Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62236 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let play the smart game, and only use blatantly evil stuff after first suffering it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An engine built into the axle? What does that mean?

You know what why don't we just use a chain drive one per axle or something like that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_drive

These were used on the Mack Trucks that fueled the logistical efforts of the Allies during WW1.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
Actually if we want a light truck why not just make a Willy MB?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

Heck we got an engine for it.

Edit again:
Wait I forget were the grenades supposed to also be rifle grenades I can't quite remember and it's been a couple of pages since then.

Edit again...again:
Well a video that might give us some ideas it's about a game that's all about a realistic WW1 here's Verdun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MFwTXckfZg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:36:03 pm by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

They where intended jsut to be hand grenades, the firearms dude spent some time turning them into optional rifle grenades for free after some really nice rolls.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting engine arrangement(with one engine per axle, and located on said axle)
So do we have bad transaxles? (the transmission/gearbox, the differential, and associated components in one integrated assembly.)

Or did we get some kind of mad engine per drive shaft thing?
A mad idea that would let the truck steer al,ost on the spot by changeing the throttle of one side or the other engine.

One engine per axle is not unheard of in the world of heavy trucks and sportscars.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we remove the ability to use it as rifle-grenades?

Edit:
What is the shape of the grenade because we were expecting a cylinder I guess?

Never mind.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:57:25 pm by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With a redesign, yes. However, it doesent change anything with the grenade, the thing that lets them be used as that is the same thing you can shove a stick in.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Just wedge the end of the rifle in the stick-hole, then fire a blank through the rifle.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey would we need spend a re/design action in order to allow bundling of grenades?:

Sorry for the image it's one of the best to show what I'm talking about.

Oh and here's the link to where I found it has to do with Verdun funnily enough:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/242860/announcements/detail/115200434639280253

Edit:
Speaking of grenades here's an idea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK3_grenade
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:58:57 pm by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, there arent really any purchace areas for the wire to hold onto. And the fuse system would get in the way...
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay turn! Thanks, Aseaheru!

Now, for the turn itself:
- Pattern 808 RS-MP: 100kg of radio set is acceptable; the reliability and cost isn't. But it should work in supporting advances (100kg should be portable by four men, meaning we can get almost-real time information about advances), and on the seas. That it can't send and receive at the same time isn't a surprise; and, after all, it's still morse. Recommendation: Produce.

- Mule truck: Arglblargl. The one most important advance of this turn hasn't advanced. Probably due to the attempt to use our already-existing engines. Damn, damn, damn. Recommendation: Highest priority design project.

- Uniform update: Well, at least it's not red and blue anymore?

- Grenades: Rifle grenades is nice, gives us additional range. The high-explosive variants are good, fragmentation being poor is a downside, as is the weight. On the other hand, it being built by ammo industries is very good.

- Mortar round: ...

- Training centre: ...

- Truck complex: Yay! This'll give us a production of 300 (!) Pattern 807 engines per turn, plus no vehicles at all because the truck design failed. Recommend producing artillery guns on the vehicle lines instead, to get something out of it at least.

- General factory: ...

- New designs: The make of 792 6" naval gun looks nice, and we should be able to use it as both heavy artillery and coastal defense. We can also use it as a base for our own design. The mortar seems fairly useless, being less mobile and having the same range as the 6" naval gun. The artillery tractor, on the other hand, seems nice, though the engine used won't be that useful - it's ten times the cost of our 807 engine, at only 1.5 times the power.

- GM notes on the rifle: This is not that unexpected. We might think about designing a new rifle, or switching most of our production to the Trench Broom.

- Resources: They look fine, except for the oil, steel components and aluminum. Since we can assume the enemy to have similar resources, sea control becomes more important.

- Edit: Helmets: Well, at 98000, we should have enough for now.

Summary: Blargh. Fairly bad rolls, apparently.

Edit:
Actually if we want a light truck why not just make a Willy MB?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

Heck we got an engine for it.
A very good point.
I'm unsure whether to go for such a lighter "truck" (probably a carrying capacity of half a ton at most) or continue on the Mule, which appears to be almost finished, with a higher carrying capacity.

