Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62229 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 806)
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:34 pm »

So, no actual development of rounds for the 75mm gun?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2016, 01:50:51 am »

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.
I had assumed that, due to the work already invested in it, the field gun would've been exempt from that.

Do we know how many engineers we - roughly - need for the gun and ammo?

Looking through the votes, we have a clear majority for the following:
Finishing the field cannon, M1 HMG and the artillery factory. Interpreting the first one as including ammo, I'm going to assign the following engineers:

75mm ammo: 2 newbies, 2 basic engineers
75mm field cannon "Ratio": 2 newbies, 2 basic engineers, 1 basic naval engineer (for navalizing)
M1 HMG: 3 basic firearms engineers, 1 amazingly talented/untrained firearms engineer
Artillery Factory: 2 newbies, untrained architect, 2 basic engineers

The artillery factory should (probably) be about 50% larger than our small-arms factory from last turn going from assigned engineers. I'd propose 3x300PP production lines.

I'm thinking about just assigning the basic naval engineer to the harbour clearing - there's not much for him to do, and it might give us some progress.

Any thoughts on the above? Acceptable for all?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2016, 11:58:54 am »

The "ammo development separate from the gun" thing has been ongoing since the first turn, so I dunno why it would be.

As for numbers, its just a basic project. And technically you can slap one person on a thing and they could do it, its just not all that likely.

Any objections to Pi Plan? If not than the turn will be written up soon.
Highly Opinionated Fool

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2016, 12:57:37 pm »

Join nonetheless! It's fun, and you seem very knowledgeable.

Well, maybe not very, but I do know some stuff about pre and early industrial warfare....

You know what, I think I'll stick to what I have been doing, reading the turns and making suggestions :) Since I can't be available consistently I'll refrain from voting, but I may suggest a new design every now and again :)

Does production plan PI include ammo production? Because last I knew the ammo lines were still making rounds for outdated stuff...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »

Ammo factories are something handled on my end.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2016, 01:07:47 pm »

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.
I had assumed that, due to the work already invested in it, the field gun would've been exempt from that.

Do we know how many engineers we - roughly - need for the gun and ammo?

Looking through the votes, we have a clear majority for the following:
Finishing the field cannon, M1 HMG and the artillery factory. Interpreting the first one as including ammo, I'm going to assign the following engineers:

75mm field cannon "Ratio": 2 newbies, 2 basic engineers, 1 basic naval engineer (for navalizing)
M1 HMG: 3 basic firearms engineers, 1 amazingly talented/untrained firearms engineer

The artillery factory should (probably) be about 50% larger than our small-arms factory from last turn going from assigned engineers. I'd propose 3x300PP production lines.

I'm thinking about just assigning the basic naval engineer to the harbour clearing - there's not much for him to do, and it might give us some progress.

Any thoughts on the above? Acceptable for all?

+1 just to get this going but assign the naval engineer to the harbor clearing

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2016, 03:49:39 pm »

+1 just to get this going but assign the naval engineer to the harbor clearing
Works for me. New assignment:

75mm field cannon "Ratio": 2 newbies, 2 basic engineers,
Clear the harbour: 1 basic naval engineer

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2016, 10:58:15 pm »

No time to finish, most done, have start.

Start of the End 806

We interrupt our regularly occurring layout to bring you this important message. Late this year the Republic declared war upon the Monarchy after they refused to give up an alleged fugitive from justice. According the the Republican government, the individual in question was seen planting explosive devices at no less than three high-value targets, consisting of an ammunition factory and two strategic military bases.

Mobilization of military forces by both sides(along with their allies and/or vassals) is now well underway. Fighting has been confined between the two main powers, and in most respects is identical to that of a few years ago.
 Well, with a few exceptions.
 Each side has been issuing new multishot rifles to their front line troops with the Monarchy using their bolt-action Mk1* Airus(named for their crown prince) in a 30-30 round and the Republican forces using the lever action Pattern 801A Revolving Rifle. Of the two the Pattern 801A is the more powerful(as the cartage used in the A variant is the same size as their old blackpowder rifle) and is slightly lighter, but the Airus is able to reload more quickly and better handles the recoil of firing.
 In addition, Republican forces have been issuing new automatic pistols while Monarchy forces have been issuing helmets in bulk. While the helmets are unable to handle the large rounds fired by either the Pattern 801A or the Pattern 803 Jupiter, they have saved many a life from shrapnel and near misses.
 There have been a few new larger weapons seen in combat aswell. From the Republic there have been a large number of Pattern 801 Light Revolving Cannon(basically their pattern 793 Revolving Cannon using their standard 10x60mm round), while from the Monarchy there have been a few "Hailstorms" seen on the battlefield, mostly delivered late in the year. These are large(really large) watercooled, belt fed weapons using their standard rifle round.

