Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Pioneers - Phase 3 ~ Cooking Up a Storm  (Read 25988 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneers - Prologue
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 03:12:47 pm »

((DEFINITELY will be making a sheet soonish))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:03 pm »

Character appearance:Cyborg eyes.
et:
Name: Regalia Hawthorne.
Race:cyborg ((cybernetic eyes))
Skills:fencing and entertainment.(Each character is allowed to start with 2 Skills which they will receive a +2 towards when performing relevant Actions. Over time, these Skills can be sharpened and new Skills can be lear
Artifact:A solar powered jukebox with millions of songs!
((Gives the greatest jams increases all rolls by two but it is incrediblely heavy and can't be moved by hand.))
This better

This is better. The only question I have is the jukebox, are you saying that when it plays music it increases all rolls done in the surrounding area by +2? That's sort of broken and will lead to everyone crowding around the juxebox all the time: Need to perform a medical procedure! To the juxebox! Want to analyze a new plant? To the juxebox! Want to make some clothes? To the juxebox! Etc. It would be fine if it just did something like improved the mood levels of everyone that could hear it. That would be a useful tool, as keeping morale up for a colony is highly important, provided everyone generally likes the music; if the colony turns out to be split among country music fans and hip hop enthusiasts, a jukebox will likely be the root cause for the undoing of them :P

In this setting, yes, I'll say that the technical condition of "Child" ends at age 18, and due to medical advances, "Elder" status starts at age 75 and the average human lifespan is upwards of 100 years, note that is a typical lifespan on Earth and not necessarily what will be the average on an unexplored planet.

What would you guys like the timeframe for an average turn to be? A month? A season-cycle/quarter-year? A full year?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:37 pm »

Character appearance:Cyborg eyes.
et:
Name: Regalia Hawthorne.
Race:cyborg ((cybernetic eyes))
Skills:fencing and entertainment.(Each character is allowed to start with 2 Skills which they will receive a +2 towards when performing relevant Actions. Over time, these Skills can be sharpened and new Skills can be lear
Artifact:A solar powered jukebox with millions of songs!
((Gives the greatest jams increases all rolls by two but it is incrediblely heavy and can't be moved by hand.))
This better

This is better. The only question I have is the jukebox, are you saying that when it plays music it increases all rolls done in the surrounding area by +2? That's sort of broken and will lead to everyone crowding around the juxebox all the time: Need to perform a medical procedure! To the juxebox! Want to analyze a new plant? To the juxebox! Want to make some clothes? To the juxebox! Etc. It would be fine if it just did something like improved the mood levels of everyone that could hear it. That would be a useful tool, as keeping morale up for a colony is highly important, provided everyone generally likes the music; if the colony turns out to be split among country music fans and hip hop enthusiasts, a jukebox will likely be the root cause for the undoing of them :P

In this setting, yes, I'll say that the technical condition of "Child" ends at age 18, and due to medical advances, "Elder" status starts at age 75 and the average human lifespan is upwards of 100 years, note that is a typical lifespan on Earth and not necessarily what will be the average on an unexplored planet.

What would you guys like the timeframe for an average turn to be? A month? A season-cycle/quarter-year? A full year?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:54 pm »

I'd probably say a month, cause that gives us enough time to travel to places, but its not too long.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 03:46:32 pm »

Character appearance: Tall, scrawny, always wears blue jeans and a t-shirt of some sort. Has metal sticking out of his arms.
Name: Alex shatter
Race: Human
Skills: Unarmed combat, engineering
Artifact: Special blades in his arms he can use in combat.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 03:49:34 pm »

I'm all in for a month too. Of course if need be, we could make exceptionally longer turn.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:17 pm »

Adam Red
Appearance: There are nothing unusual in this Caucasian teenager with black hair and brown eyes.
Skills: Programming (Being bored of having no worthy opponents for games in his console he coded an AI to compete with it. AI is not sentient... or it is good at pretending) 
Artifact: Handheld game console with a powerful self-learning AI inside. AI's name is Oppo, shortened from opponent)

Is it OK?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »

Looking forward to a quick death from an alien virus.

Month is fine by me.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 04:32:52 pm »

Red is fine, companion AI/robots are acceptable Artifacts in most cases.

I want to also note that while children start with only one skill, they can learn additional skills over time like anyone else  even before adulthood; similarly, adults can learn additional skills and even Elders.

In case anyone wanted more in-depth info: Skills progress in various stages, starting out with a 50% chance at a +1 bonus to a relevant action, then a constant +1, then constant +1 and a 50% chance to get a +2, etc. Thus, everyone's starting skills are by default level 4. Every additional level gained is exponentially more difficult to achieve; anyone can achieve a level 1 Cooking with enough time and practice but only an elite handful of Level 10 cooks or higher are alive at any time.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

How will that work for more specific skills?

Take Engineering and welding. They both start with the same roll at the start, but the welding skill will increase faster and be higher, right?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 05:11:38 pm »

How will that work for more specific skills?

Take Engineering and welding. They both start with the same roll at the start, but the welding skill will increase faster and be higher, right?

That is correct, but what do you mean by "higher"?

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:25 pm »

As in, a higher level toward the end of our lives.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:05 pm »

It all depends. There's no skill decay but if you don't practice wleding that often while someone hones their engineering skill all their lives, they could be equal if not higher levels above you. It's not likely but possible.
Also, this assumes that your lives are similar in duration.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »

Do we know that it's a swamp? I was planning on making a swamp expert from the bayou

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 05:39:24 pm »

Name: Ilyena
Appearance: Static makes most people's hair stand on end; it makes Ilyena's grow or shrink. She has hair which takes on the color of the light striking it, as a result of being colored purely through diffraction. Other than this, she is about 1.7m tall, and has deeply tanned skin.
Skills: Big Game Hunting, Piezoelectrics
Artifact: Piezoelectric Bolas - a weapon of her own creation, upon contact the bolas release a burst of electricity proportional to the force of impact, as a result of the compression of the outer material. This static release also results in the deformation of a smaller internal piezoelectric crystal with a long relaxation time period, which opens a circuit to deliver a continuous electric shock to the target.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19