly in a hurry to use the R&R time they'd earned from the shift leaving you standing in the cold, drifting snow with the scraggly haired fellow whose currently struggling with his lighter. After a few tries he finally get the spark to take and takes a drag from his cigarette before offering the pack to you as he asks,

"So, what's your name rookie? Mine's Carl, born and raised in the US ... well what used to be a part of it."

Spoiler: ??? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:54:36 pm by adwarf »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When the World Changed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »

I don't have any good names to suggest right now, but I'll be watching.

Also, we don't have a sidearm?
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »

Also, we don't have a sidearm?
You should have one, correcting now.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:55:27 pm »

He briefly eyed the pack of cigarettes then waved a hand dismissively. "I'm Chris Sanders. And go fuck yourself for calling me 'rookie'. That's so damn cheesy." He said, only being half serious. "Pleased to meet you, fellow grunt." Chris looked around the post.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:46:56 pm »

He briefly eyed the pack of cigarettes then waved a hand dismissively. "I'm Chris Sanders. And go fuck yourself for calling me 'rookie'. That's so damn cheesy." He said, only being half serious. "Pleased to meet you, fellow grunt." Chris looked around the post.

+1.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:25:16 pm »

+1.
+1.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When the World Changed
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:01:09 pm »

You refuse his offer of a cigarette as you reply,

"I'm Chris Sanders. And go fuck yourself for calling me 'rookie'. That's so damn cheesy.

Pleased to meet you, fellow grunt."

As soon as you call him grunt a grin comes across Carl's face, and he chuckles a bit before placing the pack of cigarettes back in his pocket. He nods into the distance and you turn to look at the field of tree stumps that separates the camp from the outskirts of the forest,

"Look at all the dangers we have to guard against out here in the middle of nowhere, how many rebels and insurgents do you think are hiding out there ready to come along and steal a nuke? Though honestly I don't know why I'm complaining, just look at how much we get paid to stand here and just stare at an empty field all day, and we still haven't seen a single combat mission since we were deployed here four months ago. They might as well just hand us our paychecks along with a beach chair, and some of those fancy umbrella drinks."

You chuckle at the last line as you focus on a bird that had took flight from the forest, back lit by the setting sun it was quite a nice sight if it weren't for the damned snow falling every w-

You stop mid-thought as you realize something seems to be very, very off as the bird you had been watching is frozen in the air and the countless snowflakes have stopped their falling making the air around you look like some kind of strange art masterpiece. Somewhat freaked out you turn to Carl to ask what the hell is going on only to find him frozen in place as well, the ashes and embers from his freshly flicked cigarette butt still in front of him ...

Before you can finish processing what is going on the air next to Carl's head suddenly tears revealing a black rift from which something you can only describe as an imp crawls out before it clambers onto the stationary Carl's shoulder to pat itself off. Seemingly unaware of your utter confusion the imp snap's its fingers causing a top hat to poof into existence which it dons before speaking,

"Hmmm, so you're the lucky one? I never understand why they chose the value of Gifts for newcomers through a lottery, the winners always seem to be the weakest ones and your race is by far one of the puniest ones I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Oh well, in the end its not my decision, so let's get this show on the road! Through sheer dumb luck you've been chosen for to have the most freedom in the receiving of the Gods' Gift, unlike most others who will be assigned their Gift through a combination of what fits them best and how much of a damn their Overseer gives.

So, since I have about fifteen hundred other candidates to get to today why don't we get down to the decision making? You have three minutes to tell me what it is you wish for most."

With that the imp snaps his fingers again, and an hourglass appears next to him that quickly flips itself over to allow the sand to run down ...

Spoiler: Chris Sanders (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:08:10 pm »

I want immortality. I never want to die.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 04:12:01 pm »

I want immortality. I never want to die.
+1. Though something tells me we should specify what kind of immortality it is. Is it the 'no aging' kind? The 'you can't die and that's it' kind? The 'regenerate from a single cell' kind?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:12 pm »

I want the world to go back before the war started. Before the shit hit the fan.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:51 pm »

"I want to be whatever I need to be."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When the World Changed
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:48 pm »

"I want immortality. I never want to die."

