Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62295 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(STARTING 808)
« Reply #255 on: July 05, 2016, 06:39:28 pm »

In reality, there were actually several seemingly-viable attempts to make light mortar warheads and hand grenades interchangeable. That might be an interesting angle to take.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 05, 2016, 07:04:39 pm »

Not much of a HE load.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 05, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »

Not much of a HE load.

Which is the same problem we've had before with ammunition. I'm tempted to look into making a munitions facility along the lines of us making a range field, so we can get the loads we want.

Is there anything to prevent us from taking the warhead component, reworking the fuse, adapting it as a grenade or reworking it into the Pattern listed here?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 05, 2016, 07:41:58 pm »

With some work, no, there are no issues with doing that.
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 05, 2016, 07:46:34 pm »

So if we take the two munitions engineers and a basic engineer, we probably wouldn't have any problem upgrading the warheads for better HE deployment and then convert that over to the frag grenade design I'd guess. Any opposed?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »

Not much of a HE load.

Yeah, to be clear, the example I was thinking of was a 57mm knee mortar, not an 80mm multi-component crew-served weapon.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2016, 08:22:30 pm »

Not much of a HE load.

Yeah, to be clear, the example I was thinking of was a 57mm knee mortar, not an 80mm multi-component crew-served weapon.

That just means that the stick for throwing will be very useful. Plus the grenades will be quite powerful.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »

I mean, heavy grenades have a few issues, but yes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 06, 2016, 01:11:34 am »

We can use it as the base for the grenade and then refine it some before production as well. While grenades are relatively simple, having a base to refine from should produce better results as well probably.

A thing I was remined of. Zeppelins existed. They have their flaws, but they are a mobile weapons platform. Direct fire artillery with HE might well counter it very effectively, but they did indeed exist at one point in time. I don't know if the enemy will happen upon this realization and attempt to implement it, but it could be something that they attempt.

We personally shouldn't invest resources into development of zeppelins, because we are honestly in a much better position to do airplanes, what with that super light super efficient engine of ours, but I felt the urge to mention their existence. Plus if they botch an intel roll, this might get put into consideration for a thing we're working on.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2016, 03:16:07 am »

Quite so. Our mortar rounds should be about four kilos, while the grenades are less than one. That makes throwing much more difficult.

A thing I was remined of. Zeppelins existed. They have their flaws, but they are a mobile weapons platform. Direct fire artillery with HE might well counter it very effectively, but they did indeed exist at one point in time. I don't know if the enemy will happen upon this realization and attempt to implement it, but it could be something that they attempt.
Or, indeed, incendiary shells. Both works.

We personally shouldn't invest resources into development of zeppelins, because we are honestly in a much better position to do airplanes, what with that super light super efficient engine of ours, but I felt the urge to mention their existence.
Agreed. I'd like to try for an aircraft design next turn. Hm, we might need to build an airfield first, though.

Design:
- Radio-Set, Man-portable
- Mule Truck
- Camouflage uniforms
- Infantry equipment
- Frag Grenade
- Sea Mine
- Phosphorus, White
- Mortar Shells

Industrial
- Training program
- Truck factory
- General-purpose factory
- Artillery factory

So, I've been thinking about the engineering assignments for things we seem to be in agreement about. I have not managed to assign enough people to infantry equipment; we could assign the two newbies from the radio set and mule truck, though.
Thoughts?
Also, we could produce an artillery factory instead of a General Purpose factory: We currently have three general purpose lines assigned to artillery. By producing an artillery factory with 3x300 production lines, we can both increase our artillery production slightly (by assigning stuff to that instead of the current 250pp lines) and free the GP lines for other stuff.

- Radio-Set, Man-Portable (3B1N)
    1 basic naval engineer
    2x Basic Engineer
    1x Newbie

- Mule Truck (4B1N1G)
    1 basic armor engineer
    3x Basic Engineer
    1x Newbie
    1 good engineer

- Camouflage Uniforms (1B1N)
    1x Basic Engineer
    1x Newbie

- Grenade (1B1U, 1xS)
    1 basic munitions engineer
    1 amazingly talented but untrained firearms engineer

- Mortar Rounds (1U, 2B, 1xS)
    1 untrained munitions engineer
    2 talented basic firearms engineers

- Training Program (3B2N)
    2x Basic Engineer
    1 basic firearms engineers
    2x Newbie

- Truck Factory: 1x 300pp engine line, 3x 300pp vehicle line (1U1B2N, 1xS)
    1 untrained architect
    1 basic engineers
    2x Newbie

- General Purpose Factory (2B2N)
    2x Basic Engineer
    2x Newbie

And the production proposal again:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 06, 2016, 10:04:08 am »

I would like to get out the infantry equipment this turn, but I can't really figure out a configuration that covers all the things there. I kind of want to trade the good engineer with a basic engineer so that the Training Program has the good engineer, but stacking the Mule like it is will almost certainly provide a quality vehicle. So really nothing to say here.

@Factories: I agree, producing factories speced for Artillery will let the general factories focus on other things. However, I get the feeling that we're going to be bouncing our general factories around a fair amount in the upcoming turns as we start to get into more and more designs and having those additional general purpose factories now will be helpful for that. Granted, the only difference between specing them for Artillery now and making Artillery factories next turn is whether to use the General Factory to produce Ratios during that turn. So if we're planning to do that then there really isn't a difference between a line of general factories and a line of artillery factories.

At the current rate, I think we should look into making something like 3 factories/dry docks/whatevers a turn to keep up with increasing production demands. We've lucked out with some incredibly cheap and efficient designs, but that probably won't hold forever.

Basically, I vote for Pi's Plan. I'd like to try other things, but we don't have the man power to handle all of that yet and this plan prioritizes the more important aspects of what we need done while allowing a few other important designs to begin development. More likely than not, we may need to revise a design or two, but I think this is a good plan.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2016, 09:23:08 pm »

Thats two votes plan Pi, w/ attached production details.

In other news, as a slight spoiler for next turn, your allies are going to be providing their designs for you guys to use. These include a number of interesting toys, such as optical systems and a armored car from the southern ally and some form of airship from the north. Should prove interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2016, 10:14:39 pm »

Hi I just got an account on this site because of how interesting this game looks so is it okay if I join in and I don't know throw a few ideas out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:06:55 am by Slick »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2016, 01:25:57 am »

Hi I just got an account on this site because of how interesting this game looks so is it okay if I join in and I don't know throw a few ideas out.

Shouldn't be a problem I believe. The more the merrier and all that. If you have any thoughts about what's going on, things we might have missed, or for the future, please feel free to share!

@Spoilers: That's going to be quite useful I think. Do the designs also cover the component designs? Like are we just getting the car design or did it come with a design for an engine? How involved are our allies in the war? Are they providing economic support and/or are directly involved in the fighting, or is it more subtle things like design sharing?

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 07, 2016, 02:07:24 am »

Well mildmannered depending on the circumstances next turn perhaps we could work on an equivalent of the Ford 3-ton tank...um am I allowed to post links I'm still getting used to the idea of posting on a forum and it might help me get the point across. -Edit-                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Well here's the vehicle I'm talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_3-Ton_M1918
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:04:22 am by Slick »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 49