Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49

Author Topic: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-GAME DEAD  (Read 62224 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Design Engineers of The Republic (Weapon Design Game)-BATTLE REPORT 808!
« Reply #510 on: August 15, 2016, 10:30:20 pm »

Anyone know how to start writing normally after quoting cause I read the help stuff and it didn't explain it at the very least not well.
Cause it would make continuing/starting discussions a lot easier.

Click out of the [/quote] bbcode?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2016, 01:23:51 am »

Something we might want to look at a decadish from now is an aircraft carrier. Japan had an aircraft carrier in the 1920s of roughly 7,500t. It would be quite the investment, but hopefully in about 10 turns time we'll be in a position where we can afford to create a drydock of that size as well as have designed and have the available resources to create such a ship. Of course, who knows were we'll be 10 turns from now.

@Concrete: It would definitely improve defensive structures once we're in a position to settle into an occupied area. It's probably going to have to wait until we start gaining new engineers regularly such that we can afford the man power to invest in building improvements. My best guess would be 3 to 5 turns from now at soonest.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2016, 03:30:42 am »

Well from what I can tell it's concrete in all walks of life that's like this so when we do make concrete it'll likely help both military and civilian efforts such as bunkers and infrastructure respectively.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2016, 03:50:15 am »

I don't doubt that. When we are capable of it, it will provide some nice structural gains all around. Currently though, we have our next two turns about plotted out presuming the Monarchy doesn't pull something drastic such that we need to change our plans in major ways. We'll also have to produce said concrete as well as invest in structures to produce it. I'm seeing some appeal with exporting it, but there are other things we can invest in for manufacturing for export that will have direct military applications (aluminium at the very least) before we get to Better Concrete TM.

I'll make sure to add it to the list as well as other designs and buildings mentioned.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2016, 12:19:00 pm »

Fixed defenses are worthless to us. If we need defenses we are doing something wrong.

Effort spent on defenses is effort lost, as we need to keep pushing forward lest we lose. I doubt that we can do much to improve infrastructure, as that is not our job. We design weapons and battlefield technology, handle war production, and nothing else. Trying to design civilian techs (such as better concrete) is likely to be ruled out of our scope by the GM. After all, if a light engineering vehicle is ruled "not our job" I can't see concrete being approved.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »

If memory serves, the particular commentary on that was "won't make a distinguishable difference" rather than outside our scope. So the concrete probably won't have any noticeable in war effects, though it has potential as an export.

I recently read a thread that ended up going into the concept of fixed defenses in relation to the French in WW2. It sums up as, if they had instead used those resources for the development and production of their airforce (or really anything else) things probably would have gone differently, though there's a world of what ifs there so grain of salt.

I'm personally a huge fan of fixed defenses. They simply are not an efficient option at the moment unless we're able to develop a system to rapidly create new fortifications in a matter of hours rather than days due to our current needs in combat.

Sandbags might suit those purposes, but as they were around in the late 18th century (1790ish), we probably already have them in the field.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:45:21 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 17, 2016, 02:09:25 am »

An idea on naming conventions.

As it turns out, the Swordfish is the name of a British airplane. I purpose that we name our land vehicles after ships, our ships after aircraft, and our aircraft after land vehicles. This naming convention has an advantage of confusing the hell out of our enemy if they manage to learn the names of the designs without additional details. This way we can wage an additional layer of war through misleading information. If they do get some details on the design as well as the name, they might also be mislead into thinking it has a different role than the one we intend for it.

If none are apposed, I recommend we name our tank after the HMS Albatross.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:44:22 am by somemildmanneredidiot »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:03 am »

I would imagine a timed explosive able to be set underwater is a simple enough matter. Some simple clockwork, a casing full of explosive, done.

Aseaheru, do we have ready access to aluminum?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2016, 08:09:58 am »

You will find out. :P

On naming conventions, note that the Swordfish was a Royal Navy design. You know, the people who had railway guns(and trains) and designed tanks.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:56 am »

Huh, so it was.

I want to be surprised and was for some moments, but the Royal Navy did get the lion's share of everything if my memory is correct, because of Britain being an island. Makes as much sense as anything that they ended up handling those things.

@Aluminum: If we aren't able to produce it ourselves, we'll probably want to start setting that up in 3+ turns time.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 17, 2016, 08:59:29 pm »

Hey in terms of tank development I have a couple design ideas and influences.Well for the medium tank idea here's a design we could possible use or at least influence the basic design:
The M2 Medium Tank:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/m2_medium_tank.php
http://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Medium_Tank_M2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Medium_Tank

For a light tank I'm thinking of well just a Renault FT with a 40mm gun:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/fr/renault_ft.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_FT

For a possible Heavy Tank what I have in mind is some kind of cross between a Saint Chamond and an A7V:
-Saint Chamond:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/fr/ww1-char_saint_chamond.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Chamond_(tank)
-A7V:
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/germany/sturmpanzerwagen_A7V.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A7V

Hopefully with better mobility than either but anyways what do you think? They don't have to be exact replicas-likely do to current engine limitations-but I'm just throwing out some ideas.
Also I might do a separate post on vehicles of a lighter caliber.

