Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62150 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Do we have jacketed rounds? We can get the smokeless jacketed, keep it obvious and improve their performance all at once.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Nope, no jacketed rounds. Sorry. Everythings ball, really ball.

Going and starting work on the turn now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had to take some dudes from Pi's plan to allow tghe other requests to be done, which means that the only ones that where any good where the ones that where past designs.

End 803

This year was a bit of a mixed bag for your engineers. Most of the projects they worked on failed in minor ways or weren't all that good. Two, however, shined in comparison. I will start with those.

The first of those successful designs was the new version of the pattern 802 torpedo which, although they dident do all that well on the new aspects of the design, their large list of what not to do helped them out significantly(infact, the same is true with all the designs that succeeded this year).
 The new design is larger, longer, heavier, has a longer range, is faster, and is not quite as liable to wobble in the water, thus missing the target.

A second (more or less successful) group of two engineers (one new, one a basic firearms) worked on working out the bugs with the Pattern 800 Jupiter Automatic Pistol, which we all know had issues with the magazine. With the benefit of the work papers from when first working on it, they come out with the Pattern 802 Jupiter Automatic Pistol, now featuring a removable box magazine that manages to hold the same number of rounds as the original without trying to jam the gun as the original did. It even managed to lower the cost of the actual pistol by a almost unnoticeable amount, although we now need to make extra bits for the magazines. Ohwell.

The third and final group, who where working on the trenchbroom, report that it was almost the trench boom this year. Thankfully, the pair of engineers(same composition as above) managed to catch the fault before it blew up in their faces. In any event, they have decided that the reason for the guns jamming was its large magazines and, specifically, the paper belt within. As a result, they have replaced this with a 30 round single-stack stick magazine that spicks out the side of the action. This doesn't actually lower the cost of the weapon, means that troops have to reload more often, but atleast most of the problems have been fixed.

And now, for the rest.
 The work on the field gun stalled out when the engineers couldn't find a place to test their prototypes, which has resulted in a lot of half-done designs sitting in a pile in the workshop.
 Those tasked with designing an artillery tractor spent the year arguing over exactly what type of wheel to use, if they should try using the new "diesel" engines being developed elsewhere, or if it should use petrol, and if it should be armed and/or armored. The protorype is currently sitting on the dock.

Elsewhere, the first batch of rifles and light revolving cannon come out of the factory and are delivered to eagerly awaiting forces, who try to stuff the old 10x60mmB rounds in and fail, leading them to complain bitterly, atleast until they are informed that there is a new type of munitions for them. Two ammunition factories switch over to the new type which are painted with a red stripe to show that they are the 10x60mmRS type round.
 The request for the government to build a new arms manufacturing complex under some other group is shot down, hard. After all, they say, thats your job.

Spoiler: Designs of 803 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapon Stocks, 803 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:51:48 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pattern 802 Torpedo: Looks nice, and should be nicely usable.
Pattern 802 Jupiter Automatic Pistol: Also nice.
Trenchbroom: Quite interesting. They are slightly more than double the expense of our service rifle, but should provide a good, and mobile, short-range firepower addition for trench warfare.
Field Gun: We need a test range?
Artillery tractor: Well.

Production: Looks good. The 10x60mmRS round is the new smokeless round, and is used in both the revolving cannon and the revolving rifle but can't be used in the pattern 782 troop rifle, right?

The main questions I have right now is:
a) How do we build anything?
b) How do we build an armament facility, how many people do we need?
c) What do we need to test our artillery, and how to build it?
d) What do we need to test and build a torpedo boat or something like it?

Edit: Since I stumbled over the naming scheme again, I wanted to bring up that it's quite inconvenient. For example, look at the Pattern 801 Light Revolving Cannon and the Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle Mk I. Those are pretty difficult to discern at first glance. I'd therefore propose we append instead of prepend the Pattern designation, changing the naming as such:

Pattern 782 Standard Troop Rifle --> Standard Troop Rifle Pattern 782
Pattern 784 Revolver --> Revolver Pattern 784
Pattern 793 Revolving Cannon --> 37mm Revolving Cannon Pattern 793
Pattern 800 Jupiter Automatic Pistol --> Automatic Pistol Pattern 800 "Jupiter"
Pattern 801 Light Revolving Cannon --> 10mm light revolving cannon Pattern 801
Pattern 801 Revolving Rifle Mk 1 --> Revolving Rifle Pattern 801 Mk 1
Pattern 802 Torpedo/Launcher, 14" --> 14" Torpedo/Launcher Pattern 802
Pattern 802 Trench Broom Auto Weapon --> Trench Broom Auto Weapon Pattern 802
Pattern 803 Torpedo, 15.7" --> 15.7" Torpedo Pattern 803
Pattern 803 Trench Broom Auto Weapon --> Trench Broom Auto Weapon Mk II Pattern 803
Pattern 803 Jupiter Automatic Pistol --> Automatic Pistol Mk II Jupiter Mk II" Pattern 803

Thoughts on that?

I'd also like to change us completely to metric measurements, assuming it's not too much work for you, Aseaheru.

