Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62181 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 805)
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 05:31:10 am »

1. 10x60mmA: Nice work. Are there any details available as to the accuracy and range one can achieve with this new bullet?

2. Test range: Nice! It's not even a test range, it's a "world class firing range". Perfect.

3. Dry dock: Done and good. Is it able to produce vessels up to 300t, or 300t of vessels (max 300t) per year?

Now, for this turn's designs:

If there's one thing that should have absolute, number one priority, it's the field artillery. We already have some prototypes sitting around, and people with experience in that sort of thing. Reposting the design:
75mm Field Cannon Mk. I
A rifled breechloader, this 75mm cannon uses self-contained shells (that is, including the smokeless powder). They are mounted on a two-wheeled (with a third wheel for stabilization) carriage. They employ a recoil system designed to keep the carriage itself stable while the gun fires, leading to a significantly higher firing rate.
There are three shell types available: A time-fuzed shrapnel shell, an impact-detonated HE shell and an AP shell for use against ships (when used in a coastal defense role).

I'd also like to use our drydock to produce naval vessels. There's the first issue right there: On the one hand, we can start building a nice torpedo boat, mounting two torpedoes and (probably) one or two of our 37mm rapid fire gun in about 100 tons (judging from the Storm class). This'd push us into production as fast as possible. On the other hand, torpedoes are awesome against capital ships - which I'm pretty sure the enemy doesn't have, instead probably relying, as we do, on torpedo boats.
That's why I'd actually prefer a torpedo boat destroyer. Heavier and more expensive, it should also be significantly more sea-going and ideally armed to destroy torpedo boats. This means mounting one of our 75mm Field Cannons, and two to four 37mm cannons plus two torpedo tubes onto a roughly 300t platform (c.f. HMS Hornet). On the other hand, we'd probably need to wait another turn until the 75mm Field Cannon is designed, and each of the torpedo boat destroyers will have to face three to four enemy torpedo boats - something it should be able to achieve.

Thoughts on that?

If we don't design a ship this turn, I'd like to design a uniform plus helmet for our troops.

Other than that, I'd like to build an artillery factory (we're going to definitely need it). Should we petition the government for more engineers, maybe skilled in construction?

Lastly, we should also think about whether we want to switch one factory line from producing the Revolving Rifle (500/y) to upgrading the service rifle (15,000/y). Two years of that will upgrade almost all of our Pattern 782 to Pattern 804s. My vote depends on whether we can use the "semi-smokeless" variant of the 10x60mmA for frontline troops.

Questions for Aseaheru:
- Details on accuracy/range improvement with the new bullet?
- Dry dock production per year?
- Can we design the torpedo boat destroyer at the same time as the field artillery?
- Can we use the 10x60mmA semi-smokeless round in the Pattern 804 even for frontline troops? If so, what's the performance increase compared to the blackpowder 782s?
- Am I correct in that the semi-smokeless round contains no blackpowder, therefore preventing blackpowder fouling?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2016, 10:01:59 am »

Questions for Aseaheru:
- Details on accuracy/range improvement with the new bullet?
- Dry dock production per year?
- Can we design the torpedo boat destroyer at the same time as the field artillery?
- Can we use the 10x60mmA semi-smokeless round in the Pattern 804 even for frontline troops? If so, what's the performance increase compared to the blackpowder 782s?
- Am I correct in that the semi-smokeless round contains no blackpowder, therefore preventing blackpowder fouling?
-No hard numbers from me, but its a substantial improvement in both respects.
-300ton a year, whether it be as one ship or 30(although things under about 50ton don't need a drydock).
-If you felt like, you could design a spaceship at the same time as both of those. Only limit is what your guys can actually do.
-If it was developed, yes. Not asmuch as as pure smokeless round, but better than just blackpowder.
-Nope! Semi-smokeless is a blend of smokeless and black powders.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2016, 12:22:21 pm »

I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have gunnery engineers design ships completely on their own. I say we get proper field artillery designed, while petitioning for more engineers.

@Aseaheru: Are we looking to run into a WW1-type scenario in a few decades?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:42 pm »

Likley sooner than that.

Also, you meant arty and a ship at the same time? No, thats not possible. Hell, only reason why the ammo dudes could design the updated single shot rifle was because they massively overshot the difficulty roll.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2016, 01:59:00 pm »

That's what I thought. We need more personnel, more sites, more everything. Perhaps we should provoke a minor war with a smaller power to test weapons and encourage spending?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »

Also, you meant arty and a ship at the same time? No, thats not possible. Hell, only reason why the ammo dudes could design the updated single shot rifle was because they massively overshot the difficulty roll.
Specifically, I meant designing, during the same turn, the artillery piece with team A, and a torpedo boat destroyer mounting the artillery piece with team B.

Other than that...
well, I'd say we continue producing the rifle, at 1500 pieces per turn.
We should probably prioritize the artillery design.
How about we use one (major) team to design the field gun, one (medium) team to build an artillery factory, and one (medium) team to design a torpedo boat? Get us started on the naval part, at least.

That's what I thought. We need more personnel, more sites, more everything. Perhaps we should provoke a minor war with a smaller power to test weapons and encourage spending?
That risks an escalation, and I'm not sure we're strong enough for that. Maybe a Spanish Civil-War type of scenario? See whether we can provoke our southern ally for a war with its neighbour, in which we only deliver weaponry? Hm. I'm not sure.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »

I was being largely sarcastic, but it does have the potential to be useful, if we're okay being both risky and sociopathic.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2016, 03:07:34 pm »

Specifically, I meant designing, during the same turn, the artillery piece with team A, and a torpedo boat destroyer mounting the artillery piece with team B.

That you can do,and tried attempting at one point.
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »

Have we actually been building the Jupiter pistols and getting them into the hands of officers?

Also do we actually have an artillery of some type in service?  I did not see one.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2016, 12:48:29 am »

That you can do,and tried attempting at one point.
Hm. Torpedo boat or torpedo boat destroyer? Thought, anyone?

Have we actually been building the Jupiter pistols and getting them into the hands of officers?
We haven't, good point. It's actually on purpose - using one of our production lines for the pistol will mean 500 rifles less, for 600 pistols produced. I judged it as not worth it.

Hmpf. We need a small-arms factory, don't we?

Also do we actually have an artillery of some type in service?  I did not see one.
We don't. We started designing a 75mm field gun two turns ago, which didn't work out because we lacked a testing range. That's my number one priority for this turn.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2016, 01:22:55 am »

i know i might be late,but can i join?
no

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2016, 04:40:04 am »

i know i might be late,but can i join?
There's no waiting queue or list of players; just drop in and join.

Welcome!

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2016, 05:28:01 am »

M1 PUMP RIFLE
a pump action rifle,it is 7ft long,it uses the 10x70mm cartridge(see below),it has a tube magazine that can hold 6 cartdriges

10X70MM CARTRIDGE
a cartrige very likewise 10x60mm cartridge but but made for the  m1 pump rifle
no

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2016, 02:11:30 pm »

7ft long!? this is some kind of sniper rifle / wall gun right?
If that the case lets add a bi-pod and some windage and range adjustable sights .
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

7ft long!? this is some kind of sniper rifle / wall gun right?
If that the case lets add a bi-pod and some windage and range adjustable sights .
well i use the metric system,i am changing it to 6ft allright
no
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49