Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62314 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(STARTING 808)
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:51 am »

Closer to a quarter, you share this part of the continent with five other nations who arent doing much.

On the subject of the ramble, that would require one of two things: A computer program doing everything, or an idiot savant running things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:46 pm »

Or a number of people similar to the number of people involved in an individual team who are very well coordinated and invested in the game on the level of Einstein Roulette probably.

So it could happen, but probably not for a good long while.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2016, 05:05:45 pm »

Not untill someone writes up a computer program to do the bulk of the work of an update.
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 08, 2016, 05:36:32 pm »

Yeah, that would simplify a ton of things. Oh well, work for anothet day.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »

So anything we're waiting on turn wise? Do we need more people to vote?

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2016, 11:29:18 pm »

Hey I just realized something considering how much power we managed to get out of that engine we can more or less have a standardized engine for everything light tank sized and under. Maintenance across vehicles will also likely be relatively simple considering how cheap and reliable it is.   

Edit-
Well I just looked up handgun rounds on wikipedia and well how common is the Jupiter pistol? because the closest round I found is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Action_Express
Edit...again-
Just thought of something do you think making some form of watches available to our soldiers or at the least officers be a worthwhile endeavor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_military_watches
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-W-46374
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:13:28 am by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2016, 01:11:07 am »

I dont understand what you are asking Slick.

Turn is waiting on the allied nations stuff, which is partially waiting on me doing stuff and on two brave volunteers doing stuff.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2016, 01:14:38 am »

Sorry just rambling on about a few ideas in my head.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2016, 02:34:54 am »

To have a sense of how common the Jupiter pistol is, look at our last equipment stocks update and know that we have around 55,000 personnel total spread among all branches.

I believe it was a general question to draw attention to the fact that our automatic pistols apparently have a humongous munition size which correlates to its high power, which is listed with the ammunition but is something that is likely glossed over. We should really get that jacketed.

I think that something you should do Slick is to gather together a collection of improvements, like the watch and identifying tags, and create an Additional Infantry Equipment design or two. Three or four things each. They will definitely improve troop effectiveness in a variety of ways, and having them collected together into designs for us to be able to more easily vote on will be quite useful. If you need ideas, the standard kit for our soldiers at the moment is in the OP. We should be adding a new helmet to that once this new production phase goes out, so you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Our engine does have quite a lot of practical applications yeah, and because it's so small and light, we can relatively easily mount multiple engines in the same vehicle to increase power to an extent.

Turn is waiting on the allied nations stuff, which is partially waiting on me doing stuff and on two brave volunteers doing stuff.

That is entirely reasonable. Thanks for the update on that!

@Airship: So I finally googled what an airship is. I enjoy the humor of us discussing about how Zeppelins are probably not the best idea for us to invest in and our allies giving us Zeppelin designs. I mean, they might not be ridged structure airships, but Zeppelins are what we know the idea of a military blimp as anyway. Apparently if we can get our hands on some sort of really rare noble gas instead of hydrogen, it could work out really well if it wasn't for the fact that the Monarchy is likely to have competent HE artillery ammunition this turn. Still, we'll have to wait for the design before making a commitment either way on that. Who knows, we might get a helium loaded metal ballon coated water ballast scout airship with a really neato propulsion system. With the optics we're about to get as well, that could work out quite dandily.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2016, 04:12:52 am »

Actually airships depending on their design are actually quite safe barring unforeseen problems in fact hydrogen based lift airships are actually quite safe and aren't likely to explode unless the hydrogen to oxygen ratio reaches certain levels.

Edit-
If we do pursue the avenue of airships here's a rather interesting one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron-class_airship
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:16:01 am by Slick »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2016, 11:34:56 am »

The problem that I have with airships is that all it would really take is for one solid hit with a HE artillery round to wreck the structure of the balloon. Plus the explosion has a decent chance to hit the fuel cells, which means that in a best case scenario, they are now leaking with their surroundings fairly damaged so that patching them would be particularly difficult.

This is solved by having our airships exist at a height outside of their artillery range (13km high should work), but at that height there isn't much they can do besides observe. With radio and the optics we are about to get, that could work out quite well, but we don't have the solid numbers yet to determine what we can do with any of our new designs.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2016, 11:40:10 am »

What doomed zeppelins IRL was their poor ability to handle storms, and the fact that most manufacturers saw no problem with coating them in highly flammable substances. The danger of hydrogen is greatly overstated (although helium is even safer obviously). By mounting some downward firing cannons and flying high we may be able to make some use of them... Obviously this depends on what kind of optic systems we get from our allies (some kind of spotting scope that we can rig into an aerial artillery sight would be ideal).

EDIT: We could also use zeppelins as transports, a fast way to move light tanks and boats forward. For example, by slinging a Swordfish under a (large enough) zeplin we could have a fast(er) hit and run sea force... Almost as good would be using them for at-sea resupply (and this would work with smaller airships). I suggest if we really want heavy lift air logistics we look at slightly heavier than air lifting body air ships. They need to keep moving to stay up, but they perform better in bad weather and can carry a lot more with less lifting gas.

Not untill someone writes up a computer program to do the bulk of the work of an update.

What all is involved? I am a programmer, so I may be able to whip up some calculators to help you out...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:46:09 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2016, 11:59:58 am »

Many lighter than air airships had atleast some way to generate a bit extra lift by going forward.

And also, on the storm subject, the main problem is the weight of the rain. Theres an example given a fair amount when talking about the Hindenburg Disaster (specifically, when disputing/supporting the lightning hypothesis) about the effect, or lack of effect, on hydrogen-filled airships. Indeed, I believe that in one movie on it (on Netflix, I think) it mentions that it encountered a storm in the Atlantic, where the only damage was loss of altitude from the several tons of water on the envelope.

As for what the stuff involves, mostly just figuring out numbers, running the many dice rolls needed to see how hard it is, how the engineers do, various aspects of the design, and any advancement of the engineers working on it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »

The problem that I have with airships is that all it would really take is for one solid hit with a HE artillery round to wreck the structure of the balloon. Plus the explosion has a decent chance to hit the fuel cells, which means that in a best case scenario, they are now leaking with their surroundings fairly damaged so that patching them would be particularly difficult.
I know that at least some airships had a bunch of smaller balloons inside the outer shell, which could probably help with that.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »

All rigid airships and almost all semi-rigid designs have more than one gascell, yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49