On the seas, there have been a large number of hit and run attacks on Monarchy ports and shipping by a pair of Republican torpedo boat destroyers, which are armed with their revolving cannon and a number of their light revolving cannon, but oddly no torpedoes.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2016, 06:00:16 am »

We interrupt our regularly occurring layout to bring you this important message. Late this year the Republic declared war upon the Monarchy after they refused to give up an alleged fugitive from justice. According the the Republican government, the individual in question was seen planting explosive devices at no less than three high-value targets, consisting of an ammunition factory and two strategic military bases.
Damn it. I had hoped we had at least two more years.

Each side has been issuing new multishot rifles to their front line troops with the Monarchy using their bolt-action Mk1* Airus(named for their crown prince) in a 30-30 round and the Republican forces using the lever action Pattern 801A Revolving Rifle. Of the two the Pattern 801A is the more powerful(as the cartage used in the A variant is the same size as their old blackpowder rifle) and is slightly lighter, but the Airus is able to reload more quickly and better handles the recoil of firing.
That was expected, except for our rifle being lighter. In the end, I'd suspect the Airus is more effective (higher rate of rife and less recoil), but not by enough to make a redesign necessary.

In addition, Republican forces have been issuing new automatic pistols while Monarchy forces have been issuing helmets in bulk. While the helmets are unable to handle the large rounds fired by either the Pattern 801A or the Pattern 803 Jupiter, they have saved many a life from shrapnel and near misses.
And we should definitely also design helmets. How about helmets this turn, and the uniform next?

There have been a few new larger weapons seen in combat aswell. From the Republic there have been a large number of Pattern 801 Light Revolving Cannon(basically their pattern 793 Revolving Cannon using their standard 10x60mm round), while from the Monarchy there have been a few "Hailstorms" seen on the battlefield, mostly delivered late in the year. These are large(really large) watercooled, belt fed weapons using their standard rifle round.
Hm. Large, 7.62mm watercooled machine guns. They are a risk to us, but have apparently been just introduced into service. I am hoping our M1 is better.

On the seas, there have been a large number of hit and run attacks on Monarchy ports and shipping by a pair of Republican torpedo boat destroyers, which are armed with their revolving cannon and a number of their light revolving cannon, but oddly no torpedoes.
We forgot to build torpedoes.

Damn.
On the other hand, we can be pretty sure that they - having apparently decided not to construct naval units - will rectify that.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:51 am »

Oh, we designed the torpedoes, just did not build them.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2016, 10:00:43 am »

i have some ideas,wich is the beast:
-a submachine gun
- a bomber plane
-a rocket like weapon
no

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2016, 11:03:44 am »

End of 806

Well, that year was eventful. Fighting was almsot entirely a stalemate (beyond naval actions anyways), something attributed to the lack of modern artillery.

In any event, this year was a year of good progress, even if it was not all the progress we planned to have.

First off, we have the Pattern 806 Field Gun, nicknamed the "Ratio". This weapon (which weighs in at almsot two thousand kilograms) is by far the most accurate direct-fire artillery piece our engineers have seen, and is able to hit targets nine kilometers away when used as a indirect fire piece. The weapon has a new, innovative "split trail" carriage, along with a liquid-based recoil absorption system, which means that the gun does not need to be relaid after each shot. The weapon is also amazingly cheap for what it is. Our officers have noted that it is on the heavy side for our horses, and having seen our earlier work on a artillery tractor wonder if another design for one could be worked on.

Its munitions, however, are disappointing. Early work on them where unmitigated failures, but the problems where caught in time to work on them. However, there are only two forms of shell for the gun(consisting of a wimpy impact-detonated HE round and a solid round thats more likely to explode than penetrate), and both are rather mediocre, in addition to costing a fair deal more than anything else like them.

Now we come to the Pattern 806 HMG, an air-cooled, closed bolt belt fed weapon using our standard 10x60mm rounds. This weapon has proved to have a problem here and there (the action could use work), but in most respects it is a reliable, durable weapon that can be made for (comparatively) almost nothing and is shockingly light. By itself it weighs in at only 28kg, to which its tripod and similar kit add an extra 20. Being air-cooled it is intended to be supplied with quickly changeable barrels, although this has proved to be mostly unnecessary in testing.

Next up, a team of engineers had been working on a new artillery complex, which has resulted in a trio of 300pp lines optimized for handling artillery pieces (at the moment, the 75mm gun and the revolving cannon are all that apply here).

Last but not least, one of our engineers was put to work clearing out the harbor, with help from our small navy.

In governmental shenanigans news, we have had a new draft of engineers assigned to us, along with a number of factory complexes. Five new factories have been built to handle munitions production, and a total of four 250pp production lines and a 300ton drydock have been freed up for our use. We have also received a new batch of engineers, consisting of seven basic and five newbies.

Spoiler: Designs of 806 (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2016, 02:38:40 pm »

Well, that year was eventful. Fighting was almsot entirely a stalemate (beyond naval actions anyways), something attributed to the lack of modern artillery.
Assuming the other side drew the same conclusions, we can assume modern artillery no later than two turns from now. This should give us a fair margin of superiority, though.