Also, have  a list of all designs:
Starting Designs:
Spoiler: 10x30mm cartridge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 37mm cannon shell (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Officer's Sword (click to show/hide)

Designs of 800

Designs of 801

Designs of 802

Designs of 803
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:15:34 pm by 3_14159 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A test range would be nice for many things(currently rifles are tested by wandering into a field and shooting at something, often birds), that or some sort of advanced design lab for fancy stuff like wind tunnels, pools, who knows.
 Some things require specialized test facilities, namely rocket engines.

You dont know if the pattern 782 troop rifle can use the 10x60mMRS round, there hasent been enough ammo to test that and noone asked to.

Building things takes workers, or getting the republic to do it for you. Basically, they are just design actions, although they can make engineers specialized for that work, which may be a pain for you guys.
 For building ships, unless its something that can be built on the dockside and pushed in, you need a drydock.
 Everything else can be built in a factory.

Your naming scheme is fine with me, but may be good to see what everyone else thinks of it.

Going over to metric, I dunno. Depends on what everyone else thinks.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Metric FTW.

I'd like to suggest we look into a conversion process to let the old BP rifles use smokeless, and of course begin mass production of the new weapons.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 to metric.
There's not much point in converting the old BP rifles to use smokeless the entire breach and barrel needs to be stronger to take smokeless rounds.

Should we try to make a new bullet for the 10x60mmRS centerfire cartridge?
Some thing with a hard copper jacket for less lead deposits at the new higher muzzle velocities.
And a more pointed bullet to minimize air resistance.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

There's actually several cases in our world of old BP bolt-rifles being converted to smokeless. They're not the safest or the most durable, but for rear-echelon guards and such they're cheap, and not expected to do much shooting.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't want to spend any resources on the old rifles, we have a new better rifle to make.
Reworking thousands of old rifles will slow down the production of the new rifle.
Just keeping the ammo in production for now is easier.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

All right.

So, what's our manufacture portfolio? I'd like to try getting another factory assigned to us again.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A test range would be nice for many things(currently rifles are tested by wandering into a field and shooting at something, often birds), that or some sort of advanced design lab for fancy stuff like wind tunnels, pools, who knows.
So, how about this:
Test Range
Begin establishment of a general purpose testing range for our weaponry. Should include a small-arms range (taking care that the area behind the targets is resistant to those small arms, of course), a large open space for testing artillery and explosives, and several observation bunkers for hiding in observing the testing.

How many engineers would that probably take, and could we use it to test something designed this turn?

You dont know if the pattern 782 troop rifle can use the 10x60mMRS round, there hasent been enough ammo to test that and noone asked to.
Hm. We could design Funk's jacketed round right now (there are more important things, but they'd require a testing range). How about we include a testing project on using the 10x60mmRS round in the old Service Rifle and - if that should not work with minimal modifications - using a jacketed round with only 1/3rd the propellant weight (and therefore roughly the muzzle velocity of BP weaponry) instead? It will not perform as well, but should still lead to a lower cartridge weight and - more importantly - the elimination of the blackpowder smoke.

10x60mm S (standard) round
A 10x60mm aerodynamic round with a hard copper jacket and using smokeless powder, it is designed to be used with the Repeating Rifle Mk 1. Tests should be done with the Service Rifle, too. Should the round be too powerful, also adapt a modification (the 10x60mm SL (standard, low-powered) which only uses 1/3rd of the propellant.

Building things takes workers, or getting the republic to do it for you. Basically, they are just design actions, although they can make engineers specialized for that work, which may be a pain for you guys.
 For building ships, unless its something that can be built on the dockside and pushed in, you need a drydock.
 Everything else can be built in a factory.
How many people to build a small arms factory? Can we build a torpedo boat prototype on the dockside and how many people would we need to build a drydock ready to take it?

All right.

So, what's our manufacture portfolio? I'd like to try getting another factory assigned to us again.
Right now, I'd say we continue with this. If we are able to design a torpedo boat in this turn, we produce that one too. Should we be able to build a small-arms factory, I'd say we produce more rifles, and perhaps another line for the light repeating cannon.

What else might we design this turn? Personally, my highest priority would be field artillery (but we need a testing range), followed by the torpedo boat (but we might need a drydock). We might also design a mortar or grenades, though I'd favour equipment (i.e. steel helmets and load-bearing gear) first. In any case, I believe it'd be best to limit us to two, at most three projects due to our limited number of engineers.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isint a set number of people needed to do anything, besides atleast one.

Also, I am under the impression that having toomuch empty space in a cartridge can cause it to explode in less useful ways(AKA, blowing apart the gun).
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Apparently not with smokeless, but I'd probably take precautions against that in any case.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isint a set number of people needed to do anything, besides atleast one.
I should reformulate then: How many people would we probably need to have a reasonable chance of completing it?

Also, I am under the impression that having toomuch empty space in a cartridge can cause it to explode in less useful ways(AKA, blowing apart the gun).
I was assuming using a normal cartridge (not yet filled with powder), then pour something (molten metal?) into it, blocking 2/3rds of the propellant space. Wait for it to cool, then fill with powder.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was assuming using a normal cartridge (not yet filled with powder), then pour something (molten metal?) into it, blocking 2/3rds of the propellant space. Wait for it to cool, then fill with powder.
Mutters some stuff about powder burn rates and pressure spikes.
If we need less powder then just add less powder.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49