Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62256 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

So, what exactly do these mean(Besides what its being done to)? I need it for the rest of the update.

Small-arms factory (3B, 1U, 4xS)
    Expand Drydock production (1U, 1xS)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to comment on the actual turn later.

Small-arms factory (3B, 1U, 4xS)
    Expand Drydock production (1U, 1xS)
These are Small-Arms factory, which has four engineers assigned to it: Three basic (3B), one untrained (1U). Four of them (4xS) are also specialized. The Expanded Drydock production has one untrained engineer assigned to it, who is also specialized. I've left those in from my assignment planning.
Specifically, I'd like the following:
Small-Arms Factory:
    1. Expand the 575pp line to 600pp. Small effect, but it eliminates all non-integer numbers from our production.
    2. Build 4x 300pp line factories, distributed over the country. (1U 1B 1N 2xS were able to produce 575pp, so more and better-trained people should be able build that).

Drydock:
    Expand the drydock to be able to produce 500t (i.e. two Swordfish) per year.

For the drydock: If I understood you correctly, the drydock's production numbers are simply tons per year, i.e. if we build a battleship dock of 45,000t, we'd be able to produce 180 Swordfishes per year with it. It might be a good idea to separate it into maximum tonnage and tons per year.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW

I don't have the experience or knowledge in regards to design production and this game that some of you have, so I will probably operate on an idea suggestion and voting stasis.

Is our government employing espionage? If so, are we getting any reports from them about enemy designs? Are there any weapons in the field being captured and if so can we get our hands on them?

How does being untrained affect our specialized engineers? Are we able to sit them down for a year for increased efficiency from them later on? Is there a FAQ?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allright, its what you actually wanted that I needed.

Welcome to the newbie! To answer your questions:
-Yes
-Not right now, due to bad rolls
-Not yet, due to lack of forward advancement
-Of course
-They have slightly worse rolls
-All engineers can have that done to them, in one way or another.
-Of course not. What, did you think this was organized? [/mockhorror]
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the responses!

Is our government employing counter espionage techniques and are we able to design things to help them in their efforts? I presume yes on both counts but am mentioning it for clarity.

It might be a decent idea to look into setting up a training program so that we can turn newbies into basic engineers at a decent pace, but we'd almost certainly need to wait until our next batch of engineers to have the personnel to make that worth while.

Are we able to do our own recruiting to gain more engineers/newbies/lackeys? If we can get ahead of our opponents in regards to numbers that'll provide us quite the edge for getting things done.

Are we in a position to negotiate with neutral states to gain additional resources? Trading designs that are a good three or four generations old could get us something, though there would be a risk of those older designs falling into enemy hands.

On that note, as we are dictating what our factories produce, we could see about negotiating with a neutral state to produce something for them in exchange for resources and/or personnel. Granted, we'd need to run that by our bosses to avoid infuriating them, but it could prove profitable. A lot more work on your part, but profitable.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have the experience or knowledge in regards to design production and this game that some of you have, so I will probably operate on an idea suggestion and voting stasis.
Welcome!
And don't worry about lacking knowledge, it's (mostly) running on real world logic.

Are we able to sit them down for a year for increased efficiency from them later on?
It might be a decent idea to look into setting up a training program so that we can turn newbies into basic engineers at a decent pace, but we'd almost certainly need to wait until our next batch of engineers to have the personnel to make that worth while.
Very good point. I completely forgot about building an engineering academy.

Now, for the turn:

The war this year has taken a turn for the destructive, with both sides wheeling out modern artillery pieces. For the Republic, their piece is the Pattern 806 "Ratio" field gun, capable of firing at a distance or delivering witheringly accurate fire in a direct fire role. The Monarchy has wheeled out their quick-fire "striker" field gun, lobbing 25lb shells at targets. Of them, the "ratio" is by far the best in direct fire roles, even with the Strikers purpose designed ammunition for the job(a shrapnel shell that turns it into a giant shotgun), while both guns are let down by poor HE performance at range. According to rumors, both sides have been hard at work attempting to correct this deficiency.
Hm. We have the advantage in firepower, but them fielding a modern-ish artillery gun is definitely a problem. From what I see, they probably have a slightly bigger calibre (about 90mm vs our 75mm), which means longer range, slower firing rate and heavier artillery piece. With better HE performance, we'll probably stay competitive.