First off, we have the Pattern 806 Field Gun, nicknamed the "Ratio". This weapon (which weighs in at almsot two thousand kilograms) is by far the most accurate direct-fire artillery piece our engineers have seen, and is able to hit targets nine kilometers away when used as a indirect fire piece. The weapon has a new, innovative "split trail" carriage, along with a liquid-based recoil absorption system, which means that the gun does not need to be relaid after each shot. The weapon is also amazingly cheap for what it is. Our officers have noted that it is on the heavy side for our horses, and having seen our earlier work on a artillery tractor wonder if another design for one could be worked on.
I love it.
Honestly? It's even better than I wanted, being so cheap.

Its munitions, however, are disappointing. Early work on them where unmitigated failures, but the problems where caught in time to work on them. However, there are only two forms of shell for the gun(consisting of a wimpy impact-detonated HE round and a solid round thats more likely to explode than penetrate), and both are rather mediocre, in addition to costing a fair deal more than anything else like them.
Hmpf. We should probably redo the shell project, I guess. Mostly related to making them cheaper.

Now we come to the Pattern 806 HMG, an air-cooled, closed bolt belt fed weapon using our standard 10x60mm rounds. This weapon has proved to have a problem here and there (the action could use work), but in most respects it is a reliable, durable weapon that can be made for (comparatively) almost nothing and is shockingly light. By itself it weighs in at only 28kg, to which its tripod and similar kit add an extra 20. Being air-cooled it is intended to be supplied with quickly changeable barrels, although this has proved to be mostly unnecessary in testing.
Remember when I said I loved the Ratio? Yeah, I'll take both. It's a lighter M2 Browning. Which we can buy for a ridiculous 5PP apiece. That's less than 9 rifles.
I'm pretty sure that, aside from possibly fixing some of the issues with it, the Pattern 806 HMG will remain our mainstay HMG for the next few decades.

Next up, a team of engineers had been working on a new artillery complex, which has resulted in a trio of 300pp lines optimized for handling artillery pieces (at the moment, the 75mm gun and the revolving cannon are all that apply here).
Perfect. Three lines of 300PP are more than 90 field guns per year (depending on the bonus specialization gives us).

In governmental shenanigans news, we have had a new draft of engineers assigned to us, along with a number of factory complexes. Five new factories have been built to handle munitions production, and a total of four 250pp production lines and a 300ton drydock have been freed up for our use. We have also received a new batch of engineers, consisting of seven basic and five newbies.
And even more engineers, factories and a drydock. Very nice.

Five off-site factories producing ammunition (2x 10x60mmRS cartridge, 1x 10x30mm(black) cartridge, 1x 37mm cannon)
 Five off-site factories tooling up to produce ammunition
You'll handle ammo, correct?

One on-site factory complex with four production lines of 300pp each and one of 575pp(optimized for smallarms)
Are all of those small-arms optimized, or only the 575pp one?

10 newbies
1 untrained munitions engineer
1 untrained architect
13 basic engineers
1 basic naval engineer
3 basic firearms engineers
1 amazingly talented but untrained firearms engineer
Many, many new engineers. Yummy.
Also, is a firearms engineer different from an artillery engineer?

i have some ideas,wich is the beast:
-a submachine gun
- a bomber plane
-a rocket like weapon
There are some issues with that which I can see. First of all, we already had a prototype attempt at a submachine gun, which worked out less than optimal. We are only a few years after the first powered flight, so a bomber will not have much range nor payload.

I have a few ideas for projects we should probably attempt this turn. A truck engine, in preparation for an artillery tractor/truck would probably be a good idea, as would be an infantry mortar. We would also profit from a steel helmet. I am thinking about a project to refit our destroyers with the Ratio cannon for much-increased firepower. Lastly, new and improved shells for the Ratio cannon might be in order.
Thoughts and preferences?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 807)
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:09 pm »

Specialization is mostly just "this is easier to make and if you try doing something else on it its half as useful"

Yes, I handle ammo

The 575 is smallarms optimized, the four 300pp in that complex are unoptimized.

Yes, yes they are.

Also, Pi, you may be forgetting that the trench sweeper was rejiggered somewhat after its initial design.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 807)
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2016, 03:18:56 pm »

Also, Pi, you may be forgetting that the trench sweeper was rejiggered somewhat after its initial design.
Damn, you're right. I thought it was in the turn immediately after it was first designed, but couldn't find it. I've quoted the design below.

-Pattern 802 Trench Broom auto weapon
 A mostly sheet-steel weapon, the Trench Broom is a high capacity, low weight, theoretically high rate of fire weapon firing the 10x30mm special round, kept in a paper belt, itself stored within large drums that reside around the sides of the weapon. These belts have been determined to be one of the main reasons for the jamming.
 In any event, the weapon weighs about 3lb unloaded and is just over a foot and a half long.
 One of these costs 1.2pp each

-Pattern 803 Trench Broom auto weapon
 A pattern 802 trench broom with the magazine replaced by a spring-fed stick magazine, sticking out the side, thus solving almost all the jamming issues with the gun. The testers loved it and the prototypes are missing or worn out by constant fire.
 One of these and a few spare magazines costs 1.4pp each
We should probably assign a production line to them to test them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49