They where intended jsut to be hand grenades, the firearms dude spent some time turning them into optional rifle grenades for free after some really nice rolls.
Awesome!

Hey would we need spend a re/design action in order to allow bundling of grenades?:
Geballte Ladung-style? That might work; although mostly effective against armoured vehicles. Let's keep it in mind for the redesign.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:43:55 am by 3_14159 »

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the Willy MB equivalent idea well why not have both it and the Mule?

Perhaps switching to a chain drive if necessary as I said like with the Mack Trucks that served during the great war but only if the engine per axle continues to be fruitless.

Funnily enough if that does happen we'd end up with a WW2 vehicle serving with a WW1 vehicles at least pseudoly.

Edit:
An another point with the Willy is that it was a utility vehicle and was highly adaptable there was:
-Up-Armored:

-Rocket Artillery:

-Amphibious Capability:

An likely many more.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:25:09 am by Slick »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the Willy MB equivalent idea well why not have both it and the Mule?
Definitely; the jeep will be a very nice scouting and medical transport addition. On the other hand, I'd rather we concentrate on a single design this turn.

-Rocket Artillery:
I had not known about these, interesting find! Apparently, there was also a Soviet variant of these mounting their own rockets.

Lastly: Updated the Arms Race Summary Doc with all the new designs.

Now, writing up all the design ideas we had that I remember:
- Tank, either machine-gun armed or 40mm auto-cannon-armed
- 40mm quick-fire cannon
- Swordfish upgrade
- finish mule truck
- Jeep equivalent
- New standard rifle
- Small torpedo boat
- Improved infantry equipment
- Destroyer
- finish mortar round redesign

- Ammunition design facility
- Training facility
- Airfield/Plane design facility
- Electronics factory

Anything I forgot? What do you think are the most important designs for this turn?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

I would note that upping production on the Trench Broom is a good plan if we want it to matter whatsoever, 300 guns in the hands of random infantrymen is meaningless on a war of this scale. Add to that the current rifle just having got considerably less useful at close range.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would note that upping production on the Trench Broom is a good plan if we want it to matter whatsoever, 300 guns in the hands of random infantrymen is meaningless on a war of this scale. Add to that the current rifle just having got considerably less useful at close range.
Agreed. Maybe even do a revision on it? We have firearm engineers to spare.

@Aseaheru: I know I asked it before, but I forgot the answer: Do firearms engineer have a speciality in artillery/large-calibre guns, too?

@Aseaheru: Looking over the production, I noticed the following: The helmets should probably be 9,800 (nine thousand eight hundred) instead of 98,000 (ninety-eight thousand). The four dispersed 300pp factories are, to my knowledge, small-arms factories, as is the 600pp production line in the core. I also forgot to account for one of the 250pp offsite factories in the production plan.

Edit:@Aseaheru: Another question; how many effective PP does a vehicle production line have when not producing vehicles?

Edit 2:@Aseaheru: I had the idea of adapting the artillery tractor to our own Pattern 807 engine. Ideally, I'd like to set one or multiple of the vehicle production lines to produce the artillery tractor (without engines), and the engine line to the Pattern 807. Once the engineers have designed the - simple - adaption, the factories would then put the engines into the tractors. This'd reduce overall production numbers, but allow us to actually produce them with the new engines. Is this even a game-legal idea?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:54:12 am by 3_14159 »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Ouch, it looks like we got bad rolls in all the places that really mattered...

The Mule failing is particularly painful, we need transport... Designing a jeep would be nice, but not as nice as the Mule. Unless... Unless we design a trailer. (Let's call our jeep the LUV (Light Utility Vehicle), just for fun. Our troops need lots of LUV)

I suggest we spend this turn fixing all the things that went wrong,building more production, maybe design a proper new rifle, maybe even work on the LUV.

If we do go for a new rifle I propose we use a 10 round single stack box mag with a semi-auto action of some kind. Simple and reliable.

+1 to more trench brooms.
+1 to adapting the 807 engine for use in the artillery tractor (if we can).
+1 to fixing the swordfish
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49