In addition to this, Republic shock troops have been attacking trenches at short range with their recently produced pattern 803 Trench Broom(their second try at such a weapon), a rapid fire weapon firing the 10x30mm "special" round and their more prevalent Jupiter pistols. However, these attacks have been largely countered by the rapid deployment of machineguns and infantry via truck(least, when said trucks are not shifting about field guns) while the Republican forces have largely been unable to move up reinforcements to exploit these gaps in the lines.
We need trucks. Or trains. Something something logistics.
On the other hand, the Trench Broom seems to work nicely.

Likewise, Republican forces have begun producing their own machineguns that have made the Monarchy unable to storm Republican trenches.
Very good.

At sea, the two initial Republican naval vessels have been joined by two more, both equipped with torpedo launchers (single tubes, one on each side). These have been hammering ports and any ships unlucky enough to find them, and have been noted to be able to hit a single target with their guns while making the extreme maneuvers necessary to get off both tubes. At the same time, what arty has been able to be spared from the front is so thinned out as to be almsot useless.
We're definitely ahead on sea!
I wonder what is happening there, though - it seems as if they decided that investing more resources into the navy would be useless since we share a land border, and tried to counter that by trying to deploy some artillery on the coasts. If so, they seem to pay for it.
With the Swordfish B (mounting our field gun) we may actually be able to shell some  parts of their country, mostly for propaganda value.

So, to recap: War on land is messy trench warfare with one side equipped with helmets and using trucks to bring up some reinforcements and the other side using deadly direct fire arty(when they can bring it up fast enough) and proto-SMGs. At sea, its a curb stomp for the Republic.
Nice.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We already had plans for trucks in the works and once we see how the engine works we should be able to get better logistics sorted out.

We seem to be doing well on the weaponry front at the moment. If the results from this past design turn don't require us to do too much back tracking, we could be in a position to use most of our engineers to work on developing infrastructure and logistics this next turn.

If such is the case, I'm thinking another 4x300pp line of factories speced for truck generation (after we finish designing the truck as we currently only have the engine) and another line of 4x300pp for either general use or throwing more of a specifc weapon out there (if we push our artillery and ammunition production further it could push our current advantage there to greater heights) would work out quite well for resolving our deployment issues. If we can get a jump start on radios (emitters, receivers, encoders, decoders, and possibly towers that also do the previous, though that might need to wait a few turns for development. Morse code works fine for now as any upgrade is good, though vocals would be nice eventually.), that would allow for a great deal of logistical progress and coordination.

Once we have that sorted, trains would be a decent idea for instate redeployment and distribution, but I have a feeling that we'll use up most of our engineers working on the above.

Or we could also work on the engineer academy this upcoming turn in exchange for waiting on one of the previous suggestions. Getting that jump started would also allow for later things to progress much more smoothly.

Edit: You may have been joking about building a 45,000t drydock, but another avenue we could pursue is doubling down on our ship production, development, and deployment (a new harbor might be achievable) and completely devastating anything they have in reach of the shore, allowing for backdoor marine deployments to get around the current trench warfare.

Edit2: There are several high value targets within one or two tiles of the coast, including what appears to be a factory. If we're able to strike those then that would provide us a signficant advantage.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:51:26 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most of what you said meshes well with my priorities. A few more comments:
We seem to be doing well on the weaponry front at the moment. If the results from this past design turn don't require us to do too much back tracking, we could be in a position to use most of our engineers to work on developing infrastructure and logistics this next turn.
This is a good idea, yes. Several new factory lines would be nice. On the other hand, we could also use them to design a few more things that are useful - radio, for example, or a first prototype plane.

If such is the case, I'm thinking another 4x300pp line of factories speced for truck generation (after we finish designing the truck as we currently only have the engine) and another line of 4x300pp for either general use or throwing more of a specifc weapon out there (if we push our artillery and ammunition production further it could push our current advantage there to greater heights) would work out quite well for resolving our deployment issues.
Definitely, although the truck factory is going to need production lines for engines and for the trucks themselves.

If we can get a jump start on radios (emitters, receivers, encoders, decoders, and possibly towers that also do the previous, though that might need to wait a few turns for development. Morse code works fine for now as any upgrade is good, though vocals would be nice eventually.), that would allow for a great deal of logistical progress and coordination.
I agree. They would allow an independence of field telephones, allow actual coordination between artillery and troops on a level better than "We'll begin firing at 11:00, and stop firing two hours later", allow updates on gains to filter back to HQ to dispatch reserves, and much more. On the naval side, upgrading the Swordfish with radios means they can actually scout.
Also, I'm unsure about how Aseaheru will handle encryption/decryption - possibly establishing a department for that is enough.

