Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62148 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about the following:

Design:
10x60mm S (standard) round
A 10x60mm aerodynamic round with a hard copper jacket and using smokeless powder, it is designed to be used with the Repeating Rifle Mk 1. Tests should be done with the Service Rifle, too. Should the round be too powerful, also adapt a modification (the 10x60mm SL (standard, low-powered) which only uses 1/3rd of the propellant.

Building:

Test Range
Begin establishment of a general purpose testing range for our weaponry. Should include a small-arms range (taking care that the area behind the targets is resistant to those small arms, of course), a large open space for testing artillery and explosives, and several observation bunkers for hiding in observing the testing.

Dry Dock (mostly a fluff description)
A small drydock, enclosing a space of 65x10m, with a depth of 4m. It uses steel doors to close itself off from the harbour, then steam pumps to evacuate the water. A multitude of ladders, stairs, elevators and cranes allow access for personnel and equipment.

Assignment:
Bullet: 1 talented/unskilled firearms engineer, 3 basic firearms engineers
Training Range: 4 newbies, 3 basic engineers
Dry Dock: 4 newbies, 2 basic engineers, 1 basic naval engineer

Thoughts?
I proposed doing only one research project this turn since we need both the training range and dry dock for basically everything we want to design afterwards. The dry dock itself should allow us to lay down both torpedo boats and first torpedo boat destroyers.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Sounds good to me.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Any objection to plan Pi?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another question: How does the landscape look like?
We are, I assume, directly bordering the Monarchy, which - as do we - has coast access. There are also several other, independant, states nearby. How does the land look like? How much coast do we have?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really need to get a map for this, dont I...

Basically, think Italy, big long strip of land with mountains in center. We are on one side, they are on other, mountains in middle. Lotsa coast on both sides, other nations above and below (Below its mostly small subject nations under them). Overall climate is like northern and central Germany.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really need to get a map for this, dont I...
Not necessarily; that already was quite helpful. Something like that, then? Any particular cities, passes or anything to add?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lots, Im gonna gt off my ass and make up a proper map.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In news today, the map is about 80% done. I just need to add in things like forts, rivers, and thats actually about it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, working on the turn, what size is the drydock, tonnage wise?

Spoiler: Also, Map. (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Right, working on the turn, what size is the drydock, tonnage wise?

Spoiler: Also, Map. (click to show/hide)

Image set to a more reasonable size.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yo, Im waiting on drydock tonnage before I can do the turn.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[map]
Awesome map!
A few questions:
Those frame towers (SE of our factory) are oil production?
What's the building to the north-east of our factory? Looks like it might be an airport, or a fortress?
What are the triangles with a dot inside? What are the circles with a star inside? (Both can be found at the border between the Republic and Monarchy)?
What's the scale?

Yo, Im waiting on drydock tonnage before I can do the turn.
My original plan was to build a drydock of 65x10x4m, sufficient to comfortably produce torpedo destroyers like the Havock class. So I guess about 300t.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Yep
-Important settlements
-Each sides form of a military base
-Too rough to matter much.

300ton? Thanks.
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Too rough to matter much.
Can you give us an order of magnitude?
Is a hex one kilometre (making the Republic/Monarchy about the size of Cook Island)?
Ten kilometres (slightly bigger than Israel)?
A hundred kilometres (roughly Greenland or Algeria)?
A thousand kilometres (nearly double the area of Earth's landmasses, probably not)?

My assumption is that it's somewhere around 30-50 kilometres per hex, which'd make the whole peninsula about the size of Italy.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)(Start 805)
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2016, 09:10:48 pm »

About the size of Italy, more or less.

End 804

This year was a good year for us. While we did not do many things, those we did do turned out quite well.

To start with, we have the 804 Rifle Munition Program, tasked with developing a more powerful rifle round for the Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle, and also tasked with finding out if the old Pattern 782 Troop Rifle can use these modern rounds.
 After much work, the engineers come out with the 10x60mmA rifle round, an aerodynamically stable bullet packs into its design a pointed tip, a boat-tail, and a copper jacket covering the whole thing. They also developed manufacturing processes that makes it easier and cheaper to produce than the RS or the B versions. Due to its flatter arc of fire, some work has to be done on existing weapons to take it into account.
 While they where working on the ammunition they went and tested the new rounds on the old Pattern 782, the end result of which they determined that, with a slight modification to the bolt and the receiver, they can reliably utilize the new round in low-use areas, such as artillery crews, guard use, and similar. They did some work on a low power form of the round, but determined that that was only really possible if they used a "semi-smokeless" form of the round. That is, unless you wanted them to explode in ones face.

A second team of workers went to work on developing a modern test range for weapons development. The finished thing covers about one hundred acres and has a wide range of terrains, along with a small office block for people to work on artillery firing tables.

Finally, some work was done creating a dry dock for production of small (up to 300ton) vessels. A rail link connects it to a small dedicated factory and with our onsite factory complexes, for quick transfer of cannon and the like.

Spoiler: Designs of 804 (click to show/hide)

Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49