Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62218 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 806)
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:21 pm »

Additionally, mercury takes a major downside of water cooling, namely being heavy, and makes it drastically worse, mercury being very dense.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »

I don't want to/can't play, but I do want to give the players a few suggestions:

Develop two basic types of ammo, one for pistols/SMGs and one for rifles/MGs/snipers. This will simplify production. Use existing ammo types where possible!

Don't bother with a special sniper weapon, simply use the best of the standard rifles with a scope.

Think about things the other side won't consider. For example some kind of LST would be awesome for raids... (hit them from behind when they get bogged down in the mountains)

Light rockets cannot be beaten as a light, cheap, and extremely effective area weapon. Think MLRS, but lower tech... Black powder makes a good fuel for such rockets, and even works of for the warhead (but not as well as HE). Best part? You can retrofit launcher cells onto just about anything that moves, so they would make a good auxiliary weapon for gunboats and light tanks (when you get that far).

Speaking of rockets, have you thought about small signal rockets? How about star shells (parachute flares)? (being able to fight at night may be decisive!)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2016, 03:07:38 pm »

So perhaps replace the man-portable radio with a basic light rocket housing? We can switch out the warhead to whatever the heck, but a simple booster/launch rack hands us a nice starting point.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:51 pm »

On the one hand, I'm a big fan of rockets. On the other hand, I believe we're currently like a metaphorical child in a sweets shop: Too many sweets to choose. We should probably restrict ourselves to the most important ones.

By the way, I'd like to construct an artillery factory (Aseaheru: Are there actual specializations in this game?) this turn. We're going to need all the production we can get.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2016, 03:26:35 pm »

I concur.

Incidentally, Aseaheru, what's the stance on ammunition supply?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »

Yes, specialization is a thing. Now, for me to remember it is a thing...

Ammunition currently being made consist of 2x 10x60mmRS cartridge, 1x 10x30mm(black) cartridge, 1x 37mm cannon(Black). Which basically means that there is a bunch of 10x60mmRS(which is the smokeless round nose), plenty of old pistol rounds, and a bunch of 37mm ammo out there. Which does mean that alot of old rifles cant currently use new ammo.

Speaking of, I need to figure out what exactly you lot have made...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2016, 04:05:31 pm »

Highly Opinionated Fool

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2016, 04:11:16 pm »

Wow, you guys need to get some factories going... Can you sell some of the outdated stuff to allies for resources/production help?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 04:54:09 pm »

They only had three years of production.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2016, 07:33:37 pm »

- Turn one 300 factory over to building the Jupiter pattern 800 pistol.

+1 to clear the harbor

Maybe we should make an artillery factory and work on the cannon this turn?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:01 pm »

These are pretty small factories for a powerful nation though. Individual weapons manufacture sites usually measured their output in tens of thousands per year by the 1910s.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2016, 02:16:12 am »

M1 AUTO
a machine gun,it uses a recoil action,it uses m10x70 smokles round,it is 5ft long.

M10X70 SMOKLES
a smokeless powder raund,it is more powerfull than other rounds
no

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2016, 02:31:40 am »

I mean, if we needed a heavy machine gun in a new cartridge, that'd be nice. For now I think standard ammunition is best, we just need a nice spread of standard guns before moving on to silly prototypes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2016, 01:08:40 pm »

On the one hand, I'm a big fan of rockets. On the other hand, I believe we're currently like a metaphorical child in a sweets shop: Too many sweets to choose. We should probably restrict ourselves to the most important ones.

Yes and we have to be logical  and stick with simple designs.
No more flights of fancy for now.
Right the simplest way to a machine gun is to add an electric motor on the Light Revolving Cannon.

But as that still something we have to cart it around, a lighter machine-gun is called for.

Speaking of rockets, have you thought about small signal rockets? How about star shells (parachute flares)? (being able to fight at night may be decisive!)
Some kind of flare gun?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »

Yes and we have to be logical  and stick with simple designs.
No more flights of fancy for now.
Right the simplest way to a machine gun is to add an electric motor on the Light Revolving Cannon.

But as that still something we have to cart it around, a lighter machine-gun is called for.
I don't think it'd be as easy as fitting an electric motor to the cannon. But I definitely agree that a lighter machine gun is necessary, and should perform much better.

Some kind of flare gun?
Instead of a flare gun, I'd suggest we design an infantry-portable mortar next turn (patterned after the Stokes mortar or the Brandt 27/31) - a steel tube for throwing 80mm mortar shells towards the enemy or star shells over their positions. The design is so simple that every infantry mortar today is basically just a refinement of that design.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49