Once we have that sorted, trains would be a decent idea for instate redeployment and distribution, but I have a feeling that we'll use up most of our engineers working on the above.
I am not sure whether that's handled outside of our scope. Aseaheru?

Or we could also work on the engineer academy this upcoming turn in exchange for waiting on one of the previous suggestions. Getting that jump started would also allow for later things to progress much more smoothly.
Agreed. We'll have to see how the turn turns out.

Edit: You may have been joking about building a 45,000t drydock, but another avenue we could pursue is doubling down on our ship production, development, and deployment (a new harbor might be achievable) and completely devastating anything they have in reach of the shore, allowing for backdoor marine deployments to get around the current trench warfare.

Edit2: There are several high value targets within one or two tiles of the coast, including what appears to be a factory. If we're able to strike those then that would provide us a signficant advantage.
Hm. Generally speaking, I'm sceptical of naval landings, since they allow the enemy to mass troops and retain a large logistical advantage. If we manage to keep naval superiority, it's probably worth a try.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not sure whether that's handled outside of our scope. Aseaheru?

I'm not quite sure what the question is and realize that my use of in/entra/extra may need work. What I meant to say is that once we have trains figured out and built, it will allow resources within our state to be juggled around with signficantly more efficiency.

@Trucks in factories: I meant the inclusion of engine production with the trucks, but considering how we deployed our ships without torpedoes I am more than happy to be caught on that.

@Encryption&Decryption: It might be enough, but I figured including that would be prudent. Plus designing machinery that improves upon the department's ability to do so would probably make such communication more effective and efficient.

@Naval Strikes: Those are entirely reasonable concerns. Such a mobilization could be done as a feint to allow the trench lines to better engage or to act as cover to allow our fleet to strike elsewhere. This is all presuming that the enemy isn't working on depth charges or something to act as a passive or active resistance against our ships and we've just been particularly lucky in avoiding them so far.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My suggestion would be to make a much larger drydock for ships at least four times larger then our current one.  We can then create troop landing craft, destroyers and cargo transport ships.  With those combined we could directly assault and seize their coastal cities if they do not put more into naval warfare.

For the trucks we should make a basic transport design, but I think making a heavier truck engine and an armored combat transport or machine gun truck would be a good idea.  We could also make a construction vehicle for heavier towing and fortifying.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(STARTING 808)
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2016, 09:35:59 pm »

Well, here we go. Our Generals report that the only reason our armies are not driving on their capital is due to our lack of anything to, well, drive. Particularly over their trenches.

So, lets begin with what we did do this year.

To begin with, we have the Pattern 807 Field Helmet, which is constructed out of a single piece of steel and a cloth inner. The outer structure of the helmet is face hardened and made out of a light weight but high strength helmet that results in being able to stop one of our rifle rounds at medium to long ranges, and can stop a round from a Jupiter at anything other than close range. However, its design can get in the way of a soldiers movement, particularly while crawling. This is, in part, due to the slight "spongyness" of the metallic section's suspension over the inner part.
 Anyways, the helmet comes painted in a flat, earth like tone, and is also fitted with a net, into which small bits of foliage or cloth can be affixed to lessen a soldiers ability to be seen. The helmet is also quite cheap to produce.

Next up, we have a set of new shells for our field gun, consisting of HE(in two forms), a useful AP round, and a illumination round. Sadly, our engineers where unable to find a smoke producing agent they felt safe with. Anyways, the HE shell consists of a standard shell body with not inconsiderable power and a choice of two detonators screwed on the rear. One is for impact, and detonates when the shell is stopped, and the second is a quickly-adjustable timed fuse.
 The AP shell, which is still just pure AP with no high explosive within it(something that our navy would rather have), is able to penetrate a considerable amount of armor(upwards of 20cm), due to the fact that all that is fired is a small rod of highly dense material. The hole it leaves is small, but hopefully it will fail to penetrate the back of whatever its fired at and bounces around inside. This is now termed APDS by our engineers.
 Finally, we have our illumination round, which is able to light up a considerable area for about 150 seconds.
 And if all that was not good enough, making the shells is cheaper than ever before.

