Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Pioneers - Phase 3 ~ Cooking Up a Storm  (Read 25989 times)

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneers - Prologue
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »

Ahh...I was afraid of that. While Welding might grow faster, engineering is a ridiculously broad field, and provides a lot more opportunities.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 05:46:58 pm »

Do we know that it's a swamp? I was planning on making a swamp expert from the bayou

Yes, the company has made public statements on the composition of the planet and actively promoting the spread of this information.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »

((Hope it's not too late.))

Name: Koran Smith
Appearance: He stands at 6'2", with a muscular build. He has greying black hair, and dark green eyes, and he looks the part of an out of retirement hunter, wearing leather that looks to have been skinned at Koran's prime.
Skills: Hunting and Gathering
Artifact: Blunderbuss: Put in as a special order by Koran when he was 23, the Blunderbuss is an ancient weapon, with a magazine capacity of only 2 rounds. Despite this, it can use most anything as ammo, from normal and Incendiary rounds, to tree branches and severed limbs.

Background: Koran was born to a Mother who worked in a wildlife reserve, and a Father whose main hobby was hunting. Having decided to be a hunter like his old man, Koran began his journey into Big Game Hunting at only 21, and quickly amassed enough money to buy his signature gun, the Blunderbuss, only 2 years later. While Koran retired from Big Game Hunting 10 years ago, he came out of retirement to be one of the many colonists who supply food to the Colony, though his primary import is whatever meat he can recover from his expeditions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:48:10 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »

TCM my sheet okay now?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:25 pm »

Name: Coca Bucket
Skills: Stealth
Artifact: Stowaway Pipe. A combination lockpick, crowbar, and crude club. It's shaped like a car jack with two key-shaped 'grips' at the end that is inserted into a lock or gap.  Apply pressure and wait a few seconds and it should open the door/locker/skull/what-have-you after thirty seconds.
Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2016, 09:43:01 pm »

((Hope it's not too late.))

It's certainly not. We haven't even started and so far there hasn't been a need for a player cap.

TCM my sheet okay now?

See my post here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158035.msg6994034#msg6994034

Also, as Fniff has inadvertently reminded me to do, I am adding a Backstory piece to the character sheet. Don't worry, it's optional and only exists in case anyone wants to redo their sheet with a flesh-out backstory they have planned.

The game will properly begin tommorow.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »

Oh what I meant by that is any action which could be improved by music will get a +2 it could maybe help in a battle if you put on inspiring music but you have to find the song.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:30 pm »

So it provides bonus to any actions which would logically be boosted by music, as long as relevant music was played? That works better, yes.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:25 pm »

((Will backstory later, all storied out right now.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:05 pm »

Spoiler: Mao Liu (click to show/hide)

Added a backstory.

For flavor. (*bang*)

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2016, 06:27:14 am »

Spoiler: Jakub 'Cook' Kucharz (click to show/hide)
Edited

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »

Phase 0 ~ Lustrum
Date: October, 2598

After five years of leaving Earth's surface and jetting through the starry void of space, the cutting edge spacecraft S.S. Primus breaks the atmospheric layers of Lustrum, the planet that will be the new home for the three-hundred colonists onboard, both anxious and excited to leave their metal containment for years. From an external view, Lustrum is lush with a seemingly untouched ozone layer.
The landing of the spacecraft is smooth as both its team and A.I. systems pinpoint it to a clearing of flat, solid land, crushing numerous small trees in the process (fortunately, trees appear to be an abundant resource on this planet). The colonists exit their vessel and are immediately assailed by a warm pulse of sunlight and the purest unfiltered air. There is water everywhere, populated by submerged trees and floating plant life. On solid ground are more trees, both great and small, as well as a plethora of ankle-high flora growing out of the nearly coal-black soil. At first glance, it is nearly identical to the swamplands on Earth, which are now rare by consequence of development and human expansion. Some colonists are driven to hysterical emotion at the profound sense of finding some place new, untouched and uncorrupted by man, though perhaps some see a land worthy to be exploited and even capitalized upon.

This is where the tale of Lustrum begins.

Spoiler: Discoveries (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Major Events (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Colony Reference (click to show/hide)

My apologies for running behind schedule. It has been agreed upon that each Phase/Turn of the game will have a time frame of One Month, and any unresolved actions at the end of a Phase would take a shorter time period, (A couple weeks, days, hours, etc.) can be handle in small "Inter-Phases", though I will do my best to make the results of each Phase as comprehensive and resolving as possible.

Talking (assuming the characters are nearby and not hundreds of miles apart) is a free action.

