Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62282 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 807)
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:58 am »

You can have a few engineers upgrade something already built.
I know, but I honestly wouldn't know what exactly - the HMG and field gun are awesome, the Swordfish is in the process of being upgraded, any rifle upgrade would be marginal plus I'd like our next rifle to be of a smaller calibre meaning more work, the torpedo's probably fine, etc.

Anyways, more opinions?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:12 pm »

They can also upgrade structures.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2016, 02:52:09 pm »

I like plan Pi pretty much as it stands... (Anyone else notice that we always have a well thought out "plan Pi" every turn? What would we do without 3_14159?)

I agree that we should design an 80mm mortar this turn (with a 120 to follow later as time allows).

Illumination round to follow next turn? That may be best, let them get a taste of the mortars, then light them up with a little surprise!

If we have extra engineers (we don't, do we?) I would say assign them to working on upgrading the drydock, or failing that, set them to working on increasing artillery production so we have room for a mortar line next turn...

Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:07 pm »

Assuming the trench broom is a combat-feasible design, which most things testers love tend to be, a magazine bigger than what I'm assuming is a 30-round stick would likely be helpful. I'm imagining something along the lines of a PPSH, if it does have a high RoF. High rates being fire being actually somewhat easier to achieve with pistol rounds than low, I feel that's a safe assumption.

I do think 150 per turn is probably good for now, since we seem not to need them yet.

The 80mm mortar has my vote, man-portable can fulfill a different role than the field guns, as opposed to just having fatter shells and closer range.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:43:43 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2016, 04:40:05 am »

They can also upgrade structures.
Right, that too. Hm...

I like plan Pi pretty much as it stands... (Anyone else notice that we always have a well thought out "plan Pi" every turn? What would we do without 3_14159?)
I'm obsessive, perfectionist and detail-obsessed a computer scientist, I can't help it.

If we have extra engineers (we don't, do we?) I would say assign them to working on upgrading the drydock, or failing that, set them to working on increasing artillery production so we have room for a mortar line next turn...
That is a good idea. Let me check whether we can get some engineers assigned to that. Next turn, we should probably build a vehicle/engine production line for the truck.

Assuming the trench broom is a combat-feasible design, which most things testers love tend to be, a magazine bigger than what I'm assuming is a 30-round stick would likely be helpful. I'm imagining something along the lines of a PPSH, if it does have a high RoF. High rates being fire being actually somewhat easier to achieve with pistol rounds than low, I feel that's a safe assumption.
This might work. Historically, the PPSh's drum magazine had issues with reliability, reload times and didn't allow the soldier to grip it as good as a conventional magazine. On the other claw, we just need a better design.
Let's see what the field tests show, I'd say.

Quote from: Plan B

Possible engineering assignments:
    M2 Battlehelmet (1N 2B)
        1x newbies
        2x basic engineer

75mm field gun shells (2N 1U 2B, 1xS)
        2x  Newbies
        1x untrained munitions engineer
        2x basic engineer

Truck engine (1N 4B)
        1x newbies
        4x basic engineer

80mm mortar (2N 2B)
        2x newbies
        2x basic engineer

80mm mortar rounds (2N 2B)
        2x newbies
        2x basic engineer

Swordfish early-life upgrade (2B, 1S)
        1x basic naval engineer
        1x basic engineer

Small-arms factory (3B, 1U, 4xS)
        3x basic firearms engineers
        1x amazingly talented but untrained firearms engineer

Expand Drydock production (1U, 1xS)
        1x untrained architect
        2x newbies
I'm not quite content with plan 2, but I didn't want to reduce the engineers anywhere else - I'd hate the mortar and rounds to fail, just like the truck engine.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2016, 12:26:34 am »

We definitely don't need to prioritize weird prototype small arms for research time, especially not without field testing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2016, 12:35:51 am »

Objections to Pi plan B? Anyone prefer plan A to it?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:28 am »

none here
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2016, 11:38:49 am »

What is the swordfish upgrade?

Otherwise looks fine.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »

Replace the twin 37mm turret with a single 75mm turret.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2016, 01:14:56 pm »

Replace the twin 37mm turret with a single 75mm turret.

Oh neat.  +1 then

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2016, 01:10:33 pm »

Go plan B!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »

Working on the update.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »

807 Battle Report!

The war this year has taken a turn for the destructive, with both sides wheeling out modern artillery pieces. For the Republic, their piece is the Pattern 806 "Ratio" field gun, capable of firing at a distance or delivering witheringly accurate fire in a direct fire role. The Monarchy has wheeled out their quick-fire "striker" field gun, lobbing 25lb shells at targets. Of them, the "ratio" is by far the best in direct fire roles, even with the Strikers purpose designed ammunition for the job(a shrapnel shell that turns it into a giant shotgun), while both guns are let down by poor HE performance at range. According to rumors, both sides have been hard at work attempting to correct this deficiency.
 In addition to this, Republic shock troops have been attacking trenches at short range with their recently produced pattern 803 Trench Broom(their second try at such a weapon), a rapid fire weapon firing the 10x30mm "special" round and their more prevalent Jupiter pistols. However, these attacks have been largely countered by the rapid deployment of machineguns and infantry via truck(least, when said trucks are not shifting about field guns) while the Republican forces have largely been unable to move up reinforcements to exploit these gaps in the lines. Likewise, Republican forces have begun producing their own machineguns that have made the Monarchy unable to storm Republican trenches.

At sea, the two initial Republican naval vessels have been joined by two more, both equipped with torpedo launchers (single tubes, one on each side). These have been hammering ports and any ships unlucky enough to find them, and have been noted to be able to hit a single target with their guns while making the extreme maneuvers necessary to get off both tubes. At the same time, what arty has been able to be spared from the front is so thinned out as to be almsot useless.

So, to recap: War on land is messy trench warfare with one side equipped with helmets and using trucks to bring up some reinforcements and the other side using deadly direct fire arty(when they can bring it up fast enough) and proto-SMGs. At sea, its a curb stomp for the Republic.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

So we need all terrain transports, in effect. Right then, onwards!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49