And now, the 55hp gasoline engine we developed, a four stroke, four cylinder engine that is absolutely minuscule, runs whenever one wants it to, and is shockingly cheap. One of the engineers assigned to this mentioned something about it to  someone in a letter and since then the number of requests from private firms(particularly ones that make motorcycles) has skyrocketed.
Congrats, you have something from 1965 here
 Following in our design line up, I present the Pattern 807 Mortar of 80mm, a fantastically strong, quick to set up, accurate, long ranged and cheap mortar that has a drawback only in its weight, which is on the heavy side. To cope with this, the weapon is designed to travel as three segments consisting of the barrel, the bipod, and the base plate.
 The shells for the weapon are, as is seemingly standard, on the pitiful side. Now, the shell consists of one of two warheads, mounted on a finned shaft. Up to three additional propellant charges can be fitted to this shaft, and one is contained within. The expensive part of the shells are the warheads themselves, which come in HE and Fragmentation.

Following this, we have the Swordfish Type B development, which consists of taking the twin-mount turret off and putting a new one for a 75mm cannon on. The end result is a far slower turning turret that can hold our field gun along with a (rudimentary) range finder(consisting of the iron sights on the weapon being fitted with a multi-prong arrangement representing the width of a man at different ranges).

Finally, we built some new factories, expanded another, and added another slip to the drydock. The appropriate section has been modified to address these changes.

Spoiler: Designs of 807 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment Stocks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:17:58 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »

So if I understand this correctly, the upgrade to turn the on site dry dock into one 500 ton got rolled as creating another 300 ton creation area within the same space?

Reaction to how I understand this to be a fantastic set of rolls well beyond my expectations to be upcoming when I can process what just happened.

Edit: The reaction:  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So I'm just going to talk about things we're going to want to redesign and the things we might want to redesign.

So the two areas I see as necessary redesign are Pattern of 807 80mmM shells and the Swordfish Type B. Granted, the Swordfish is operating unopposed at the moment, but we don't want to leave gaps in it.

For the shells, we can have our two munitions engineers (the untrained one and the basic one), a basic engineer, and let's say three newbies work on it. The should probably allow us to get it sorted out how we want. (Using 1 untrained munitions engineer, 1 basic munitions engineer, 1 basic engineer, 3 newbies)

For the Swordfish Type B, the problem seems to be the mounting system for the new artillery piece on it. Best I can gather, it's probably lacking either the electricity to move the cannon at the rate it was before (because greater weight) or whatever the proper term for the mechanical aspects that the power goes into to cause the movement not being strong enough (because greater weight). The solution of course is to upgrade both of those things. So if we have the 1 basic naval engineer, the 2 talented basic firearms engineers (they deal with smaller things generally, but they should still have some idea of how this interacts with the artillery), and 3 newbies, it should get sorted out real quick. And if they figure out how to improve the rangefinder and/or how to adapt it to our land base artillery while they're working on that, cool, if not, then that's cool too. Once we get that sorted out, I purpose we spend the turn after this one doing some retrofitting to our existing Swordfish into the newest model. I think we should hold off on producing the Type B as part of the effectiveness of the Swordfish is that it's able to fire a cannon accurately while maneuvering to fire another torpedo. Once we have the gear we want for it sorted out (like the radio), we can bring them all back into port to be retrofitted to the latest design. (Using 1 basic naval engineer, 2 talented basic firearms engineers, 3 newbies)

That leaves us with 3 newbies, 1 untrained architect, 10 basic engineers, 1 basic armor engineer, 1 basic firearms engineer, 1 amazingly talented but untrained firearms engineer, and 1 good engineer for work on anything and everything else we'd like to do.

So we set about to make an electric motor and ended up with a gasoline fueled efficient beyond belief motor. My last some 30 minutes of attempted research are not really applicable to this now. Anyone have any idea how older gasoline engine systems worked?

Relisting things that have been suggested for (with some expansions for specific aspects of the end design) this design phase:
  Radio:
    Emitter: The thing that sends out the signal
    Receiver: The thing that receivers the signal
    Encoder: The thing that makes the new department of code development's job of encoding messages easier
    Decoder: The thing I'm not going to type out
    Radio Tower: The above in a system that covers a much larger area.
  Truck:
    Chassis: The frame of the truck
    Axle:
    Wheels:
    Drivetrain*: the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels
    Other stuff?
  Factories:
    General:
    Drydock:
    Harbor:
    Engineer Academy:
  Train:
    I'm not even going to start. If it gains traction someone else can go about figuring out the various complexities of how to fully construct a train.
*So drivetrains are complicated. Pick a type of transmission and then we can figure out exactly how complicated it is.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:47:04 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2016, 12:41:14 am »

Have a scuttlebutt report on their stuff, as far as we can tell about it in any event!

