Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62193 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 805)
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2016, 02:37:35 pm »

Thats taller than most humans...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2016, 02:55:12 pm »

well i use the metric system,i am changing it to 6ft allright
So do I, so just use it.

One of the issues I have with the rifle is that we already have one in production, and any other rifle (no matter how good) will only be an incremental improvement. On the other hand, we have many areas in which we don't have anything, where a design would be very necessary.

Do you have any ideas about a torpedo boat or torpedo boat destroyer? Alternatively, we're still using colourful uniforms and cloth caps, so a modern uniform might be very useful. Any ideas?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »

Pi has my vote.

M2 Battleweave

A fairly simple woven wool fabric intended for use in military uniforms, both warp and weft are made with an irregular pattern of dull-colored yarns. Serves well both to keep the soldier comfortable, and to break up his outline in a variety of environments.

A new uniform will have to be developed to take advantage of this innovation.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about the following:

Design:
10x60mm S (standard) round
A 10x60mm aerodynamic round with a hard copper jacket and using smokeless powder, it is designed to be used with the Repeating Rifle Mk 1. Tests should be done with the Service Rifle, too. Should the round be too powerful, also adapt a modification (the 10x60mm SL (standard, low-powered) which only uses 1/3rd of the propellant.

Building:

Test Range
Begin establishment of a general purpose testing range for our weaponry. Should include a small-arms range (taking care that the area behind the targets is resistant to those small arms, of course), a large open space for testing artillery and explosives, and several observation bunkers for hiding in observing the testing.

Dry Dock (mostly a fluff description)
A small drydock, enclosing a space of 65x10m, with a depth of 4m. It uses steel doors to close itself off from the harbour, then steam pumps to evacuate the water. A multitude of ladders, stairs, elevators and cranes allow access for personnel and equipment.

Assignment:
Bullet: 1 talented/unskilled firearms engineer, 3 basic firearms engineers
Training Range: 4 newbies, 3 basic engineers
Dry Dock: 4 newbies, 2 basic engineers, 1 basic naval engineer

Thoughts?
I proposed doing only one research project this turn since we need both the training range and dry dock for basically everything we want to design afterwards. The dry dock itself should allow us to lay down both torpedo boats and first torpedo boat destroyers.

We should probably make a small arms factory to get the Jupiter into production, we could spare a basic engineer from the drydock, firearms engineer and 2 newbies, one each from the drydock and training range.  That pistol seems like our best design for officers right now.  Hell I would give it as a standard side arm for all our troops if we had the capacity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:18 pm »

The turn for that is over Voidslayer...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »

+1 to the new uniforms
Give everyone a holster even if we dont have a pistol for them yet.
keep the old ones for formal dress.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:52 am »

Okay, so, how about this as a torpedo boat destroyer:

Swordfish - Torpedo Boat Destroyer Pattern 806

A 220-ton torpedo boat destroyer, the Swordfish is propelled by eight high-pressure water-tube boilers and two steam engines  which allow it to attain a speed of almost 30 knots. It is armed with one main gun mounted near the bow, two Pattern 793 37mm Revolving cannons (one aft, one mid-ships) and two torpedo tubes mounted 1/3rd and 2/3rd along the boat. It is almost completely unarmoured.
Modelled after the HMS Hornet. Pictures: Photo, Model 1, Model 2.
Imagine it with the two 6-pounders at the bow removed, the middle torpedo tube further forwards a 37mm cannon in its place. This uses lighter and fewer secondary guns, and one less torpedo tube, which should account for the reduction in weight and the corresponding increase in speed.

@Amperzand: How about this as a uniform:

M2 Battleweave

A fairly simple woven wool fabric intended for use in military uniforms, both warp and weft are made with an irregular pattern of dull-colored yarns. Serves well both to keep the soldier comfortable, and to break up his outline in a variety of environments.

A new uniform is designed to take advantage of this innovation. It features a comfortable shirt, three types of trousers (short, normal and winter) and a winter coat. Bags at leather straps form load-bearing equipment, allowing soldiers to store ammunition and equipment. A comfortable backpack is also issued, as are sturdy boots.
In addition, each soldier receives a steel helmet which features a neck protection and a small sun shade, and has a chin strap (imagine basically a Stahlhelm).
Use that opportunity to also standardize things like mess equipment.

We still have to decide what to do. Right now, we have the following votes:

- 75mm Artillery Cannon
- M1 Pump Rifle
- M2 Battleweave/Uniform
- Swordfish Torpedo Boat Destroyer

- Artillery Factory
- Small-Arms factory

I'd like to restrict us to three projects, at most four, and I believe the most important ones are land-based. I'm therefore going to vote for the artillery gun, the uniform, the artillery factory and the Swordfish destroyer.

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

@Aseaheru: Before I forget, there's something which might help us: Could you, every few turns, give an overview of the generally available technology (materials, engines, etc)? I realize this adds to your work load, but I believe it'd increase our knowledge of what's available.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:05:51 am by 3_14159 »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2016, 10:01:32 am »

I still think that we should build the small arms factory now and start makeing guns, as the artillery will take until the end of next turn to be ready.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »

Any other votes?
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2016, 04:34:31 pm »

I still think that we should build the small arms factory now and start makeing guns, as the artillery will take until the end of next turn to be ready.
That's a pretty good point. Switching my vote.

@Aseaheru: Another question: Do we need time to retool factory lines?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2016, 04:49:59 pm »

Not this time.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:53 pm »

Not this time.
Not this turn, or not this game?

Also, do you need anything else from us for the turn? Ah, probably an engineer assignment.

I propose the following:
- 75mm Artillery Cannon - 2 basic firearms engineers, 1 basic engineer, 2 newbies
- M2 Battleweave/Uniform - 3 basic engineers, 2 newbies
- Swordfish Torpedo Boat Destroyer - 1 basic naval engineer, 2 basic engineers, 2 newbies
- Small-Arms factory - 1 amazingly talented but unskilled firearms engineer, 1 basic firearms engineer, 1 newbie
Assuming that the firearms engineer actually helps with the artillery cannon.

Also, did you register our request for more engineers?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »

Not this game, it caused just toomuch paperwork in DoO, so I dropped it. (Plus it relied on more people paying attention to production)

As for what I was waiting on for next turn, I was sorta hoping for a third person to vote, but ahwell.
 Also, which request for engineers? There was one recently?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 05:38:29 pm »

If you need a third vote, consider mine cast alongside that of Pi.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »

Just need one thing at this point, and that being the size of the new smallarms factory you guys want.

-edit-

Also, Pi, that Hornet is the Havoc class one, right?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:35:41 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49