The imp grins at your words and slaps out at the hourglass that had run halfway through the sand within, as his hand came into contact with the hourglass it seemed to writhe as it changed shape in its entirety, compressing inwards and twisting into the shape of a ring. In moments the hourglass has changed into a ring in the shape of a snake biting its own tail, its upper half is pitch black while its lower half, and tail are pure unblemished white. Grabbing it out of the air he flicks it towards you, and starts to speak,

"There are always those who ask for immortality, and of the countless I have seen few have ever come to like the choice they made that day. I can't wait to see what it does to you, a being whose lifespan would have originally barely surpassed ninety years coming to live forever, how many times can you face death before the madness takes you? I'm going to bet ten times will be your limit, but now I'm required to tell you about the rules for your Gift though I have no obligation to actually explain how it works, I'll let you suffer through that.

Once you put on this ring Death will no longer have any hold over you, for all those beings who fall short of the Gods and their legacies death will never really seem to stick when they go about chopping you to pieces, burning, and disintegrating you. However, you and the ring will from that day forth be bound together, should you ever remove the ring or someone else purposely remove it from your hand then you'll die instantly. Well first you'll suffer through every instance when you should have died before then Death will come along for it's long awaited prize.

Of course something like your arm with the ring on it being cut-off won't cause your death, but someone coming along and trying to steal the ring from your severed arm certainly will! Aside from that all I have to say is that what you asked for is immortality, enjoy your miserable existence for the Gods, and I will be watching with interest!"

With that the imp jumps off Carl's shoulder directly into a newly opening rift which quickly snaps shut behind him. Moments after the world seems to slowly flow back to life as the snow starts to drift back to the ground followed by Carl jumping backwards as he reaches for the rifle at his side and screams,

"WHAT THE FU-"

He stops just as he brings the gun up to bare as he suddenly seems to realize something, and with the gun still readied he looks over at you and asks,

"Did you ... uh, did you not just see that? I swear there was a burning man running towards me with .... something that resembled bats chasing him.

What the hell is going on?"

Carl slowly starts to mutter as he finishes his question before turning to scan the area again with his clearly shaking finger on the trigger.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:11:19 pm »

Chris is glad Carl was too frightened to notice how shaken he was himself after meeting the imp. He looked at the ring, trying to slow his breathing. Immortality couldn't be that bad, could it? He put the ring on.

Once he had calmed down, he stepped over to Carl. "Hey, listen. You're not crazy okay? Something happened to me just now." Tell him about time freezing, and the imp, but don't say anything about the ring. "Tell me more about that burning man. Was it someone you knew?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When the World Changed
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 07:51:02 pm »

You put the ring on your finger as you try to get Carl to calm down, the moment you finish sliding it onto your finger you wait for some kind of feeling to happen, but are somewhat confused by the fact that nothing does. You feel the exact same as you had moments before ...

Trying to pull your mind away worrying you explain to Carl that you saw something as well, telling him about how time seemed to freeze before an imp appeared to offer you some kind of power before disappearing again when you accepted. When you ask him to tell you about the man he saw Carl seems to freeze, and it takes a moment before he responds.

"It, I mean he, looked like ... well, he looked exactly like me. Instead of wearing normal clothes he was wearing some kind of red armor with a gold sword clutched in his hand, and he was completely wreathed in flames that just seemed to stick to him rather than try to burn him. He was running from a giant cloud of these bats that weren't really bats, they were human sized and had some kind of weapons clutched in the hands of a pair of arms that stuck out beneath there wings, but when he saw me standing there he stopped running and smiled for some reason.

He nodded to me, and spoke in some language I couldn't understand before he turned back to the bats ... When he turned back the flames started to grow towards the sky and all of the sudden everything turned whi-"

Before Carl could finish your vision turned white followed by a massive wave of hot air bashing against you, sending you flying backwards. You feel yourself flip several times in the air before you pull your head towards your chest and cover it with your arms only to be overtaken by a sharp pain at the back of your head that causes your consciousness to fade. When you finally come to its caused by the overwhelming smell of smoke and something else that forces you upright as you start to gag and cough, gasping for air between fits that take a while to settle down. Finally, somewhat composed you manage to push yourself up and take a look around to find that the forest that had been opposite to the camp now no longer exists, or at least a large portion of it is now a very large, smoking crater with fires still raging near the center of it ...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 07:54:30 pm »

Look around for Carl, or any survivors for that matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5