Their main rifle is a ten-shot, bolt action(cock on close, rear lugs) with non-adjustable iron sights. It is 42 inches long, weighs round about eight and a half pounds, and it looks as though the magazine was intended to be detachable but that it was decided to lock in place. In addition, its bayonet lugs appear to have been an afterthought.

Their helmet is a steel shell supported(with a bit of a gap) by a cloth and leather inner, with netting that goes over the whole thing.

Their machinegun is watercooled, belt fed, and has long range ironsights weigh in in at about 45lb. it is the same length as their rifle.

Their pistols are a slightly modified form of their vintage pistol, the only change being that the shape of the chambers(and the ammunition) is such that it is faster to reload. For a pinfire, anyways. Still blackpowder, still for officers.

Their field pieces appear to have a range of 13000 yards, fire 25lb shells, and dont quite have all the range tables they need yet. Their shells are also low powered, but that is something they are apparently working on.

From what we have been able to get off of some officers, they developed a form of body armor that they never decided to actually produce. However, private companies have been making knockoffs for sale to officers.

They have a truck, which uses a diesel engine (which appears quite advanced, it produces roughly 100hp and is smaller than a horse) and weighs in at 2.5 ton. Apparently, its something of a workhorse, able to haul about four tons of stuff. They dont have that many of them, and thus mostly use them to haul around big things, like artillery. Efforts are being made to make them cheaper, according to scuttlebutt anyways.

Theres alot of muttering about a ship designed to blow our TBDs out of the water, along with a torpedo system for ports to use.
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2016, 01:42:26 am »

Looking at the scuttlebutt, I'm not particularly concerned about their small arms or artillery due to what the field has to say about it. Our biggest concern in that area is being able to mobilize our troops and artillery into position. Which is what we're already working on.

Specifically @Artillery: They seem to have a heavier load and a slightly longer range, but our accuracy seems to be smoking them.

The body armor is a shrug. They apparently haven't been able to make it work for them yet and it has minimal deployment, so it isn't really affecting anything.

That engine tho. Diesel powered, almost double what we just made in HP, and weighs as much as an adult male giraffe. And here I thought we'd just jumped ahead of them in that department. We can counter size with quantity though, especially at 1pp a pop. Maybe 2 trucks per Ratio can sort that out. Or two engines per truck. We can just stick a pin in that idea for later design periods when we're not trying to get out a functioning truck first.

Well it seems that we've managed to jump straight over the torpedo boat design by counter picking it from the start. We have a mobile ship that within 2 design turns should be able to be in communication with our own fleet with ease as well as a 10km engagement range. Unless they make super torpedos that can travel something like 5 km/minute, we should be fine from whatever they come up with in regards to port based torpedos. (Warning, I have no idea how fast torpedos move. I have relatively little knowledge of naval warfare. This is the arrogance of an individual speaking.)

The TBD Destroyer sounds...interesting. It looks like the only way they could really counter pick our counter pick is if they attempt to ramp up the size and power of a ship to the point where they can destroy our destroyer. Without having actually deployed any ships of their own or having done anything resembling field tests. I mean, they could try to go submarine I guess? At first I was worried about this but the more I looked at this the more I realized that they aren't really in a position to do anything that isn't throwing prototypes at our becoming more refined even now ships? Really, if we build a new dry dock or two and just flood them with continuingly improved TBDs and eventually other designs, I can't really see them succeeding in a naval engagement. They've simply let it go for too long. (Warning, this is more arrogance of an individual speaking. We should put thought into how to counter pick the upcoming counter pick.)

I'll rely on you all to set up a specific design, production, deployment, and construction plan because I should have gone to sleep some hours ago, but there are some thoughts to be used as you will.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2016, 01:53:06 am »

Torpedoes, depending on the design, go anywhere from about 20 knots to 200+. Dont worry, they probably dont have any nuclear armed rocket torpedoes that fly underwater. Yet. However, at this timeframe(which is hovering about the 20s), about 30 knots and about 4km is about as good as they get. Give it a few years and you may see some 22km torps going at 50 knots.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49