Note that Secret Actions are possible in this game, wherein you may PM me for an action that will be kept hidden from the other players. If there are any characters in the vicinity of your secret action, they may discover you (this is usually decided by a Stealth vs. Perception roll), at which point they will also be informed via PM of what you are doing, and you may or may not find out you have been discovered.

There are various information spoilers that will be at the bottom of every turn. They include Discoveries and Major Events, which are self-explanatory, (if you are chiefly involved/responsible for a Discovery or Major Event, your character will be listed next to it), Colony Reference which includes general information about the Colony as a whole and any "Collective Inventory" that belongs to everyone, and finally the Player Character Reference. I have removed the Appearance and Backstory elements to make this section more organized and compact but that does not mean that Appearance and Backstory have been removed; I appreciate you guys taking the time to fill those sections out and I will frequently refer back to your original posts frequently.

I plan to update this game on a semi-regular 1-2 day basis. Missing a Phase or two is not a big deal. If you do miss a phase, I will just Auto your character doing any previous long-term goals that they had, (ex. if you character was going on a scouting expedition that lasted several months, I would Auto you as continuing on this expedition and performing your regular functions while keeping true to the nature of your character) and will always Auto your character with the assumption that they want to, above all else, survive. If you have an issue with this, please feel free to comment on it.
If you wish to stop playing at any time, I can simply convert your character into an Important NPC.

Lastly, this game is still accepting new players. If you want to play, your character will be assumed to have been part of the colonist population.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:11:31 pm by TCM »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneers - Phase 0 ~ Lustrum
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2016, 01:08:20 pm »

Regalia comes out pushing her jukebox a tired look on her face.
Turn up the music! Something light and happy.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:42 pm »

Mao inspires deeply and stretches. It feels good to be out of the spacecraft. He turns toward Joseph Stalin Lenox :

"What a great sight isn't it comrade ? You were unofficially appointed temporary leader of the expedition, were shall we begin ?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »

(("I will frequently refer back to your original posts frequently" is a little redundant, no?))

Joseph Lenox stretches.

"So many things to do. We need a stable source of food and water for the months to come. I'd like to test out the food around this area to make sure it is fine for consumption, and I would also like to establish some kind of distillery to convert this dirty water into drinkable water, and possibly alcohol. Alcohol is the fuel of construction. The ship can shelter us for now, but future generations will need more. Shelter is therefore a low priority.

Hmm... I will give a rousing, inspiring speech. In the meantime, I want you to take the elders aside. Tell them to collect and eat the berries around here. Don't let them know that the berries may have... adverse effects on them. We can use them to identify which local fruits are edible.

Hmmm, I think we had a biologist aboard. Cynthia or something? Seek her out, and have her conduct experiments on local flora and fauna, to aid with the identification of what is healthy and what is not.

I'll assign the adults to deforesting the nearby area, flattening it out, cultivating it, and securing a distillery. You get your elders moving. Keep the children aboard to the best of your ability. They are our future. They are not expendable.
"

Joseph Lenox coughs, raises his voice, and delivers a loud, rousing speech to the colonists.

"Listen, my friends, my comrades, my family. Today, we mark a new age for mankind. We expand where no single man or woman has ever gone before. All of you have made history. Now, let's do our best to keep ourselves in the history books. If we perish, we will surely be forgotten, our data purposefully deleted by the company to preserve its reputation. If we survive, we are legendary. So, are you with me?

WILL YOU SURVIVE?!
"

He pauses a moment, hoping for a roar of applause and agreement. He continues, in a more serious tone.

"First things first, my comrades. We must prepare this land for our survival. I would like every able bodied man and woman over the age of twenty, and under the age of seventy-five, to assist with this. We shall clear this area of trees and flatten it. We shall irrigate it with water from the nearby swamp, using pumps from the ship. We will sow the land, not only with our food, but also with our future.

If you are under the age of twenty, please proceed onto the ship, and be safe. YOU ARE OUR FUTURE.

I would like Cynthia to come forward and speak to my good friend Mao here. He will assign you a task. Also, anyone over the age of seventy-five, Mao has told me has an assignment for you also.

For everyone else, let's get to work. Let's chop these trees down.

Let us strike the earth!
"

Lenox supervises the deforestation of the surrounding area, the flattening of the terrain and irrigation via pumps, and the sowing of crops. Whilst this is going on, he selects a group of ten or so adults to construct a distillery. If any local flora is discovered to be safely edible, he begins to distill them in addition to water to create alcohol.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19