Edit:
Hey Aseaheru is there a Geneva Conventions or International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
equivalent/s in this world? Cause me and my brother along with the infantry stuff are putting down medic/medical
ideas an some information would be appreciated.
Just to make sure you didn't miss it by accident Aseaheru is there anything like those in this world?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Committee_of_the_Red_Cross
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:24:05 pm by Slick »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 18, 2016, 08:37:59 am »

Nope and nope. Closest thing are basically St. Petersburg treaties between different nations promising not to use X on eachother.
Highly Opinionated Fool

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:53 pm »

Reading about the M2, it's basically an upscaled version of what I originally suggested for the tank. Which is to say, I'm all for it. Looking it over, with a 340HP engine, it's definitely going to need to be an "inspired by" design rather than a replica. It also has thicker armor (for the most part) than both of the heavy tanks you have listed.

It's basically a WW1 tank built with WW2 industry and tech from what I've read about it. Awesome in concept for us,  but we lack a few perquisite designs to be able to pull it off. Presuming recruitment efforts are successful, I think we can begin designing the medium tank in about 5 to 7 turns, accounting for a similarly sized engine being designed and infrastructure being built up.

Depending on where we are tech wise and industry wise, I think we can aim to build off of the above tank for the capabilities of our heavy tank when we get to that point.

@Aseaheru: Do we have any St. Petersburg treaties with the Monarchy?

Presuming that we don't, a question we should ask is how willing are we to commit what we consider war crimes? Chemical weaponry could be very devastating to their trenches.

I'm of the thinking of designing one chemical artillery shell and not releasing it. Just holding onto it, and if the Monarchy decides to pursue that path, we're ready to treat them in kind. I don't think the game mechanics quite work that way though, at least not with munitions.

Pi previously mentioned the possibility of them deploying planes soon if my memory is correct. It's just occurred to me that with their 100HP diesel engine, they might also be in a position to be releasing tanks very soon as well. If we can spare one or two engineers this turn and the next, designing a 10mm tracer round and a 10mm Sabot AP round respectively, it could provide some advance defense against the related craft.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »

Republic Turn!

Well, while our allies hemmed and hawed about sending us aid and about possibly opening a second land-based front to this war, our engineers have been hard at work in the labs.

So, starting from the top, we begin with the Pattern 808 RS-MP. Weighing in at over two hundred pounds of this, that, and other things (including the oak chests that hold everything during transit), the RS-MP is costly, not particularly reliable, and(of course) heavy. However, it is blessed with a long range(in good conditions) and in using little exotic material.

Next up, we have the Mule Truck, intended to fill the gaps in our own logistics system. Sadly, due in part to its... Interesting engine arrangement(with one engine per axle, and located on said axle) our engineers have, at this point, been unable to complete the design this year.

Moving quickly on, we have the work done on our uniform update, which was detailed to be based on a dull, lightly patterned fabric and come in various articles of clothing, consisting of three forms of pants, a winter coat, and a shirt. Many features of the old uniform will be kept as a result, such as the leather shoes and puttees. After quite a bit of work, mostly in finding civilian factories who can manufacture the cloth and then make the actually uniform components, the engineers announce that they have finished, if not quite to requirement than certainly close enough.
 The resulting clothing... Is not the best. The particular type of wool used in the cloth is stiff, the dyes used run, the manufactures skimped at times in the actual quality, and in the end the uniform is not all that different than those currently in existence.

Next up, we have things we throw to make go boom! Or sometimes, fit to end of gun, load special shiny bit, and that make go fly to go boom!
 *ahem*
 Anyways, the Pattern 808 Fragmentation and High Explosive hand grenade, designed to work when thrown by hand or by rifle, are best described as tall, slightly ribbed cylinders (about two inches in diameter) with a socket at one end for fitting to a rifle or to a stick and a four-second timed fuse inside. The fragmentation qualities of the weapon are... poor, perhaps directly due to the massive explosive load of the bombs. In addition, the actual weight of the grenades is quite large, weighing in at two pounds!

Following along, we have those poor sods who where tasked with making our mortar rounds better do their jobs. Sadly, not only where they unable to do this, but they also nearly lost one of their member, when an untrained munitions engineer attempted to increase the payload by strapping one of the prototype 808FHEs to a warhead and nearly lost their life to go along with their arm.

There where a group of engineers tasked with building a training center. After misplacing their orders, they spent the year mostly on holiday, teaching each other things now and then. So, atleast they got something out of it.

One team was tasked with building a factory complex for the production of trucks and truck engines, which they managed to get open before the year officially ended.

However, a quite similar group tasked with constructing a general equipment factory, but due to some rather horrific problems with the ground where unable to do much more than get down a cornerstone.

In good news of this year, our grand and glorious allies to the north have sent us a number of designs for equipment from within their own military, which consist of a shockingly large siege mortar, a 6" naval gun they have had in use for a fair few years now, and a agricultural tractor typically used to move about field guns in rough terrain by their army. We received nothing from the south, mostly due to their most advanced designs being from us.

A grand total of nine engineers where sent to join us, of whom eight had no formal training past highschool.

Now, lets talk about our supply situation, shall we? Our nation is one of wide forests(mostly of evergreens), stereotypical hills and tall mountains. We are blessed with large deposits of coal, copper and iron and have highly fertile farms in the south. Two smallish oil fields have historically been able to fulfill our needs, but the expected demand for diesel and gasoline will likely affect this. Large foundries produce steel, even though the flux needed comes mostly from without our lands. Aluminum is mostly imported, typically as bauxite from those places that provide us with flux.

Spoiler: Resource Situation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Designs of 808 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment Stocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Acquired Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:34:21 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Do we want to make one? I personally like the idea of not doing blatantly evil stuff and getting rolled over by larger nations' ire, and setting up a system to help prevent others doing so would give us some nice morality points if nothing else.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49